Last post wins!

/dev/null

Oh yeah, I forgot about this thread. Been busy! At least I am still winning.

http://imgur.com/1TW...m/1TWCp newest calf. 110 lbs bull calf named Urbik.

Anyone want to guess why he has the black tattoo ink on the head?

Most importantly it serves as an indicator that the calf has been accounted for/tagged. They often tuck their ears back because they are cold. From a distance a big mark on the head sticks out.

Another big point is it lets me know how the calf is doing in life, how much attention he is getting, and how active he is. The mother will generally lick the calf a lot while young to clean it and the less ink the better. The ink will also rub off on the belly of the mother which lets me know it has been milking. The more ink on the belly the more milk it gets. Calves must drink a lot of milk when newly born to pick up antibodies to help their immune system. The calf will also rub his head on things and this lets me know that he is moving.

I did not learn this from anyone, it probably is not common practice or done by anyone. I have never heard of anyone doing this. I tattoo their ears and always end up covered in ink. I started just rubbing it on their heads to wipe it off and then realized it has a rather practical purpose and began doing it on all calves.

PS: I thought about taking my Bridge thread and maybe making it in to a farmings going on's'ing thread. Seems a lot of various people are always curious about what I am up to...maybe I'd update it every so often, probably every month or two just to share some neat farming info...I mean food is important to most people. Thoughts?

Edited by jboyst62

Most importantly it serves as an indicator that the calf has been accounted for/tagged. They often tuck their ears back because they are cold. From a distance a big mark on the head sticks out.

Another big point is it lets me know how the calf is doing in life, how much attention he is getting, and how active he is. The mother will generally lick the calf a lot while young to clean it and the less ink the better. The ink will also rub off on the belly of the mother which lets me know it has been milking. The more ink on the belly the more milk it gets. Calves must drink a lot of milk when newly born to pick up antibodies to help their immune system. The calf will also rub his head on things and this lets me know that he is moving.

I did not learn this from anyone, it probably is not common practice or done by anyone. I have never heard of anyone doing this. I tattoo their ears and always end up covered in ink. I started just rubbing it on their heads to wipe it off and then realized it has a rather practical purpose and began doing it on all calves.

PS: I thought about taking my Bridge thread and maybe making it in to a farmings going on's'ing thread. Seems a lot of various people are always curious about what I am up to...maybe I'd update it every so often, probably every month or two just to share some neat farming info...I mean food is important to most people. Thoughts?

Sounds good to me! Go for it!

Whoa! I rarely ever check this thread, but Im glad I just did. Cool post! Definitely keep us up to date in your farm thread!

Random JH thought of the day...

Last night I gave my 3 year old son some of those baby corns with his dinner. You know...the ones you see in Chinese food? I thought he would think they were really neat since he LOVES corn on the cob. Well, come to find out, he was less than impressed. In fact, he refused to even try one! What's wrong with kids today? Part of me wants to blame it on those damned Leapfrog games.

Random JH thought of the day...

Last night I gave my 3 year old son some of those baby corns with his dinner. You know...the ones you see in Chinese food? I thought he would think they were really neat since he LOVES corn on the cob. Well, come to find out, he was less than impressed. In fact, he refused to even try one! What's wrong with kids today? Part of me wants to blame it on those damned Leapfrog games.

My wife tells me that corn is an alien species brought to earth by a different alien species who gave it to the Mayans. Apparently this has something to do with the upcoming end of the world.

My wife tells me that corn is an alien species brought to earth by a different alien species who gave it to the Mayans. Apparently this has something to do with the upcoming end of the world.

So that must be why just about every food now has some form of corn in it. It's a way for the aliens to control us!

Hey that kind of makes sense. Corn is an alien life form so maybe that's why my body won't completely digest it, explaining why whenever I drop a deuce after eating a lot of corn there are kernels floating in the bowl

Hey that kind of makes sense. Corn is an alien life form so maybe that's why my body won't completely digest it, explaining why whenever I drop a deuce after eating a lot of corn there are kernels floating in the bowl

It is scary to think how corn controls the world. As an adjunct to this conversation I think it is funny when talks of farming come up and people talk about things in the farming industry as if I know nothing. On PPP someone is telling me that factory farms are a big problem...I mean, I have never seen a factory farm in my life so I will have to take his word for it. Like I said in the thread. Guess he knows more about it then I do...

Also, it's funny when I mention online tough guys. I say its funny they say stuff behind the screen in their own room... almost always someone comes up and says how I am just anonymous and something like yeah and is Jboyst my real name... Yeah. It is.

Also, it's funny when I mention online tough guys. I say its funny they say stuff behind the screen in their own room... almost always someone comes up and says how I am just anonymous and something like yeah and is Jboyst my real name... Yeah. It is.

And my name is really Jack. And Beerball is really shaped like a beerball. But I think gringo is actually Canadian.

On PPP someone is telling me...

I saw that. Those guys are nuts! It's all about looking for a fight. They'll twist whatever you say into something they can attack, even if you try to agree with them on something. It's the exact opposite of dialectic. The goal is to increase divisiveness & run screaming from anything resembling a consensus.

And my name is really Jack. And Beerball is really shaped like a beerball. But I think gringo is actually Canadian.

I have had the pleasure of meeting Beerball. He is quite a great fella. He is every bit as cordial as you would expect him to be, and I can no doubt imagine how fondly people in his life think of him, just a great guy.

None the less, there are many people on here who's real names are hidden in there user name. However, plenty of people hide behind their screen names, like SteveStojan, Jay Rosen, John Wawrow.

I saw that. Those guys are nuts! It's all about looking for a fight. They'll twist whatever you say into something they can attack, even if you try to agree with them on something. It's the exact opposite of dialectic. The goal is to increase divisiveness & run screaming from anything resembling a consensus.

I also was told I was a big Obama supporter. Hmm. I did not know that. I like going to PPP, usually I just troll them - one time I brought up a topic in a thread about something to do with farming. I think it was a death tax thread, anyway, someone jumped on me for not having a good argument, they said I should bring something to the table...of course I did not really make an argument at all, just felt like putting in a nonsense statement about a nonsense topic. Anyway, my reply was about as loony as you can get arguing as a farmer I bring everything to the table. Now that was fun.