[closed]Rumor: Vick visited Buffalo

Mopreme

He surpassed Vick by a mile. In Ryan's first year, he threw for more yards than Vick ever did in a season, had a completion percentage Vick can only dream of, had a QB rating in excess of any Vick attained.

Ryan helped the Falcons make the playoffs in his rookie year. Vick didn't do that, either.

The Falcons can now operate in a steady manner, using all their tools. No coach in his right mind would ever trade what the Falcons have now for what they had with Vick.

I can't disagree with you at all. But it incenses me for people to sit here and pretend Vick was not a good and effective player because they personally don't like him, so I have to point out that he actually was successful, and as it stands, has more pluses to list on his resume than does Matt Ryan, although I suspect Ryan will far exceed that eventually. Probably not going to happen this year, however. I expect some fall off from last year. If not, Ryan will be up there with any quarterback in the league IMO considering how well he has handled the learning curve of the pro game.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "family dog" you are referring to here would have torn Lassie's throat out.

Ok that was over the top, but I was trying to make a point. Maybe you are missing the point: He took other breeds of dogs, say a collie, and threw it into a match with the pit bull until the pit killed or injured it. These dogs were owned by other people. These dogs are the family dogs I am talking about.

We will see what the Falcon's record is at the end of the season. We will see how often Matt Ryan finds Roddy White now that he's got big Tony to look for. Keep in mind, as of yet, Matt Ryan, for all his attention, has yet to surpass anything Vick did for the Falcons. Vick has won a playoff game, and made the Pro Bowl twice, neither of which Ryan can yet claim (I am almost certain that will change before his career ends though) And once again, I stated that Vick was a factor in the tremendous success of the RUNNING GAME, which yes, was actually opened up because of Vick's ability to scramble and the conundrum that places on a defense. My point is it would be so nice to have that conundrum to rely upon should TE get injured. It would be much nicer than say...the conundrum Ryan Fitzpatrick will place on the Bills should he ever need to enter the game.

I think what you're banking on is that we'd be getting the Mike Vick that took the Falcons to the playoffs. He is two years removed from the NFL and has gone though hell.

I am not disputing Vick's effect on a running game, and I'm sure any team that looks at Vick will be looking at him to run a wildcat type formation. I wouldn't doubt that if Vick could regain his sense of the field, he could easily open up defenses much more than a Ronnie brown or Darren McFadden. He is NOT a decent passer though, because of the reasons I stated in my earlier post.

I think Ryan and Roddy White's rapport is pretty solid, so Gonzalez will be more than likely an option. I'm sure he'll be an asset in helping White by drawing attention away from him. You don't invest $50M over 6 years in a guy that you don't think will be your main go to receiver. As far as comparing Vick's winning to Ryan's, c'mon. One season. Ryan was 11-5, so he already surpassed Vick's first season as a starter. He was also rookie of the year, which Vick didn't do. Do us both a favor and don't go to the winning comparison until we're a few years down the road.

Ok that was over the top, but I was trying to make a point. Maybe you are missing the point: He took other breeds of dogs, say a collie, and threw it into a match with the pit bull until the pit killed or injured it. These dogs were owned by other people. These dogs are the family dogs I am talking about.

In any link that you showed me, I did not see any mention of any other breed of dog than a pit bull. Every search I've performed since you brought to my attention this issue of Vick fighting family dogs, has yielded only pit bulls. No mention of any other breed, anywhere. In fact, this is the only mention I saw of the breed of these so called family dogs:

"Vick - who was sentenced to 23 months in federal prison last Dec.10 for his role in bankrolling a dogfighting operation called "Bad Newz Kennels" on his Surry County (Va.) property and for killing some of the underperforming dogs - placed family pet dogs in the fighting ring as trained pit bulls and "caused major injuries" to the pets, according to a 17-page Department of Agriculture report released Friday."

(cite:http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2008/11/22/2008-11-22_report_michael_vick_threw_untrained_fami.html)

That little excerpt leads me to believe that the family dogs were "untrained pit bulls". I saw no mention of any other breed anywhere in either article that you linked, or anywhere else on TV or the net for that matter. Not to mention - other than Rotweilers, I've never heard of anyone fighting any breed of dog beside a pit bull. It makes sense that if you want to gamble on dog fighting, you acquire the most vicious dogs possible. Nobody would place bets on Lassie, therefore there would be no incentive to make Lassie fight.

In any link that you showed me, I did not see any mention of any other breed of dog than a pit bull. Every search I've performed since you brought to my attention this issue of Vick fighting family dogs, has yielded only pit bulls. No mention of any other breed, anywhere. In fact, this is the only mention I saw of the breed of these so called family dogs:

"Vick - who was sentenced to 23 months in federal prison last Dec.10 for his role in bankrolling a dogfighting operation called "Bad Newz Kennels" on his Surry County (Va.) property and for killing some of the underperforming dogs - placed family pet dogs in the fighting ring as trained pit bulls and "caused major injuries" to the pets, according to a 17-page Department of Agriculture report released Friday."

