Shawn Nelson Not Likely To Start At TE

H2o

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...09-1b7d5037a7fb

“Basically my role is to come in and help this team in the passing game,” said Nelson. “That’s why I’m working with the receivers while the other tight ends are working on their pass protection and their different formations. We decided I would work with receivers and work on stems and plants and stuff like that and learn a couple of routes.”

I understand them doing this to help his route running, but it won't lighten up the coverage on the outside if he's not coming off the line of scrimmage with a LB or a S covering him. I think we are pretty stacked at WR right now.

I understand them doing this to help his route running, but it won't lighten up the coverage on the outside if he's not coming off the line of scrimmage with a LB or a S covering him. I think we are pretty stacked at WR right now.

He's not moving to WR, he's practicing with them.

The Bills know his greatest asset to our offense this year is his passing game ability. They are just trying to maximize that right now. He's still going to create mismatches lined up in the slot.

Couple that with the fact that he wasn't called on to block much in the Southern Miss spread scheme and you can see why he's not going to be the starter this year. Its going to take him some time to learn and understand the blocking scheme.

Couple that with the fact that he wasn't called on to block much in the Southern Miss spread scheme and you can see why he's not going to be the starter this year. Its going to take him some time to learn and understand the blocking scheme.

Although, I do say that he has some good blocking potential. There's that video floating around of him pretty much driving back and pancaking Rey Maualuga. Good stuff.

He's not moving to WR, he's practicing with them.

The Bills know his greatest asset to our offense this year is his passing game ability. They are just trying to maximize that right now. He's still going to create mismatches lined up in the slot.

A TE in the end zone doesn't really need to do much blocking on passing plays. At 6'5" endzone work is all they really need from him. Let the other TE's do the blocking and receiving in the open field.

A TE in the end zone doesn't really need to do much blocking on passing plays. At 6'5" endzone work is all they really need from him. Let the other TE's do the blocking and receiving in the open field.

Ding ding ding ding ding, we have a winner. That is what we're going to see a lot from Nelson this year. As the season progresses and hopefully his blocking ability, we'll see him on the field more and more and in different formations hopefully making defenses account for his playmaking ability on every play.

Ding ding ding ding ding, we have a winner. That is what we're going to see a lot from Nelson this year. As the season progresses and hopefully his blocking ability, we'll see him on the field more and more and in different formations hopefully making defenses account for his playmaking ability on every play.

Owens 6'3", Hardy 6'5", Nelson 6'5", FJ in the RB position and Evans quicker than a jackrabbit with a jetpack! Have fun opposing D's! :thumbsup:

Oh but he CAN lighten up coverage even if he doesn't come off the line off the foot of an OT. He can STILL create the mismatches we want by lining up wide. Most likely, it'll be in tandem with 3 other WRs. Who do you cover with, LB of S? Now, he's a long ways off and I'm not saying he's going to do that. But he can definately create the mismatches even lined up in the slot. What will be more fun is to line him up tight and THEN split him out. Shades of McKeller.

GO BILLS!!!

On top of the flood of posts approving of this strategy with Nelson, I agree. I think the coaching staff is wise to emphasize his skills in this way.

Two things which haven't been mentioned. Firstly as a spread receiver (I'm guessing in the slot) he'll be a huge blocking mismatch in our favor. Instead of battling defensive ends, he'll mostly be blocking safeties and linebackers. Secondly this puts added pressure on our other unproven receivers to step up their games. Competition on a football team is a very good thing.

Amen - if he is nothing more than a true red zone threat then the Bills have stepped forward with regards to the position. A starting role is not a critical issue right now - adding a guy who can get pen and fight for balls in the end zone is.

Did anyone here actually think he would start game 1? I didn't. He has alot to learn especially in the blocking arena. The coaches said that they can teach someone to block if they are willing to put their head down. They have to be a willing blocker. If he isn't committed to doing this he will never be a good blocker. Plus he is alittle light for the NFL but they were supposed to be working on that.

I like Nelson he seems like a smart driven young man. I think and hope that with enough effort he can become a every down player. I think the Bills are hoping this as well. It may take a year or two to figure out if that is in his future. Right now the best option is to take his strengths as a player right now to get him on the field which is probably why he is working with the WR's.

I know he is just a rookie but going 3 or 4 WR's and nelson is a mismatch for for most teams in the NFL. Nelson should be able to out run LB's and Safety's assuming he can get seperation.

I would have him split time with Derrick Fine. Fine is a solid blocker who isn't a terrible receiver. If you have him and Nelson who has the tools to become a great receiving tightend why not have those two take a shot at the position? If you want Nelson to get better at rout running than give him a few plays at wideout each game as well as some time at Tight End.

I am worried they are going to forget that in addition to rout running he has to work on blocking. If you put him as a wideout that could take some valuable blocking reps away from him. I understand the thought process of flanking him our 6 to 8 times a game just to give him the ability to work on his routs but in addition to that you need to get him in as a Tight End for about 15 to 20 plays a game at least with at least half of those being running plays.

If he can't at least take a step towards becoming a respectable blocking tightend by the end of this season than the coaching staff failed. Odds are with this coaching staff they will not properly develop Nelson. A previous poster said that Nelson as a 4th wide out would be a mismatch but its not something you would want to overexpose. Like I said 6 to 8 times a game would be ideal at most 10 to 12 times much more than that would tip our hand too much.

on third down I want him running routes not pass blocking. notice they specifically said he works with the WRs during pass blocking. He is prob still workign with the TEs during run blocking. As long as he is not a key to the D that we are passing cause he is in, and running cause he is out we are fine. This is a good thing to hear. Why have a pass catching TE block when he could be racking up 1st down receptions.

[i understand them doing this to help his route running, but it won't lighten up the coverage on the outside if he's not coming off the line of scrimmage with a LB or a S covering him. I think we are pretty stacked at WR right now.

Trying to learn blocking schemes in a no-contact OTA environment is not the best use of his time. Learn the pass routes with the WRs and wait til camp to worry about blocking.

Sounds like an excellent player to have on the field in a hurry up offense!