I am sick of hearing about how our coaching sucks....

As much as I hate that passive style, it probably helped the injury-riddled 2007 team stay in games, and even win 7. But it seems as though every difficulty sends Dick into "safe mode". That reflects on the team's play, IMO. I'm hoping he got the message from Ralph, before being retained, but I can't say I am optimistic. But I am hopeful, as coached have made changes to the way they manage the game, and the team, in the past. It isn't impossible.

and after 9 years of failure- what makes you think Dick will change his entire personality and coaching style to become more aggressive??

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and after 9 years of failure- what makes you think Dick will change his entire personality and coaching style to become more aggressive??

If you go out and get aggressive players and change your offense to a no-huddle style, your making war not tea.

That's the key point: where's his motivation to change? Virtually every post-game press conference Jauron holds, he reaffirms his commitment to his "Keep the game close so you're in a position to win in the final two minutes" philosophy. It's not just that he's not aggressive; he believes that not being aggressive is the way to win games.

If you go out and get aggressive players and change your offense to a no-huddle style, your making war not tea.

He could be making hot tea instead of cold tea.

Jauron's first 2 years in Chicago, the Bears ran some "razzle dazzle" Mularkey style type of offense. Overall, the offense still blew, ranking in the mid to high 20's for points scored.

Anyone can rationalize anything. But, the trooth is the trooth. And, at the end of the day Dick Jauron is a loser... flat out, period, end of story. And, that's the trooth.

It is true that this is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it.

I am not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with you.

Trooth is not always truth.

I don't think he will, that's why I am worried. I said it is possible, not probable. I trust you understand the difference.

This will probably the most talented team overall (Chicago had a much better D in his 13-win season) that DJ has ever coached. He may also be facing a "playoff or else", situation from Ralph (I said "may be", I don't know that he is, or isn't). Turk has his rookie OC season under his belt, and he too will likely be gone if Jauron is fired. The forces may conspire and stimulate DJ to rethink things. And let's not forget DJ has had periods of the season where he let the players hang it out, a bit. The offense for the last six games, or so, in 2006, was aggressive, for example.

And, just in case you need a real world example of a coach who changed the way he operated for many years, when it was clear his normal MO was going to get him fired, look at Tom Coughlin. Barely escaped being fired from the Giants, and made a conscious decision to change the way he interacted with the players. That's a very difficult change for anyone. It is something that has to be carried out day after day, by Coughlin, and probably goes against everything he once believed. A change for Jauron may also be difficult, but he can let his coordinators and coaches execute the day-to-day details of the new plan.

Now, with that said, I still think DJ is the weak link, here. But, there is room for hope. My fan side says "it could happen", my experiential/practical side says "I'll believe it when I see it" and my logical side says "It is possible, but not all that likely".

You're wrong. I've been here a long time and this board has never been this nasty. Personal attacks were very rare here and now, not only do they come in every thread, they come on the first page. It used to be that vicious, passionate and fervent attacks on opinions was the norm (as it should be). Now it has become like kindergarden here with the constant name calling by the same members day after day. It's embarrassing what this once proud board has become.

Amen. Maybe it's time to take an oath that we will treat each other with respect. Jab all you want about an opinion, but let's cut out the personal crap. By this post I am making a commitment to do so in the future. Regulars, will you sign on or not?

Why? Because the very thing we want... a variety of ideas and opinions... is declining because of the back stabbing. It's not about being thick skinned or not. It's about people with intelligent comments to make saying it's not worth it, because you get slammed no matter what you say. Then they leave. We are losing valuable input and that will eventually kill this board.

I don't think he will, that's why I am worried. I said it is possible, not probable. I trust you understand the difference.

This will probably the most talented team overall (Chicago had a much better D in his 13-win season) that DJ has ever coached. He may also be facing a "playoff or else", situation from Ralph (I said "may be", I don't know that he is, or isn't). Turk has his rookie OC season under his belt, and he too will likely be gone if Jauron is fired. The forces may conspire and stimulate DJ to rethink things. And let's not forget DJ has had periods of the season where he let the players hang it out, a bit. The offense for the last six games, or so, in 2006, was aggressive, for example.

And, just in case you need a real world example of a coach who changed the way he operated for many years, when it was clear his normal MO was going to get him fired, look at Tom Coughlin. Barely escaped being fired from the Giants, and made a conscious decision to change the way he interacted with the players. That's a very difficult change for anyone. It is something that has to be carried out day after day, by Coughlin, and probably goes against everything he once believed. A change for Jauron may also be difficult, but he can let his coordinators and coaches execute the day-to-day details of the new plan.

Now, with that said, I still think DJ is the weak link, here. But, there is room for hope. My fan side says "it could happen", my experiential/practical side says "I'll believe it when I see it" and my logical side says "It is possible, but not all that likely".

