The Curse of Nate Odomes (Crowell done)

http://www.nfl.com/preseason/story?id=0900...mp;confirm=true

It has struck again.... Bills FA need to know their history before they go their separate ways with this franchise... it doesn't pay....

(see also: Sam Cowart)

Name the last former Bills player to leave for bigtime FA money that made it elsewhere??

I can only think of one: Pat Williams

BTW - If you try to lob me Jim Leonard, Justin Bannan I will get ill...

It has struck again.... Bills FA need to know their history before they go their separate ways with this franchise... it doesn't pay....

Name the last former Bills player to leave for bigtime FA money that made it elsewhere??

winfield?

Crowell got "bigtime FA money"?

Antoine I'll give you guys - good call... solid NFL starter and pro-bowl alternate once since leaving... loved him!

Clements - no way... cornerstone of one of the worst ranked pass defenses in the entire league.

(which arguably makes him one of the most overpaid players at his position)

'08 Stats - 63 tkls, 1 FF, 2 ints

(T. McGee - 66 tkls, 3 ints... for a lot less $$) - although didn't have his best outing last night either....

Gandy?!? Coy Wire (aka John Wendling!?!) Give me a break with those two calls!!!

You're streatching.

Antoine I'll give you guys - good call... solid NFL starter and pro-bowl alternate once since leaving... loved him!

Clements - no way... cornerstone of one of the worst ranked pass defenses in the entire league.

(which arguably makes him one of the most overpaid players at his position)

'08 Stats - 63 tkls, 1 FF, 2 ints

(T. McGee - 66 tkls, 3 ints... for a lot less $$) - although didn't have his best outing last night either....

Gandy?!? Coy Wire (aka John Wendling!?!) Give me a break with those two calls!!!

You're streatching.

Gandy has been a mainstay on that team since he got there. The LT on a Super Bowl team in a pass happy offense is anything but a stretch.

Ted Washington did well for several years, including winning an SB or two, right? Ruben Brown. Sammy Morris is doing all right, although I don't know if you'd call him a big-ticket guy. Antowain Smith did alright for a few years, also winning an SB, yeah?

Definitely London Fletcher is a top guy for the Skins.

Cowart suffered an injury while playing for the Bills that pretty much ended his career. Had nothing to do with leaving as a FA.

Ted Washington did well for several years, including winning an SB or two, right? Ruben Brown. Sammy Morris is doing all right, although I don't know if you'd call him a big-ticket guy. Antowain Smith did alright for a few years, also winning an SB, yeah?

Definitely London Fletcher is a top guy for the Skins.

All good calls... Big Ted (another all-time fav)

I think any of our current players could go to a team like the Pats and immediately be more productive - it's a lot easier when you're surrounded by much better talent around you. (Antowain, Sammy & Leonard)

i was going to say clements also, but after just 2 years, i dont think i can say he "made it" in sf yet

With that paycheck, I don't think it really bugs him all that much. He could've stayed in Buffalo and lost just as many games, but all while making a lot less. Looking at the original post in this thread, leaving definitely did pay off for Clements.

Gandy has been a mainstay on that team since he got there. The LT on a Super Bowl team in a pass happy offense is anything but a stretch.

This is true, proving that either Gandy is a better LT than Peters or that LT is the most overrated and overpaid position in pro sports.

This is true. He refused to play in his last game as a Bill - @ Dolphins. Scumball move.

This is not true. He was benched in the last game for getting into Greggo's & assistants' face during practice. He was a FA in the offseason and Bills didn't resign him.

This is true, proving that either Gandy is a better LT than Peters or that LT is the most overrated and overpaid position in pro sports.

At one time the LT position was a very important position in pro sports, but there has been a drop in the quality of game changing RDEs since then...

Reggie and Bruce played for great teams. Other great teams of the time; who competed with them in the division, conference, and SBs, had to have great LTs to attempt to counteract both of these players...In today's league, yes there are good defensive players, but the most dominate right now seem to be LBs...a tough stout and overall good OL is what's currently relevant in the league...which does diminsh the need for a true outstanding LT

Marcellus Willey had a good year or two with SD but never was quite the beast he was in Buf.

Maybe a lot of the FA take this route..... Take steroids or HGH early in their career until they get their FA contract. Once they get the fat contract they stop the juice because of the long term side effects. They last a year or two or three but never meet past performance and then that's it. Sometimes injuries set in and they don't heal so quick without the juice.

This is not true. He was benched in the last game for getting into Greggo's & assistants' face during practice. He was a FA in the offseason and Bills didn't resign him.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...r-roundup_x.htm

My apologies GG - I stand corrected.... G. Williams was another top-notch asst we decided to let cut his HC teeth with us.

At one time the LT position was a very important position in pro sports, but there has been a drop in the quality of game changing RDEs since then...

Reggie and Bruce played for great teams. Other great teams of the time; who competed with them in the division, conference, and SBs, had to have great LTs to attempt to counteract both of these players...In today's league, yes there are good defensive players, but the most dominate right now seem to be LBs...a tough stout and overall good OL is what's currently relevant in the league...which does diminsh the need for a true outstanding LT

2 things:

1. Last year had quite a few 15+ sack defenders but out of the OLB position in a 3-4, which still falls on the tackles for blocking.

2, Reggie was a left end, meaning he faced Right tackles who were/are generally less proficient than the left tackles at pass blocking.

It goes a ways back, but Will Wolford and House Ballard did just fine after leaving the Bills during FA. Their leaving (along with Polian) was the beginning of the end of the Super Bowl era.

Wolford did very well. Ballard was just adequate.

Or that any position on the field can be filled with a below-average journeyman and the team can still win a Super Bowl - providing that the other guys on the team bring some truly extraordinary things to the table. Trent Dilfer, for instance. Or, gee, I don't know, just picking one out of the blue, Kurt Warner, whose extraordinary ability to get rid of the ball unbelievably quickly and still get it to the right place may have made Gandy look much better than he actually is.

Yeah. Parrella was cut, but I always thought that was a big lost opportunity for the Bills. Though they said he didn't fit the Bills system at the time.

Parrella was cut after he really quit and didn't have his heart in the game. I read that he had changed his mind about playing on the cross-country drive and rededicated himself to football.

Somebody already said it, but it's worth repeating. The best pass rushers still line up across from the LT, though many of them are now called LBs instead of RDTs.

Lawrence Taylor was an LT too. Still made a hell of a handful for Bruce Smith.