(cite:http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2008/11/22/2008-11-22_report_michael_vick_threw_untrained_fami.html)

That little excerpt leads me to believe that the family dogs were "untrained pit bulls". I saw no mention of any other breed anywhere in either article that you linked, or anywhere else on TV or the net for that matter. Not to mention - other than Rotweilers, I've never heard of anyone fighting any breed of dog beside a pit bull. It makes sense that if you want to gamble on dog fighting, you acquire the most vicious dogs possible. Nobody would place bets on Lassie, therefore there would be no incentive to make Lassie fight.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2884063

On April 25, authorities raided a house in Surry County, Va., owned by Vick and reportedly found -- among other things -- 66 dogs (most of which were pit bulls), a dog-fighting pit, bloodstained carpets and equipment commonly associated with dogfighting. Vick was not at the scene and denied knowledge of dogfighting at the property. To this point, no charges have been filed against him. But questions about Vick and his possible connection to dogfighting linger.

Well, not even all the dogs from the raid were pit bulls.

Aye aye aye.

Dog breeders steal dogs to use in training. They are not the dogs they use to fight, and wager on. They are the dogs they use to train the fighting dogs.

Around here, dog fighters typically hunt hogs to train their dogs, and I'll put a hog hunter up against a Lassie slayer any day of the weak =p. Maybe it is just southern dog fighting etiquette, but even what few people I know that are into that sort of thing would find it appalling to fight them against dogs off the street. Obviously none of us knows really what Vick was into, but I've always had the sense that the media of course was blowing it way out of proportion. The reason: so that we will sit around and debate it on forums like this, rather than just let it die like it should. So I think he was involved in a typical dog fighting ring (which as surprising as it is to some of you, is actually quite commonplace), and I am simply stating that based on what evidence there is, his operation doesn't seem to be any worse than any other dog fighting operation.

Is it deplorable behavior? Well, in my opinion, not really. I understand why some people have such an issue with it, and I don't and wouldn't engage in it myself - but to sit here and say we can deal with the weapons charges and domestic violence cases of other athletes but cannot tolerate MV, seems hypocritical. I also would venture to say that those who feel that way (and I'm not including you in that category Dean, just got onto this schpeel while responding to your post, sorry) need to evaluate their priorities. Crimes against human beings, in my estimation, are far far worse than crimes against dogs. I'm not sure whether I feel that way because I place too little value on the life of animals or because I place too much value on the life of other humans - I'll let my detractors decide that.

Well, not even all the dogs from the raid were pit bulls.

@Booster

So they found other species on the premises but that does not suffice as evidence that those other dogs were being thrown into the ring. Maybe I'm stretching a little to make my point here, but you are stretching a lot to perpetuate your accusation that Vick through Lassie into the ring. It is a simple logical fallacy really. You just cannot say "Vick fought family dogs, and there were dogs on the premises that were not pit bulls, therefore Vick fought dogs that were not pit bulls," any more than I can say "Vick only fought pit bulls, and since there were other breeds of dog on the premises besides pit bulls, Vick obviously must not have fought those dogs." All we can say is that the only documentation of actual fighting occurred between pit bulls - and if you Google search "Michael Vick's Dogs" you will see page after page of him in what appears to be affectionate poses with his pits, which I presume is what the "Family Dogs" were - amongst pictures of battered and bloody dogs too, which also were all pits. There are NO pictures of any other breed anywhere on Google, so you can read into that however you like since you apparently are doing that anyway. You have to keep in mind that all journalism is subjective and I am very suspicious of how they worded these articles and that they may be trying to make it seem more heinous than it actually was. I find it hard to believe that anybody would throw a lab into a cage with a pit bull - there simply is not any compelling reason to do so, no matter what angle you see it from.

If you are trying to argue that MV is just a degenerate sociopath with no value for life, then maybe throwing lesser breeds into a cage with pits might make a little more sense. But to my eye (which I try to keep as objective as possible), he was in it to make money and have fun, neither of which could be satisfied for a typical person by watching one dog viciously slaughter another. The whole point of dog fighting is the same as boxing or football - you want to see a competitive contest - and stacking the deck really makes no sense unless you have money wagered on the match. In this particular case, I'd like to know who would wager money on Lassie in this situation, enough of it that would make it profitable to actually have Lassie in the ring. Or are you all just content to read about it on espn.com and formulate your opinion that MV actually is a degenerate sociopath, without any substantiated evidence to suggest as much?

somewhere in this world dog fighting, rooster fighting, Bull fighting, hunting wolves from helicopters, using blow touches on pigs for medical experiments, indiscriminate killing of civilians in occupied countries , torture, slavery, forced labor, sex slavery, testing chemical and biological agents on your own citizens, war crimes of every kind, violations of every human right, genocide and Jerry Springer have been or are being committed, much of it right in or by this country- if Vick has truly repented he's ahead of a lot of people.

somewhere in this world dog fighting, rooster fighting, Bull fighting, hunting wolves from helicopters, using blow touches on pigs for medical experiments, indiscriminate killing of civilians in occupied countries , torture, slavery, forced labor, sex slavery, testing chemical and biological agents on your own citizens, war crimes of every kind, violations of every human right, genocide and Jerry Springer have been or are being committed, much of it right in or by this country- if Vick has truly repented he's ahead of a lot of people.

