Crabtree to re-enter draft

it is called collusion but i agree it woud send a big message

When I hear about "collusion" I usually think about area gas stations getting together and deciding to jack-up prices, which is illegal. I'm sure there are other examples too. But, I have never heard of collusion in the context of owners deciding not to draft a college player. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, can someone enlighten me? I wouldn't think this would involve the NFL Players Association since he is not an NFL player. Under what specific law, professional or civil, would this be considered illlegal?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not clear what you mean by "rent" on a mortgage.

Sorry meant interest, rent is a translation slip of mine. Dutch word for interest is rente, so I typed rent instead of interest.

Say your mortgage is 100k at an interestrate of 5%, that means you pay 5k in interest which you may deduct from your highest part of income tax you pay (yes it favors those who earn more) which means you may deduct 52% of 5k. Now given that the average mortgage is around 250k it brings the average tax payed down to 40%.

Sorry meant interest, rent is a translation slip of mine. Dutch word for interest is rente, so I typed rent instead of interest.

Say your mortgage is 100k at an interestrate of 5%, that means you pay 5k in interest which you may deduct from your highest part of income tax you pay (yes it favors those who earn more) which means you may deduct 52% of 5k. Now given that the average mortgage is around 250k it brings the average tax payed down to 40%.

Thank you. I thought you meant interest.

When I hear about "collusion" I usually think about area gas stations getting together and deciding to jack-up prices, which is illegal. I'm sure there are other examples too. But, I have never heard of collusion in the context of owners deciding not to draft a college player. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, can someone enlighten me? I wouldn't think this would involve the NFL Players Association since he is not an NFL player. Under what specific law, professional or civil, would this be considered illlegal?

Sherman Anti-Trust Act. Research MLB and collusion by the owners to get a reference for pro sports.

GO BILLS!!!

Spikes weighs in on the Crabtree holdout.

“As players, nobody is against Michael Crabtree,” Spikes said. “As players, we understand the business of the game because if you’re fortunate enough to stay in it long enough you’re gonna go through some disputes as to whether or not you’re getting paid your value or you’re underpaid, or whether or not there’s a team that wants to pay you. Now, one thing I can say is that I know he has to handle his business…”

Spikes weighs in on the Crabtree holdout.

“As players, nobody is against Michael Crabtree,” Spikes said. “As players, we understand the business of the game because if you’re fortunate enough to stay in it long enough you’re gonna go through some disputes as to whether or not you’re getting paid your value or you’re underpaid, or whether or not there’s a team that wants to pay you. Now, one thing I can say is that I know he has to handle his business…”

Spikes is a classy guy - nice words to say to the world but I bet in private he and the rest of the team are pissed.

Spikes is a classy guy - nice words to say to the world but I bet in private he and the rest of the team are pissed.

You're right about Spikes. Total class act.

But I have to respectfully disagree that anyone on their team is pissed. I doubt they spend any time at all thinking about him. It's like the coaches; they coach who's there. Would they like to have him? I'm sure they would. But they've got too much to worry about getting ready for each game to waste any time/emotion on something out of their hands.

GO BILLS!!!

Ok. I understand the argument for Clarett, but he was not even a projected 1st round pick. Crabtree was named the #1 OVERALL PLAYER IN THE DRAFT. Clarett was not even Top 5 in his class, and 8 Running Backs went before him.

Clarett set a school record, that's it. He was not Freshman of The Year, at all and didn't win any awards or honors.

Look at Michael Crabtree's resume...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Crabtree#Recognition

Enough said.

I think the fact that Crabtree fell as far as he did may speak more to a lack of character than his talent level. I also think that his insistence that he get top 5 money this season means that teams will a.) be scared off from picking him very high next year (2nd round maybe, where the salaries and bonuses are lower), and b.) will be more likely to blackball him so he won't get rewarded for sitting out and burning the 49ers. GMs do speak with each other on a pretty regular basis, and no doubt take a dim view of any player that tries to screw a team and upset the salary structure.

