qb dilemma

Anyone else agree edwards has the smarts but not the tools he can't throw downfield :) ???????????

Edwards could use a stronger arm...but thats not the main problem at present.His arm is sufficient to get the job done--as was Brian Sipe's,Billy Kilmer's,Johnny U's,Joe Montana's,etc etc.

He just needs to develope more fire,more killer instinct...more mental toughness.

QBing is more about refusal to lose than about IQ. Case in point--Joe Montana,Terry Bradshaw,John Elway,Dan Marino,Jim Kelly.None of those guys is heading to a mensa meeting.Ever.

Edwards could use a stronger arm...but thats not the main problem at present.His arm is sufficient to get the job done--as was Brian Sipe's,Billy Kilmer's,Johnny U's,Joe Montana's,etc etc.

He just needs to develope more fire,more killer instinct...more mental toughness.

QBing is more about refusal to lose than about IQ. Case in point--Joe Montana,Terry Bradshaw,John Elway,Dan Marino,Jim Kelly.None of those guys is heading to a mensa meeting.Ever.

:)

The will to win is what made all those guys what they were. That is the vast difference between

our 90's teams vs. todays. I miss the total team effort.

:)

The will to win is what made all those guys what they were. That is the vast difference between

our 90's teams vs. todays. I miss the total team effort.

The difference between the 90's teams and today is that there were All-Pros and Hall of Famers all over the field in the 90's, and not today. We are completely lacking in talent.

The difference between the 90's teams and today is that there were All-Pros and Hall of Famers all over the field in the 90's, and not today. We are completely lacking in talent.

Nonsense! The sheer will of men united in a single cause to WIN against all odds is all you need. Everybody knows that.

Talent? Save that for teams that don't have the WILL TO WIN!

GO BILLS!!!

Anyone else agree edwards has the smarts but not the tools he can't throw downfield :) ???????????

I remember when people used to B word about Jimbo and say that Reich should start.

I remember when people used to B word about Jimbo and say that Reich should start.

And we probably would have won a couple of those SBs if Reich HAD been starting.

But I guess we'll just never know now, will we.

Seriously, I remember people saying the same thing. Thank God this BB wasn't around back then. I would have been scarred for life!

GO BILLS!!!

Trent throws deep, gets an INT, and we are calling for more deep balls?

I guess we only have one possibility if Trent is sufficient, namely TO. If he can't get the ball to TO we will know about it and the Edwards experiment will be over. Evans is not enough to test him the way Evans currently plays.

Anyone else agree edwards has the smarts but not the tools he can't throw downfield :unsure: ???????????

Uhh...no...Edwards arm is plenty strong enough to make all the throws. In fact, I would say he has an above average arm for an NFL QB. The problem is he is afraid to throw downfield unless a guy is open like he used to be in highschool, with no defender within 5 yards of him...

Trent's problem isn't that he's coming up short on receivers 30 yards downfield in favor of an RB in the flat, it's that he's not throwing to receivers 12 yards downfield in favor of an RB in the flat. He can throw the distance. It's just about being willing to take those shots and make those throws, consistently.

If you matched up Trent's brain with JP's arm, you'd pretty have what you've got now. A guy who can throw long but chooses to throw short safe passes primarily. Look back at the long pass to Lee Evans in the Seattle game last year and the 35 yard pass or so in the Bears game. He can do it.

Also not sure if it's 100% coaching either. When Trent was in Saturday all passes were short. He leaves the game, and Fitz and Hamdan are able to find guys 20 yards down field. Why is that? Different plays being called? Maybe. The #1 defense was out, sure, but the #1 OLine and receivers and RBs were out too.

Uhh...no...Edwards arm is plenty strong enough to make all the throws. In fact, I would say he has an above average arm for an NFL QB. The problem is he is afraid to throw downfield unless a guy is open like he used to be in highschool, with no defender within 5 yards of him...

Exactly. He doesn't have the balls to throw it unless the guy is wide open. He is afraid (or can't) to throw the ball into the small window that is considered an open receiver in the NFL. This isn't college, everything is not only faster, the margin-of-error is much smaller too.

I don't think he will do it, or he would have done it by now. I think it goes against his instincts as a player. This is almost a defining characteristic of the "Backup QB". They are safe, know the playbook guys, that can't make anything happen.

Edwards is more Kelly Holcomb than Jim Kelly.

I hope I'm wrong.....

As Tcali pointed out, I don't think Edwards' arm is the problem. He can make all the throws. For whatever reason -- be it coaching or his own confidence level -- he SEEMS to be unwilling to take chances and make those tight throws.

I believe that throwing to a receiver who is "covered" is the most difficult thing for a young NFL QB to learn. Some guys are so confident in their abilities and arm strength they don't give it a second thought (Elway, Marino, Kelly). Edwards is obviously not one of those.

I hate to even bring him up, but Brady is a great example of this. I can't tell you how many times I've watched a replay of a throw and was amazed by how the receiver looked covered when he let the ball go. Brady does not have a rocket, but he knows where his receivers are supposed to be and he puts the ball there. More importantly, the receivers get there also.

T.O. may turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to Trentative. He'll demand the ball, even when he's covered.

Trent throws deep, gets an INT, and we are calling for more deep balls?

I guess we only have one possibility if Trent is sufficient, namely TO. If he can't get the ball to TO we will know about it and the Edwards experiment will be over. Evans is not enough to test him the way Evans currently plays.

agreed