The truth about Canadian health care

Fingon

pretty sure illegal aliens are not tabulated into the figure. there are also about that same number of under-insured - people that have insurance but it isn't actually adequate for what they need ( I know I fall into the latter category as someone who relies on terrible student health insurance)

50 to 100 million people without adequate healthcare is not a small minority.

the price of a tv is not comparable to the yearly price of health insurance.

I agree though that the number one priority is that we need to lower insurance costs and a way to insure all americans that want coverage. I don't think we're seeing a major overhaul like a Canadian system anytime in the foreseeable future.

I'd be curious to see projections of just how much societal and economic damage is accrued by so many uninsured. How many people don't get treatment cause of cost and how much does that end up disrupting society when their condition gets worse as a result?

Illegal aliens are tabulated into that figure and it is estimated that between them and other non Americans- that out of the 46 million uninsured people in the U.S, 9.7 Million are foreigners.

http://cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=49586

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty sure illegal aliens are not tabulated into the figure. there are also about that same number of under-insured - people that have insurance but it isn't actually adequate for what they need ( I know I fall into the latter category as someone who relies on terrible student health insurance)

50 to 100 million people without adequate healthcare is not a small minority.

the price of a tv is not comparable to the yearly price of health insurance.

I agree though that the number one priority is that we need to lower insurance costs and a way to insure all americans that want coverage. I don't think we're seeing a major overhaul like a Canadian system anytime in the foreseeable future.

I'd be curious to see projections of just how much societal and economic damage is accrued by so many uninsured. How many people don't get treatment cause of cost and how much does that end up disrupting society when their condition gets worse as a result?

Whoa there fella. Are we talking people without health insurance or adequate healthcare? And what exactly is inadequate health care?

A couple points - it is easy for Canada to decide what the right treatments are after we invent them, test them, and certify them for the rest of the world. Seriously, the every day, routine sh-- that is performed in this country was once an expensive experimental treatment. Who is going to develop those new treatments? What break-throughs are we going to have after the great rationing takes place?

Also, Bill Clinton in 1992 droned on and on about the 40 million uninsured in this country and how it was going to explode in just a few years time. Well, 17 years later the number is pretty much the same. What a coinkeydink....

The problem is that you have a significant proportion of the population who treat their bodies like cesspools and expect everyone else to help pay to repair the damage done. Giving free health care is like a license to steal and costs will fly through the roof, easily surpassing the (conservative) $1T estimates.

Anyone here been to a hospital in Canada? I have, many times and have never waited more than 3 hours and some times you get right in. I have a family doctor and if I didn't, there are free clinics all over town that I could go to. If you go to the ER with an earache (and many do) yes you will wait for hours and hours because they see people in order of need. A couple of years ago I needed an MRI and a CT scan....guess what, 3 days later I was in. Huh? Now, I live in a small city with 56,000 people and up to date facilities, but I kinda like it.

Illegal aliens are tabulated into that figure and it is estimated that between them and other non Americans- that out of the 46 million uninsured people in the U.S, 9.7 Million are foreigners.

http://cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=49586

And the administration has every intention of covering the illegals to get those votes.

Entitlements to illegals is killing California, but the government doesn't have the nutsack to take them away, and we tree-hugging, global-warming-freaking, save-the-marsh-mouse Pelosi drones deserve every ounce of what we get until the drones can't take it any more and realize that giving free shhitt to people who don't deserve it isn't always the "neighborly" and right thing to do.

Five pages in on the topic of health care, and you pick the term "neighborly" to think it should go to PPP?

Really? Why is that? What was wrong with what I wrote?

I scratched my head on that one too...