Brilliant post. :flirt:

I have my occasional moments.

We have talent, that's been the missing part of the past 9 years. Not that we didn't have talent along the way, it just wasn't this deep nor spread out amongst the different positions. We will have the #1 or 2 special teams squad in the NFL, should break the top 10 in defense and the offense has enough firepower to outshoot just about everybody. We have the top WR combo in the NFL (maybe 2nd behind AZ), 3 solid RB's and some new blood to flow on the line. I personally think that inexperience at some key positions will be our biggest problem initially but can be worked through.

All in all, having the talent gives the coaches a chance to put a better result up. DJ is not stupid / nor uneducated, he has just lacking a good enough supporting cast to succeed until now.

GO BILLS!!!!!

the coaching staff sucks, the coaching staff sucks, the coaching staff sucks, the coaching staff sucks,the coaching staff sucks, the coaching staff sucks, the coaching staff sucks, the coaching staff sucks, the coaching staff sucks.oh!did i mention that the coaching staff sucks,sorry i know that the coaching staff sucks :flirt::lol::lol:

All in all, having the talent gives the coaches a chance to put a better result up. DJ is not stupid / nor uneducated, he has just lacking a good enough supporting cast to succeed until now.

Suggesting that DJ hasn't had good enough talent, or support staff, to not suck is really reaching. The Bills had plenty of talent, last season, and the coaches wasted that talent. It sounds like you are saying DJ can only succeed if the talent is outstanding.

Newsflash: The Bills still don't have overwhelming talent, IMO. DJ needs far more to change than the few additions to the roster, to succeed. He needs to change his philosophy. But he isn't stupid (although a few of his calls last year put that into question), but he is timid, as a coach.

the coaching staff sucks, the coaching staff sucks, the coaching staff sucks, the coaching staff sucks,the coaching staff sucks, the coaching staff sucks, the coaching staff sucks, the coaching staff sucks, the coaching staff sucks.oh!did i mention that the coaching staff sucks,sorry i know that the coaching staff sucks :flirt::lol::lol:

Quite an analysis.

Suggesting that DJ hasn't had good enough talent, or support staff, to not suck is really reaching. The Bills had plenty of talent, last season, and the coaches wasted that talent. It sounds like you are saying DJ can only succeed if the talent is outstanding.

Newsflash: The Bills still don't have overwhelming talent, IMO. DJ needs far more to change than the few additions to the roster, to succeed. He needs to change his philosophy. But he isn't stupid (although a few of his calls last year put that into question), but he is timid, as a coach.

We had a chance to win more than we lost last year, I attribute that to the coaches calling the games. We have been sorely lacking at WR, henceforth why the T.O. pick up was just so huge. We went from a #1 to a #3 WR to having 1A / 1B, just a huge difference. We also picked up a solid performer in Rhodes who can assure a fresh pair of legs on the field when ML / FJ are tired.

It's hard to press when you have your only WR covered by several people on every play. Now it's going to be Trent recognizing coverages and seeing who is open, not if someone is open. The difference will show almost instantly this season, our 2 boys complimenting each other.

We had a chance to win more than we lost last year, I attribute that to the coaches calling the games. We have been sorely lacking at WR, henceforth why the T.O. pick up was just so huge. We went from a #1 to a #3 WR to having 1A / 1B, just a huge difference. We also picked up a solid performer in Rhodes who can assure a fresh pair of legs on the field when ML / FJ are tired.

It's hard to press when you have your only WR covered by several people on every play. Now it's going to be Trent recognizing coverages and seeing who is open, not if someone is open. The difference will show almost instantly this season, our 2 boys complimenting each other.

If our coaching staff had an ounce of creativity and wisdom, they would have designed plays to force Evans into single coverage..

put him in motion, overload a zone, etc

happens to every team in the league

why is it just the Bills who can't get their best players the ball on a consistent basis??

If our coaching staff had an ounce of creativity and wisdom, they would have designed plays to force Evans into single coverage..

put him in motion, overload a zone, etc

happens to every team in the league

why is it just the Bills who can't get their best players the ball on a consistent basis??

Because the coaches.... ummmm... suck?

Guest dog14787
So, to sum up this thread, Jauron sucks, Scooby is a glutton for punishment, Dean likes to argue, and Dog is too sensitive. Did I forget to say that Jauron sucks?

That sums it up well Magox and no need for Lori to read a word of it. :flirt:

This place really went down hill. I haven't posted here in awhile

It's like you guys are bunch of highschool girls. Is this a show on MTV? My super-sweet Bills messageboard?

Jauron is a terrible coach though

His inept clock management, zero gameplanning, and the amount of slack he cuts players is disturbing. The only reason he is here is because Ralph picked him up at the Family Dollar store for coaches. I don't know what Ralph was thinking when he hired Marv to be GM (set us back at least 3 seasons) and what Marv was thinking when he signed Jauron. So they could be Ivy league bum-buddies maybe?

