Honor or Disgrace?

Oh say does that Star Spangled Banner yet wave...  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Is this vet honoring the flag or disgracing it?

• Honor
    • Disgrace

I'm not sure I understood this little skirmish. Sage noted the flag is simply symbolic. The thing that is fought for and honored is the country. (Similar to the point I was trying to make, earlier, but more explicit.)

So, what's the problem? He's 100% correct.

I still don't understand why The Sen was upset. Because it was an obvious observation? Because Sage is young?

Please, sometimes what seems obvious needs repeating. Many think the flag is what we honor and what needs to be protected. And us old farts can learn from bright young people, on occasion. Dismissing someone's comment because of their age is downright Stuckincincy-esque. Sometimes people reveal their youth (and ignorance) by their comments. I can't remember a time when Sage has done that, though.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes people reveal their youth (and ignorance) by their comments. I can't remember a time when Sage has done that, though.

He has. Mostly in thinking that, because he's a smart kid, it makes up for experience.

He has gotten better, though. Won't stop me from giving him a healthy measure of sh--, of course... :thumbdown:

The men in question didn't die for the flag...they died for their country, and its values. Values like free speech and peaceful protest. I wouldn't personally burn a flag, but we live in a country where you can show dissent without repercussion. THAT is what they died for.

If/when you enter the military, you'll get a new perspective on the equivalence established between "flag" and "country", and why thus respecting the flag is so important to many. I've seen a Marine (out of uniform) drop everything they were carrying (and break an expensive 35mm camera in the process) in order to stand at attention for the flag.

Sure, the flag is "symbolic". Don't underestimate the power or importance of symbolism, though. Most who died "for their country" died as much "for the flag".

I'm not sure I understood this little skirmish. Sage noted the flag is simply symbolic. The thing that is fought for and honored is the country. (Similar to the point I was trying to make, earlier, but more explicit.)

So, what's the problem? He's 100% correct.

I still don't understand why The Sen was upset. Because it was an obvious observation? Because Sage is young?

Please, sometimes what seems obvious needs repeating. Many think the flag is what we honor and what needs to be protected. And us old farts can learn from bright young people, on occasion. Dismissing someone's comment because of their age is downright Stuckincincy-esque. Sometimes people reveal their youth (and ignorance) by their comments. I can't remember a time when Sage has done that, though.

It's just my menstrual cycle - I was unduly harsh on the young lad, and I apologize. :thumbdown:

He has. Mostly in thinking that, because he's a smart kid, it makes up for experience.

He has gotten better, though. Won't stop me from giving him a healthy measure of sh--, of course... :thumbdown:

It's not that he thinks he's bright beyond his years that irritates me; it's that he thinks he's bright beyond my years. :D

I am Arts and Sciences so I guess that's too bad for you.

It is, because now I'll have to up my contributions, in the hope they'll do a better job... :beer:

:thumbdown: you on that one too, buddy.

An English major, no doubt...

I'm joining the military as soon as I graduate, when I'll gladly get my limbs blown off for my country.

While I commend you for that sacrifice, it's not a forgone conclusion. I'd leave out the "gladly" part, as well.

(All ball-busting aside, that is such an honorable decision - for which you have my gratitude and respect. :D )

My "summer vacation" has been spent in Ithaca, me paying my own rent by working 50 hours a week.

That is also unfortunate - you should be swimming in the gorge, sailing on Cayuga, and hitting on AP'ettes. There'll be plenty of time for work later. One of the most enjoyable summers I ever spent was at 'Camp Cornell' - without the rigors of academia or the pressure of prelims.

Senator, I'm fine with you. You're a good poster and a seemingly decent guy. But please, you should get to know somebody before you try to shove them into an overly generalized stereotype...isn't that something you learned with the "wisdom of your years"? Maybe when you were far above Cayuga's waters you fit that stereotype, but not me.

Hey, I'm only 20, I admit I don't know everything. But judging a person (and their opinions) based ONLY on age is as bad as judging them solely on race, sex, or creed.

Let me apologize again, directly to you rather than in a reply to someone else. I went off like a persnickety, cantankerous, obstreperous old man, when a simple, caustic, "Duh?" would have more than sufficed.

You're a good guy - try to remember that no one has a monopoly on perfection, not even you. :huh:

GO BIG RED!!!!

(Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...)

It is, because now I'll have to up my contributions, in the hope they'll do a better job... :D

An English major, no doubt...

While I commend you for that sacrifice, it's not a forgone conclusion. I'd leave out the "gladly" part, as well.

(All ball-busting aside, that is such an honorable decision - for which you have my gratitude and respect. :thumbdown: )

That is also unfortunate - you should be swimming in the gorge, sailing on Cayuga, and hitting on AP'ettes. There'll be plenty of time for work later. One of the most enjoyable summers I ever spent was at 'Camp Cornell' - without the rigors of academia or the pressure of prelims.

Let me apologize again, directly to you rather than in a reply to someone else. I went off like a persnickety, cantankerous, obstreperous old man, when a simple, caustic, "Duh?" would have more than sufficed.

You're a good guy - try to remember that no one has a monopoly on perfection, not even you. :beer:

GO BIG RED!!!!

(Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...)

Yeah, we're good dude, I guess I got my panties all up in a bunch too.

The man's son is back and has retired the flag correctly.

Great news...now the neighbors can go back to obsessing over the ugly beige color on that other house's shutters. It's a disgrace! Gotta kick that family outta there.

The disgrace is the POS neighbors who probably dress up in red, white and blue every July 4th, go watch fireworks and blather about 'freedom', but are more concerned with their street looking just so than they are with the life of the kid down the street who's actually fighting for it. :lol: them.

The disgrace is the POS neighbors who probably dress up in red, white and blue every July 4th, go watch fireworks and blather about 'freedom', but are more concerned with their street looking just so than they are with the life of the kid down the street who's actually fighting for it. :lol: them.

A buddy of mine lived in an upscale Milwaukee suburb for several years. In their development, all houses had to have the same model mailbox outside their home. Mind you, not just conforming to some guidelines for height, color, etc...the exact same model. And, this putridity ugly mailbox was available from only one company. I'm guessing the association members were very big on "freedom", though.

I will never cease to be amazed by the ignorance demonstrated by some who think it's more important to protect the SYMBOL of the VERY RIGHT that symbol represents rather than the right itself.

It's clear to me that this had little to do with "honoring" the flag, but more so a symbolic gesture for his son by keeping his word. A military thing, that I'm sure his neighbors would know very little about.