The last torturers of note Saddam lads, Uday amd Qusay, were blown to hell, I think they

could have been saved by Tony Dungy

Yes, there are quite a few sick fuc#ers in this world. That is just too true.

I don't want those guys on my team either.

not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread already, but I always find the vick argument interesting in that one of this franchises favorite sons has been rumored to have some domestic abuse issues in his past. (besides OJ...) . Nothing official, but some regular and consistent stories from back in the day. I don't know the last time I've heard anyone mention anything about that guy being such a horrible person.

btw, i think vick is scum.

not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread already, but I always find the vick argument interesting in that one of this franchises favorite sons has been rumored to have some domestic abuse issues in his past. (besides OJ...) . Nothing official, but some regular and consistent stories from back in the day. I don't know the last time I've heard anyone mention anything about that guy being such a horrible person.

btw, i think vick is scum.

If I know it genuinely happened, they are scum in my eyes. There can be some extenuating circumstances (she had a knife), but otherwise, complete and utter scum.

I know some Bills have been accused (and guilty) of it, could you be more specific?

FWIW

Not that I believe it but I just heard a third-hand rumor that Vick flew into Buffalo tonite. Just saying.

I hate to be that guy, but I also heard from a friend of a friend who works airport security that Vick did fly in here relatively late this night, and the Bills are planning a noon press conference. I'm taking it with a grain of salt...

I hate to be that guy, but I also heard from a friend of a friend who works airport security that Vick did fly in here relatively late this night, and the Bills are planning a noon press conference. I'm taking it with a grain of salt...

This guy shows up like Clockwork.

I have to get this on record, but anyone who's spent five minutes with me knows this already ...

I don't want him here. I still can't forgive the nature of what he did. I am an animal lover. All three of my cats ae rescues. A crime against a domestic animal is particularly aggregious because they are ... well, DOMESTIC. They are bred to trust us. It's not like shooting a bear or a deer while hunting. You don't say "Here, bear..." and the bear comes running - eyes wide with unconditional trust - to be shot. What Vick did would not allow me to ever pay money to support a team that signs him. Including my beloved Bills. And again, if you know me, you know what it takes to say that... Fan since '68 ... attended 275 games (so far) ... It would take a LOT to get me to boycot. This would qualify.

i know this is only adding fuel to the speculative fire, but i just got a text message from a friend of mine in buffalo who said he heard Vick was staying at the hyatt downtown tonight. dont shoot the messanger, this is a rumor thread mind you.

I have to get this on record, but anyone who's spent five minutes with me knows this already ...

I don't want him here. I still can't forgive the nature of what he did. I am an animal lover. All three of my cats ae rescues. A crime against a domestic animal is particularly aggregious because they are ... well, DOMESTIC. They are bred to trust us. It's not like shooting a bear or a deer while hunting. You don't say "Here, bear..." and the bear comes running - eyes wide with unconditional trust - to be shot. What Vick did would not allow me to ever pay money to support a team that signs him. Including my beloved Bills. And again, if you know me, you know what it takes to say that... Fan since '68 ... attended 275 games (so far) ... It would take a LOT to get me to boycot. This would qualify.

<_<

Great post.

i know this is only adding fuel to the speculative fire, but i just got a text message from a friend of mine in buffalo who said he heard Vick was staying at the hyatt downtown tonight. dont shoot the messanger, this is a rumor thread mind you.

If Mike Vick stayed at the Hyatt downtown he would turn around and leave Buffalo and never come back...that place is a dump

If Mike Vick stayed at the Hyatt downtown he would turn around and leave Buffalo and never come back...that place is a dump

I was about to say the same thing...sheesh, what a way for us to show him the "wonders of Buffalo"!

I assume a trip to The Pink is next on the agenda?

PIA I am with you been a Bills fan since 1963, season tickets from 67 till 1990 when I moved from Buffalo. I also have rescue animals and as I stated in another thread I can forgive some crimes but this is beyond my ability to forgive.

I may still watch and listen however likely sell my tickets for the games I was planning on attending as well as not buying any Bills gear and would likely remove flags from house, stickers from Cars etc. Let him go to Dallas, Oakland or some other place but I would rather see another crappy season than have this guy on my team.