I'm not expecting much out of this season due to our coaching situation. I would have fired the entire staff and promoted April to interim coach after that Dallas Cowboys Monday night debacle. How do you let them throw that pass on the sideline to get in FG range when you know they don't have any timeouts? It's embarassing frankly. It's not like that was a one time thing either. The Jets game and the Pats game come to mind immediately

This place really went down hill. I haven't posted here in awhile

It's like you guys are bunch of highschool girls. Is this a show on MTV? My super-sweet Bills messageboard?

Jauron is a terrible coach though

His inept clock management, zero gameplanning, and the amount of slack he cuts players is disturbing. The only reason he is here is because Ralph picked him up at the Family Dollar store for coaches. I don't know what Ralph was thinking when he hired Marv to be GM (set us back at least 3 seasons) and what Marv was thinking when he signed Jauron. So they could be Ivy league bum-buddies maybe?

I'm not expecting much out of this season due to our coaching situation. I would have fired the entire staff and promoted April to interim coach after that Dallas Cowboys Monday night debacle. How do you let them throw that pass on the sideline to get in FG range when you know they don't have any timeouts? It's embarassing frankly. It's not like that was a one time thing either. The Jets game and the Pats game come to mind immediately

Does Wegmans still give $1 a case deposit refunds on genny cream ale?

Amen. Maybe it's time to take an oath that we will treat each other with respect. Jab all you want about an opinion, but let's cut out the personal crap. By this post I am making a commitment to do so in the future. Regulars, will you sign on or not?

Why? Because the very thing we want... a variety of ideas and opinions... is declining because of the back stabbing. It's not about being thick skinned or not. It's about people with intelligent comments to make saying it's not worth it, because you get slammed no matter what you say. Then they leave. We are losing valuable input and that will eventually kill this board.

Agreed. God forbid anyone have an opinion.

PS: The coaches don't suck. They blow.

If you look at the current front page, 2 of the 4 threads are from articles about events that happened. The other 2 were started July 2 / July 3rd. Articles are someone else's opinion and I am really sick of hearing about how our coaches suck. Our players suck for not performing and to say that our coaches always put them in a position to fail is BS. Anyone that has watched all the games can see the players we field have breakdowns on occasion and make mistakes, yet it's the coaches fault.

The Dolphins went from a 1 win team in 2007 to the playoffs last season after changing their team around. We have been borderline .500 for 3 years now & with a few bounces the right way, we really would be .500 or better. JP's Jets game is a prime example of how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory but that's the coaches fault as well I guess.

The FO / coaches made a point of it to cut their dead weight this season and get people who wanted to play hard all the time on the field. Character is no longer being mentioned and neither is the playoffs, just work hard and get results. I am as sick of talking about any success we might have as the rest of us but after watching stupid players hand things away, I like seeing wholesale changes. Peters is a prime example of a whiny child that would not play hard all the time, he's gone. It takes alot of courage to send away a pro-bowler but it takes more to show the rest of the team that if you don't play hard, you're replaced. That builds character and sets a tone that you are not bigger than the team you play on, that's huge to me.

GO BILLS!!

The Dolphins changed their coaching staff around more than they did their roster. 85% of the roster was the same, 100% of the coaching staff was changed, and that is the biggest reason for their turn around (not all but most of it). That is what the Bills need too.

There you go SKOOB, a new topic. DO THE BILLS COACHES SUCK OR BLOW? Run with it! :flirt:

Since it's a all male coaching staff, I am going to have to defer this right back to the masses. I really think that our player quality has sucked for the last 9 years and retreads / players out of their prime are good for nothing. T.O. is borderline out of his prime but he has also performed as the #1 producing WR over the last 3 seasons, so until a drop-off it remains to be seen.

Plan on DJ getting COTY accolades by late november, us looking like a strong / well coached team.

Guest dog14787
OK, simple question: what has prevented us from looking like a well coached team the past three seasons?

7-9

It takes talent to make all the X' and O's of football to work in your favor. Draw it up all you want, but you still have to execute and inferior talent gets you nowhere in this league.

Did our team play hard for every minute of every game? Yes, they did

Did they ever give up or even show signs of quiting? no they did not

Did we play sloppy, penalty filled football? No we did not

Does our team stand together as one and win lose or draw do they go down swinging. Yes

So lets give some credit where credit is due.

7-9

It takes talent to make all the X' and O's of football to work in your favor. Draw it up all you want, inferior talent gets you nowhere in this league

Below .500 is where it got us. Both JP's (Peters / Losman) had us chasing our tails going no where and who has been our # 2 WR?? We had injuries on defense and idiots at the last minute opting for surgeries, just horrible timing.

