Honor or Disgrace?

Oh say does that Star Spangled Banner yet wave...  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Is this vet honoring the flag or disgracing it?

• Honor
    • Disgrace

A buddy of mine lived in an upscale Milwaukee suburb for several years. In their development, all houses had to have the same model mailbox outside their home. Mind you, not just conforming to some guidelines for height, color, etc...the exact same model. And, this putridity ugly mailbox was available from only one company. I'm guessing the association members were very big on "freedom", though.

When we were kids, we always knew who the busy-body, a-hole neighbors were and their houses got egged every Halloween (and occasionally at other times). Kid justice was fun! :lol:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duty, honor and sacrifice are too much for some people to understand ... too messy ... just give them platitudes and superficial pleasures ... oh, and to remind them that we have 2 wars going on ... heaven forbid ... they want to enjoy their freedom, but not to be reminded of how messy it is to stay free.

I know, totally! I mean, don't they know how close Afghanistan and Iraq were to invading us? :lol:

But as far as the story goes, if the weather does such a number on this flag that it's nothing but a few unrecognizeable shreds when and if the guy's son returns to take it down, is that really honoring him? Not that his stupid nosey neighbors have a right to stop him from flying it (in my opinion, he should be allowed to fly any flag he wishes), but the question is not about them, it's about whether letting the flag get all gross and shredded is doing anything at all to honor his son. To me, it's nothing more than superstition on the father's part, with him being afraid to take it down for fear of jinxing his son's safe return. It's irrational and doesn't deserve our accolades as much as our sympathy.

Does the father believe in drilling holes in peoples heads to let the evil spirits out too? A nice tribute to his son but

to objectify the flag as some untouchable symbol is silly. Hope his kid comes back in one piece..god knows our govt

wont care

The whole story can be found here: http://news.aol.com/article/tattered-us-fl...a-mans%2F604857

The short version is this: a 71 year old Vietnam veteran put a flag up the day his son left for Iraq and told him he would be the one to take it down when he returned. Since then the flag has been tattered and beaten by the weather and is in pretty sad shape. Neighbors are begging for him to take it down, but he refuses to do so until his son returns. Is he honoring the flag or is he disgracing it?

Personally, I think he his honoring the flag and his son by letting it fly ever watchful until he returns home from defending his country. Its not like he placed it upside down or defaced it in any manner.

Maybe his son is going to come home a little "tattered and beaten".

He should stick to his guns.