Could AVP be the next Jason Garrett?

Pilsner

I know I'm being very optimistic and AVP hasn't proven anything yet. Yes, I'm sure most of the veteran posters will think this is preposterous. But I just wanted to point out a few similarities here. Neither one had previous OC experience. Both AVP and Garrett were smart (not spectacular) backups to hall of fame qb's. I'm sure most of you already know Garrett played behind Aikman and is now the Cowbows OC. A big difference is that Garrett was hired as OC and had a lot more time to install his offense. AVP has a whopping whole week to tweek Turk's offense into something useful. Garrett had a good offense his first year. If given enough time then perhaps AVP can tweek and tweek some more each and every week and get our offense going. Oh screw this "perhaps" stuff, I'm starting to talk like DJ. Ok AVP better make this work :wallbash:

I know I'm being very optimistic and AVP hasn't proven anything yet. Yes, I'm sure most of the veteran posters will think this is preposterous. But I just wanted to point out a few similarities here. Neither one had previous OC experience. Both AVP and Garrett were smart (not spectacular) backups to hall of fame qb's. I'm sure most of you already know Garrett played behind Aikman and is now the Cowbows OC. A big difference is that Garrett was hired as OC and had a lot more time to install his offense. AVP has a whopping whole week to tweek Turk's offense into something useful. Garrett had a good offense his first year. If given enough time then perhaps AVP can tweek and tweek some more each and every week and get our offense going. Oh screw this "perhaps" stuff, I'm starting to talk like DJ. Ok AVP better make this work :wallbash:

You do realize that Schonert was an OC with no previous experience, seemed fairly smart, and was a back-up QB on 2 SB team, backing up Ken Anderson and Boomer Esiason. I am hoping for more from AVP as OC, but to make a comparison at this point and time is impossible...

You do realize that Schonert was an OC with no previous experience, seemed fairly smart, and was a back-up QB on 2 SB team, backing up Ken Anderson and Boomer Esiason. I am hoping for more from AVP as OC, but to make a comparison at this point and time is impossible...

Good points.

Garrett also played more during Aikman's tenure. AVP rarely subbed for Kelly while he was around. The only time I remember is during the playoff game in Pittsburgh after the 1995 season, though there may have been a few other instances.

We're not going to know anything for a while. As you said, AVP has a whopping whole week to do something about this mess, so we won't see much this week. You really can't expect to build and install an offense effectively in a short period of time, especially during the regular season. What I'd do if I was Alex is to find out what the offense understands best, then build plays off of that...and throw away the rest of the play book.

The thing with Garrett is that once he was hired, it seemed obvious (IMO) that Jones wanted him to be the HC. I'm mildly surprised that Wade wasn't let go after last season, but he may have wanted Garrett to have another year under his belt.

I know I'm being very optimistic and AVP hasn't proven anything yet. Yes, I'm sure most of the veteran posters will think this is preposterous. But I just wanted to point out a few similarities here. Neither one had previous OC experience. Both AVP and Garrett were smart (not spectacular) backups to hall of fame qb's. I'm sure most of you already know Garrett played behind Aikman and is now the Cowbows OC. A big difference is that Garrett was hired as OC and had a lot more time to install his offense. AVP has a whopping whole week to tweek Turk's offense into something useful. Garrett had a good offense his first year. If given enough time then perhaps AVP can tweek and tweek some more each and every week and get our offense going. Oh screw this "perhaps" stuff, I'm starting to talk like DJ. Ok AVP better make this work :thumbdown:

It's difficult to imagine AVP being a whole lot worse than Snert was for most of last season. At least AVP won't have a hostile relationship with Dickie the J and an arrogant attitude with the players.

If AVP can get a solid core of 12 plays that the offense can execute effectively, we may, I stress MAY, see TE get some confidence back and the offense start to click.

It's difficult to imagine AVP being a whole lot worse than Snert was for most of last season. At least AVP won't have a hostile relationship with Dickie the J and an arrogant attitude with the players.

If AVP can get a solid core of 12 plays that the offense can execute effectively, we may, I stress MAY, see TE get some confidence back and the offense start to click.

Turk was a mediocre QB & proved to be a mediocre Coach as well. Go Alex, Go Bills. :thumbdown:

There once was an OC named Garrett.

Whose playcalling once had some merit.

But that trend did stop and job offers did drop

And now Cowboy fans can't even bear it.

hahaha...nice.

The OP obviously has missed the point that this is a make or break year for Garret as he is on the hot seat and if Wade if fired has about a 3% chance of being the next Dallas HC despite being kept for top dollar a couple years ago with the intent on him being their future HC.

There once was an OC named Garrett.

Whose playcalling once had some merit.

But that trend did stop and job offers did drop

And now Cowboy fans can't even bear it.

There once was qb named Van Pelt

Whose belly hung over his belt

The trainer did say, we'll try the Adkins' way

And watched this ol' doughboy melt

I know I'm being very optimistic and AVP hasn't proven anything yet. Yes, I'm sure most of the veteran posters will think this is preposterous. But I just wanted to point out a few similarities here. Neither one had previous OC experience. Both AVP and Garrett were smart (not spectacular) backups to hall of fame qb's. I'm sure most of you already know Garrett played behind Aikman and is now the Cowbows OC. A big difference is that Garrett was hired as OC and had a lot more time to install his offense. AVP has a whopping whole week to tweek Turk's offense into something useful. Garrett had a good offense his first year. If given enough time then perhaps AVP can tweek and tweek some more each and every week and get our offense going. Oh screw this "perhaps" stuff, I'm starting to talk like DJ. Ok AVP better make this work :unsure:

we better hope not since TO and he had a major beef (-=

The OP obviously has missed the point that this is a make or break year for Garret as he is on the hot seat and if Wade if fired has about a 3% chance of being the next Dallas HC despite being kept for top dollar a couple years ago with the intent on him being their future HC.

Completely disagree. I think Wade's on the hot seat and Garrett will be the HC once Wade is gone. Garrett is a Jerry Jones guy - Jones hired him to be OC, not Wade.

If Dallas' offense can play well, but they still don't make the playoffs (or lose in round 1), then Garrett's the new HC.

Two seasons ago agreed completly, but now I think much of the lusture has worn off of Garrett. Alot of the blame for the Coyboys problems are on offense, which Garrett has been in charge of. So again I'm not so sure JJ is still in love with him

Completely disagree. I think Wade's on the hot seat and Garrett will be the HC once Wade is gone. Garrett is a Jerry Jones guy - Jones hired him to be OC, not Wade.

If Dallas' offense can play well, but they still don't make the playoffs (or lose in round 1), then Garrett's the new HC.