A winning season is a combination of a talented team, playing teams at opportune times during favorable weather for what your players can handle. Jimbo was a prime example of a I don't care what the conditions are QB, Trent's strong enough to come around to that mindset with the right supporting cast (which I think he has).

Below .500 is where it got us. Both JP's (Peters / Losman) had us chasing our tails going no where and who has been our # 2 WR?? We had injuries on defense and idiots at the last minute opting for surgeries, just horrible timing.

A winning season is a combination of a talented team, playing teams at opportune times during favorable weather for what your players can handle. Jimbo was a prime example of a I don't care what the conditions are QB, Trent's strong enough to come around to that mindset with the right supporting cast (which I think he has).

Weather is more important than coaching? :rolleyes:

How much more opportune than the 2nd easiest schedule do you want?

Favorable weather for what your players can handle? WTF? Are you serious?

well, the .429 record is actually very misleading, because it takes into account a 13-3 year. That year was an anomaly. So if you remove that year, you get a more representative .38-something

well, the .429 record is actually very misleading, because it takes into account a 13-3 year. That year was an anomaly. So if you remove that year, you get a more representative .38-something

Since you are new to the board, I'll just point out this factoid has been discussed before, and it means nothing.

What you need to figure out is how that stat compares to BB before and after Brady took over the starting QB spot for Pats*.

Guest dog14787
How much more opportune than the 2nd easiest schedule do you want?

Favorable weather for what your players can handle? WTF? Are you serious?

When teams are evolving as fast as they are an easy schedule means squat in my opinion, this just in folks, Buffalo plays in a tough, competitive division and to borrow a phrase from DJ, its hard to win in this League.

There are allot of different variables that go into a winning season including weather and luck, I think is the point SKOOBY is trying to make, and yes, if you take players not use to snow and wind and you throw them into a game with 30+ winds and snow, chances are they may struggle.

Maybe someone would like to explain to me why then if they think its necessary to delete your posts from a thread, they don't just say, hey Dean, mellow out with this crap so I don't have to come in behind you and clean up your BS.

SKOOBY and a few others here on this board have been taking this abuse from Dean long enough, I'm not perfect, nobody's perfect, but to go around constantly insulting folks is wrong. How intimidating is that on new posters? I'll bet half the folks around here are afraid to even start a topic for fear of being embarrassed because of folks like Dean.

When a member can't post or start a thread without this moron constantly cutting down his or her's intelligence then it needs to stop.

I'm not thin skinned and I realize I'm going to get a certain amount of ridicule, but to have someone constantly insult my posts and my fellow posters post and threads just out of meanness is bad for the board and should be stopped. :rolleyes:

Note: Just In case you guys are wondering what really got under my skin I'll explain. How would you like to introduce yourself to someone for the very first time and this person is a prominent figure ( Tim Graham ) and on my very first question to Graham before Tim even had a chance to answer my question, this moron basically in so many words says, hey Tim, this guys an idiot.

Keep in mind this is a question and answer thread were the normal everyday poster gets a chance to talk a bit with someone with vast knowledge and experience in the sports world. Its not ask Dean a question thread.

Now wouldn't that piss you off?

I'll be glad to answer this. The original question to Tim was posted shortly after midnight on June 30, on Page 23 of that thread. The conversation continued that evening and into the next morning; the "zero proof" quote he took issue with was posted at 10:17 a.m. on July 1.

The posts I removed -- merely because I didn't want that thread to turn into a pissing match, like this one has become -- were timestamped at 11:21 a.m., 12:25 p.m., and 12:33 p.m. on July 1, following this reply by Tim:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?s=&am...t&p=1467005.

If they hadn't been in the pinned thread, I doubt I would have taken any action.

TBD strives to attract a high quality readership. Intelligent discussion goes hand in hand with minimal moderation. Moderators are on duty to handle occasional conflicts and occasional lapses in judgment. If, over the course of time, a poster's online personality/behavior develops in a way that they become a source of continual conflict then TBD reserves the right to restrict the posting privilege of that person. It is up to individuals to conduct themselves in a manner that is socially acceptable to the community at large.

I'm beginning to rethink that line, but I still believe that I'd rather err on the side of removing too little content, rather than too much. The "Ask Tim" thread is an exception the moderating staff discussed before I started the first one -- there could be even more pruning done there, so he doesn't have to slog through off-topic stuff (including some from me, I'll admit).

That said, if anyone here thinks someone else is crossing the line, there's a "report to moderator" button on every post. And if more people would heed this part of the TOS, even that might not be necessary:

Courtesy is contagious - Just become someone doesn't share your opinion - doesn't make them an idiot. It is ok to cheer for other players or to wear the jersey number of your choice.