Honor or Disgrace?

Oh say does that Star Spangled Banner yet wave...  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Is this vet honoring the flag or disgracing it?

• Honor
    • Disgrace

The whole story can be found here: http://news.aol.com/article/tattered-us-fl...a-mans%2F604857

The short version is this: a 71 year old Vietnam veteran put a flag up the day his son left for Iraq and told him he would be the one to take it down when he returned. Since then the flag has been tattered and beaten by the weather and is in pretty sad shape. Neighbors are begging for him to take it down, but he refuses to do so until his son returns. Is he honoring the flag or is he disgracing it?

Personally, I think he his honoring the flag and his son by letting it fly ever watchful until he returns home from defending his country. Its not like he placed it upside down or defaced it in any manner.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole story can be found here: http://news.aol.com/article/tattered-us-fl...a-mans%2F604857

The short version is this: a 71 year old Vietnam veteran put a flag up the day his son left for Iraq and told him he would be the one to take it down when he returned. Since then the flag has been tattered and beaten by the weather and is in pretty sad shape. Neighbors are begging for him to take it down, but he refuses to do so until his son returns. Is he honoring the flag or is he disgracing it?

Personally, I think he his honoring the flag and his son by letting it fly ever watchful until he returns home from defending his country. Its not like he placed it upside down or defaced it in any manner.

I completely agree with you.

Some who have trouble with intent, and can't seem to understand the flag is symbolic, will see this as a violation of some black-and-white rules, and therefore a dishonor.

He honors the flag and his neighbors fail to honor it and his son by requesting that he take it down.

There's an air of history about this that respects the intent. During the Revolution and even after, flags would get seriously damaged during battle. Our national anthem was written about the flag flying through the night, and despite it getting shot through, singed by flares, etc. it was still there. Likewise, this man's flag is seeing tough times, yet it is still flying.

I can also appreciate the motive. I have two brothers who have done stints in the global hot spots. Each time they go, it doesn't get easier. You tell yourself that they're smart and strong, but that guarantees nothing. There you are, living your life pretty much as normal, and you just want some connection, something that the two of you share, something the son has to hold on to in order to get him through a tough day in the field, something to look forward to when your soldier returns home.

I don't really get the notion that we should all only be flying pristine flags. This seems to be a relatively recent concept with our 'consume-throw away-buy another' society.

And I don't really understand all the to-do about every one of the decorum rules for showing the flag, which I believe weren't developed until the Eisenhower admin. What about the flying of the 9/11 flag that was torn almost completely down the middle? Parading and flying it during the Salt Lake City Olympics? Was that proper decorum? Honor or disgrace? It all has to do with the motivation. In this case, I think the motivation is completely honorable.

Honor. I have seen American Flags flying from Navy ships throughout an entire 6-7 month deployment that were in less than great shape. I also think he needs to make sure to dispose of it correctly/responsibly when he does take it down.

without hesitation, honor

anyone who is criticizing him probably hasnt served in the armed forces. this sounds more like a HOA trying to keep their neighborhood pretty, rather than actually being concerned about "honoring the flag and the country"

You would have to be a huge wanker to even make an issue about this once you find out the story. If I went to complain about it at his house and found out the reason I'd apologize and tell him I hope his son comes home safe and soon.

Why anyone else wouldn't see that as the obvious answer to this is a real :rolleyes::beer:B-):):cry: :cry: :censored: Oh, yeah I forgot they're a :censored: too!

Duty, honor and sacrifice are too much for some people to understand ... too messy ... just give them platitudes and superficial pleasures ... oh, and to remind them that we have 2 wars going on ... heaven forbid ... they want to enjoy their freedom, but not to be reminded of how messy it is to stay free.

Personally, I'm perfectly fine with that. (I don't think, as a matter of law or regulation, it dishonors the flag to fly one in poor condition. Even if it were, I'd be perfectly happy to see an exception made in this case.)

But I have to add: You people are morons. He's not honoring the flag by keeping it up, he's honoring his son.

People are retarded. Any demonstration of the flag or how you use it is a clear cut example of free speech under the first amendment. There was a Supreme Court case recently that defended this as well, but I can't think of what it is.

Burn the flag all you want, its still free speech. It blows my mind that people are so stupid as to not realize the intent of the message.

If this man was a nearby neighbor, me and others would put in an inside circuit with switch, and buried conduit leading to a floodlight so he could illuminate that flag all night long, if he chose to.

If this man was a nearby neighbor, me and others would put in an inside circuit with switch, and buried conduit with a floodlight so he could illuminate that flag all night long, if he chose to.

It's so much easier now than it was when you were a kid and had to keep the whale-oil lamps burning, isn't it?