I don't see how this can work out in Crabtree's favor. He is holding out because he wants top 5 money, so why would he be happy with even less money if he drops in the draft? He will either get drafted in the top 5 and get paid what he wants (which, after a year away from football, I doubt) or his agent will agree to a reduced deal with tons of escalator clauses BEFORE anyone will risk drafting him later than that. I expect the latter. My guess is that teams will be willing to try a late 1st round early second round pick with the right kind of deal.

The 49ers should draft him, again, next year and offer him far less than they offered him this year.

It might not be a good move for the 49ers, but it would amuse me. And, that's really what is important here.

The 49ers should draft him, again, next year and offer him far less than they offered him this year.

It might not be a good move for the 49ers, but it would amuse me. And, that's really what is important here.

It would amuse all of us. I love the idea. Crabtree could go down in history as a big loser. I really don't like to wish ill on people but if he broke a leg or tore a ligament riding a bike or something innocuous, I would not mourn. Prima donnas are a dime a dozen. He is a jerk.

It would amuse all of us. I love the idea. Crabtree could go down in history as a big loser. I really don't like to wish ill on people but if he broke a leg or tore a ligament riding a bike or something innocuous, I would not mourn. Prima donnas are a dime a dozen. He is a jerk.

actually, i like the idea of no one drafting crabtree and seeing him in the cfl or ufl. what an idiot!

+2. Niners have all the power. They are kicking ass without crabtree. How much money has Crabtree made so far?

I think the fact that Crabtree fell as far as he did may speak more to a lack of character than his talent level. I also think that his insistence that he get top 5 money this season means that teams will a.) be scared off from picking him very high next year (2nd round maybe, where the salaries and bonuses are lower), and b.) will be more likely to blackball him so he won't get rewarded for sitting out and burning the 49ers. GMs do speak with each other on a pretty regular basis, and no doubt take a dim view of any player that tries to screw a team and upset the salary structure.

Yeah, and again, blackballing a guy is collusion.

Now, that would only be illegal if it came out publicly. Ever tell a secret to 32 guys and expect it to stay secret? It doesn't work out. Seriously.

Nobody will blackball the guy. But now he will be seen as a signing risk and a character risk as well as a talent risk. That will cause him to fall, probably to the mid to late first, though all of this is just a guess, really.

Yeah, and again, blackballing a guy is collusion.

Now, that would only be illegal if it came out publicly. Ever tell a secret to 32 guys and expect it to stay secret? It doesn't work out. Seriously.

Nobody will blackball the guy. But now he will be seen as a signing risk and a character risk as well as a talent risk. That will cause him to fall, probably to the mid to late first, though all of this is just a guess, really.

There is about Zero chance:

32 "competitors" could agree on this and actually not violate that agreement.

The collusion wouldn't be discovered if they did manage to pull it off.

The NFL would win in court should it be discovered.

If you want to make Crabtree a VERY rich man without playing a game, an agreement to not draft/sign him might be the best way to go about it.

That is a little silly. There is no way he falls out of the 1st Round, let alone the Top 3.

He actually had 2 great years. His Freshman and Sophomore seasons he was a unanimous decision for "The Nation's Top Wide Receiver." He won the Paul Warfield and Bilitnekoff awards.

I would say that Crabtree is much better and more highly touted than those 2. He is well-known as well, those 2 were not.

He won't fall down to the 5th round, no way, but top 3? His stock can't go up and he wasn't close to top 3 this year. I guess it will be late 1st round to early 3rd round. His attitude is going to scare alot of teams away, as will his inactivity this year. He might go to the Bengals, they are one of the only teams that seem to enjoy drafting head cases and then wonder why it doesn't work out for them.

I think that would be great, then offer him less than they did this year. I don't see it happening though, it would be like going without a first round pick for a possible second year in a row. Would serve the idiot right though. Could you imagine this overrated in his own mind diva dealing with Mike Singletary? Maybe that is why he doesn't sign, he is scared of that stare that Singletary used to give before a snap.