Texting while driving PSA

duey

I had to stop when I saw the Baby.

I watched it all the way through last night...just once. I'm still sick over it today. But it really does (I hope) drive home such an important message. One has to believe it was inspired by what happened to those girls outside of Rochester a few years ago.

im trying to find the article i read the other day... it went something along the lines of:

a trucking company had hired a research firm to track behavior and habits of their drivers. the whole point of the research was to find results about sleep and what not.

the company set up cameras in the cabs of the trucks to watch the drivers.

as a side result, and a much more interesting piece of data, the researchers found out (not surprisingly) that drivers who text messaged while driving were ~50% more likely to be in an accident.

It doesn't matter what the ______ is, if you "________ and drive", it's gonna be bad news. Drinking and driving. Texting and driving. Talking on your cell and driving. Applying makeup and driving. Smoking and driving. Eating and driving. Blasting music and driving.

Anybody ever heard of DRIVING and driving? While there is a major stigma around drinking and driving, it absolutely amazes me that it is considered acceptable to be preoccupied by anything while you're attempting to guide thousands of pounds of metal down the highway at 70 MPH. When I was six, my Mom was almost killed in an auto accident by a drunk driver(still suffers from the side effects to this day), and my blood just boils when I see a soccer mom driving a minivan with her kids in the back, taking a puff of her cigarette and talking on her cell, all the while trying to balance her coffee on the dashboard. :lol:

and my blood just boils when I see a soccer mom driving a minivan with her kids in the back, taking a puff of her cigarette and talking on her cell, all the while trying to balance her coffee on the dashboard. :wallbash:

So "paying attention to what everyone else is doing inside their vehicle and driving" is okay?

I was the victim of a careless driver not paying attention to what the !@#$ he was doing behind the wheel. As a result I was involved in a crash every bit as violent as what was depicted in that clip. I can tell you all that as disturbing as that video might be, the real deal is far, far worse than any staged accident can portray. Be careful out there, idiots lurk everywhere.

Last year in western NY the car full of girls died because of it .

A car full of 17 & 18 y.o. cheerleaders, 5 days after graduation - absolute tragedy...

link

Yet every day I see folks - youths and older adults who should know better - with a cigarette in one hand, a latte in another, and a cell fone in still another, while they use the remaining hand (just how many hands do they have, anyway?) to adjust the radio as they steer the car with their knees!

I am a huge proponent of doubling or tripling the fines for that offense along with strict enforcement and no tolerance - maybe even suspending the licenses of violators. JMO.

That video was gruesome - and every driver should be forced to watch it.

I was the victim of a careless driver not paying attention to what the !@#$ he was doing behind the wheel. As a result I was involved in a crash every bit as violent as what was depicted in that clip. I can tell you all that as disturbing as that video might be, the real deal is far, far worse than any staged accident can portray. Be careful out there, idiots lurk everywhere.

Best driving advice I ever got was from my gramps...assume that the guy in front of you, and the guy behind you, and the guys to your right or left, are all going to do something idiotic at some point, and probably simultaneously.

Best driving advice I ever got was from my gramps...assume that the guy in front of you, and the guy behind you, and the guys to your right or left, are all going to do something idiotic at some point, and probably simultaneously.

Amen. Words to live by.

Good advice, I received similar defensive driving pointers from my father. Still I had absolutely no chance to avoid what happened other than to not have gone to work that day. I was 35 when the accident happened, and up to that point in my driving career I had a near perfect driving record. No accidents, fender benders, speeding tickets or points on my license. The only blemish on my record was for not wearing a seat belt when I was maybe 21 or 22. I never failed to put on my seat belt after that and quite frankly it ended up saving my life.

When I was in England I was hanging out with some friends at their place watching TV, and they had all sorts of these scared straight commercials. One was for looking before crossing the street- the subject gets hit by a car. Another was a drunk driving accident. And the labels on the cigarette packs were graphic. We are way too sanitized in the US. The truth is brutal sometimes

Now if they were all buckled in to a nice Hummer H2 or H1 instead of that little euro trap... They might be fine. Look at James Dean's accident back in the 1950's... Almost head on at around 60 mph...The guy in the 1950 Ford Custom actually walked home. Dean's Spyder not so well.

I am only joking... Yet, something can be said about what I mentioned. Man was the car the girls were driving small!

It doesn't matter what the ______ is, if you "________ and drive", it's gonna be bad news. Drinking and driving. Texting and driving. Talking on your cell and driving. Applying makeup and driving. Smoking and driving. Eating and driving. Blasting music and driving.

Anybody ever heard of DRIVING and driving? While there is a major stigma around drinking and driving, it absolutely amazes me that it is considered acceptable to be preoccupied by anything while you're attempting to guide thousands of pounds of metal down the highway at 70 MPH. When I was six, my Mom was almost killed in an auto accident by a drunk driver(still suffers from the side effects to this day), and my blood just boils when I see a soccer mom driving a minivan with her kids in the back, taking a puff of her cigarette and talking on her cell, all the while trying to balance her coffee on the dashboard.

Very good points. I too agree with you. I did a speech on the New York State hands free law a few years ago and came across the same issues. Although texting is a bit different because it directly obverts your vision from the road, many things that distract us arent physical but more mental. Music, talking on the phone, kids in the backseat, or just plain daydreaming are all typical distractions that drives deal with on a daily basis. I like your the driving and driving statement, rings a lot of truth.