Anyone here been to a hospital in Canada? I have, many times and have never waited more than 3 hours and some times you get right in. I have a family doctor and if I didn't, there are free clinics all over town that I could go to. If you go to the ER with an earache (and many do) yes you will wait for hours and hours because they see people in order of need. A couple of years ago I needed an MRI and a CT scan....guess what, 3 days later I was in. Huh? Now, I live in a small city with 56,000 people and up to date facilities, but I kinda like it.

i was just about to post something like this but came across this post.

i have alot of family on my wife's side that live in canada, and i've NEVER heard any of the 30 or so uncles, aunts, & cousins, ect complain about canadian health services. and some of those aunt's are from the states, and some of the uncles are from italy, so there is a huge reference for how other countries' health care works.

And the administration has every intention of covering the illegals to get those votes.

Entitlements to illegals is killing California, but the government doesn't have the nutsack to take them away, and we tree-hugging, global-warming-freaking, save-the-marsh-mouse Pelosi drones deserve every ounce of what we get until the drones can't take it any more and realize that giving free shhitt to people who don't deserve it isn't always the "neighborly" and right thing to do.

I'm working on a plan. :rolleyes:

A couple points - it is easy for Canada to decide what the right treatments are after we invent them, test them, and certify them for the rest of the world. Seriously, the every day, routine sh-- that is performed in this country was once an expensive experimental treatment. Who is going to develop those new treatments? What break-throughs are we going to have after the great rationing takes place?

I disagree a bit. I am no Canadian apologist but a lot of good medical discoveries have originated in Canada and then the US has taken it and expanded upon it. I am certain the opposite is also true but Canada (as well as many other countries) do not have the heavy oversight of the FDA and are able to perform clinical research on drugs. devices, and procedures that would face significant delays with FDA approval.

Here's a few:

Breakthrough cancer discovery

Edmonton Protocol - islet cell transplant for diabetes

Engineered cell therapy trial for lung disease

I disagree a bit. I am no Canadian apologist but a lot of good medical discoveries have originated in Canada and then the US has taken it and expanded upon it. I am certain the opposite is also true but Canada (as well as many other countries) do not have the heavy oversight of the FDA and are able to perform clinical research on drugs. devices, and procedures that would face significant delays with FDA approval.

Here's a few:

Breakthrough cancer discovery

Edmonton Protocol - islet cell transplant for diabetes

Engineered cell therapy trial for lung disease

well, I can't argue with facts, but is that a pimple on the ass or it significant in the larger scheme (in proportion to population/resources)? I don't know the answer to that.

Nobody seems to want to hear it LA. Not just here mind you.....anywhere. Free medical care is being provided to criminals and their anchor babies, plain and simple, and our politicians are handing us the bill. Meanwhile, I got poison ivy 2 weeks ago and the skin cream I got came with a 60 dollar co-payment.

You can talk about Obama as you will, but McCain authored the amnesty bill. Also, I don't have a link, but I read that more than half of McCain voters actually believed that he was against amnesty for illegal aliens. So, the uninformed and the idiots should be added to the sentence bolded above.

Nobody seems to want to hear it LA. Not just here mind you.....anywhere. Free medical care is being provided to criminals and their anchor babies, plain and simple, and our politicians are handing us the bill. Meanwhile, I got poison ivy 2 weeks ago and the skin cream I got came with a 60 dollar co-payment.

You can talk about Obama as you will, but McCain authored the amnesty bill. Also, I don't have a link, but I read that more than half of McCain voters actually believed that he was against amnesty for illegal aliens. So, the uninformed and the idiots should be added to the sentence bolded above.

The funniest thing about this incredible urge to pass nationalized health care: we already GIVE free health care to anyone who shows up at a public hospital. AND we're already paying for it. The fastest way to drop health care costs is to stop giving it free to illegals. It's just that simple, but politicians on both sides of the aisle are simply embarrassing in their vote pandering, and will keep doing whatever they can to help the clueless so they can keep their vote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/11/opinion/...istof.html?_r=1

"the bottom line is that America’s health care system spends nearly twice as much per person as Canada’s. Yet our infant mortality rate is 40 percent higher than Canada’s, and American mothers are 57 percent more likely to die in childbirth than Canadian ones."

http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/sections/com...icle_443950.php