You gotta love the flutie magic

Quick question. Who is here saying that Flutie was not a good QB and was not an RJ backer?

I didn't like him and I was not a huge RJ backer. I just didn't like the way he played to position. With him when he went back to pass it always looked like he was thinking run first, pass second. He'd run around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Even if he had taken them to the SB and won it I still would not have liked his style.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sales of those tickets and suites WERE a direct result of Flutie's play at that time! :lol: Please tell me you're not that obtuse to realize this?

What part of "team" don't you get?

Suites and tickets were sold because the "team" won. Flutie just happened to be the QB.

Why is it so hard to grasp that if the "team" had won without Flutie, the Bills still would have sold the suites, etc ...?

It is the most basic concept of football capitalism: win games, sell tickets.

Guest dog14787
Really? I paid the increase and renewed my seasons that year and I can tell you I didn't do it because of that piece of sh--. I renewed my tickets because, unlike you, I from here and I love my team. There is a tradition in my family of going to Bills games that dates back to when my father took me when I was a kid. When the lease was up for renewal I anted up so I would be able to continue that tradition and be able to take my kids to games as well. I don't know whether to call you naive or just plain stupid to think you can speak for all the Bills fans who paid to keep our beloved team here when our lease was up. I can't speak for all of them either, but I can tell you I did it to keep the team in Buffalo. God bless the Buffalo Bills...and f^ck Doug Flutie in his worthless a$$.

Doug Flutie may have been small in size, but he played like the biggest man on the football field and in my opinion it inspired everyone around him to play just as big. Why someone would be so down on one of our past players, especially a player that brought so much excitement to the game of football is beyond me, to each his own I suppose.

What part of "team" don't you get?

Suites and tickets were sold because the "team" won. Flutie just happened to be the QB.

Why is it so hard to grasp that if the "team" had won without Flutie, the Bills still would have sold the suites, etc ...?

It is the most basic concept of football capitalism: win games, sell tickets.

A. The "team" was NOT winning when Flutie was NOT the quarterback. Note: A 3 point lead in the 1st quarter before RJ gets his mojo hurt doesn't count or sustain any leverage.

B. The "team" DID win and win often when Flutie was IN at quarterback. Note: 23-11 Record of Flutie vs 6-10 RJ record.

C. No one's saying Flutie ALONE did it, but he also wasn't some Trent Dilfer who just stood around and managed everything, Flutie made things happen when things weren't happening. He was a good improviser. Note: Immediate reaction to bootleg against Jacksonville.

D. Granted Buffalo had a great defense, it alone didn't score points. Flutie and the offense had to do some of that believe it or not. Note: 23-11 record of Flutie at the helm.

E. Neil Armstrong was the the first to walk on the moon, NASA just sent him there. But you stagnant RJ supporters would argue that NASA walked on the moon, not Neil Armstrong. Technically, for you specific imperative dorks, Armstrong walked on the moon for NASA. Just like Flutie quarterbacked the "team" that made the playoffs. In which RJ failed countless times to do.

F. Just acknowledge it was an exciting time and Flutie was much more fun to watch than RJ. Because it's true just like the holocaust.

Quarterback = the most important position on any football team.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

I've never been impressed with trolls running around on a football field. Flutie never made it big in the NFL because he wasn't good enough. The guy has a cult following that I'll never understand.

Flutie was a guy who was loved by the media because he was a short white guy (aka scrappy). He was a guy who played QB in a different way which while different was not better but the media loved it. I never get the love obsession either everyone hates on RJ but if it wasn't for the music city miracle he would have won a playoff game. While I know that you stick with the girl you took to the dance its was really the defense that made the Bills anything.

But yeah Flutie was a scrappy underdog who always gave it one hundred and ten percent, he had the heart of a lion and never backed down even when he was up against impossible odds. Also the whole Notre Dame thing didn't hurt.

Maybe you are thinking of a different game? Rob Johnsons first start as a Bill, came against the Ryan Leaf led Chargers...and the Bills lost...16-14...Flutie couldn't get the job done! :lol: That was sarcasm....

Sorry Buftex, I thought you were referring to the Colts game where Flutie replaced RJ.. I guess it happened so often I got my games mixed up :o

A. The "team" was NOT winning when Flutie was NOT the quarterback. Note: A 3 point lead in the 1st quarter before RJ gets his mojo hurt doesn't count or sustain any leverage.

B. The "team" DID win and win often when Flutie was IN at quarterback. Note: 23-11 Record of Flutie vs 6-10 RJ record.

C. No one's saying Flutie ALONE did it, but he also wasn't some Trent Dilfer who just stood around and managed everything, Flutie made things happen when things weren't happening. He was a good improviser. Note: Immediate reaction to bootleg against Jacksonville.

D. Granted Buffalo had a great defense, it alone didn't score points. Flutie and the offense had to do some of that believe it or not. Note: 23-11 record of Flutie at the helm.

E. Neil Armstrong was the the first to walk on the moon, NASA just sent him there. But you stagnant RJ supporters would argue that NASA walked on the moon, not Neil Armstrong. Technically, for you specific imperative dorks, Armstrong walked on the moon for NASA. Just like Flutie quarterbacked the "team" that made the playoffs. In which RJ failed countless times to do.

F. Just acknowledge it was an exciting time and Flutie was much more fun to watch than RJ. Because it's true just like the holocaust.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

So now Doug Flutie is better than Trent Dilfer huh? The same Trent Dilfer who went 7-1 as a starter for the Ravens, led them to 3 straight playoff wins and a Superbowl championship? That Trent Dilfer? And you say I'm biased.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Note to Doug Flutie fans: The fact that Doug Flutie was a better QB than Rob Johnson in NO WAY means he was a good NFL QB. I don't know why that is so hard to understand.

So now Doug Flutie is better than Trent Dilfer huh? The same Trent Dilfer who went 7-1 as a starter for the Ravens, led them to 3 straight playoff wins and a Superbowl championship? That Trent Dilfer? And you say I'm biased.

no kidding...keeps bringing up Flutie's "record" as a starter but when it comes to a QB who had a better "record", he won't give him the same credit

talk about having your face in Flutie's crotch

And with that the Flutie fans grow silent. Nestled in their beds wearing their Doug Flutie jammies, while visions of the Hail Mary pass play over and over in their heads. Never mind the fact that Gerald Phelan was the real hero...just go to sleep. Shhhh...good night.

no kidding...keeps bringing up Flutie's "record" as a starter but when it comes to a QB who had a better "record", he won't give him the same credit

talk about having your face in Flutie's crotch

You were the ones saying that Flutie had no credible influence on the team making the playoffs.

it's a team game and he wasn't the reason we made it in 1999 by any stretch of the imagination

I'm just saying that's an asinine statement. And yes, Trent Dilfer was a journeyman quarterback who didn't have great mobility or improvisation skills, but had good managing skills and could make that one play that they needed.

But if you want to talk about defenses carrying the team, Baltimore's defense during that team era did TONS more scoring their offense did. Dilfer only completed 48% of his passes in that Super Bowl and was sacked nearly 4 times. Talk about defense carrying the team. Maybe if you dropped the Jills obsession for a few minutes you could see that. :lol:

Trent's completion percentage in those playoffs that led to the Super Bowl:

@ Ten = 31.3%

@ Oak = 50.0%

@ New York = 48.0%

I'm not saying completion percentage determines the whole outcome, but obviously those are low and for them to win something else was a factor (Answer: Ray Lewis and Co.).

And furthermore, if you re-read my posts, I'm not ga-ga over Flutie, I'm just saying to dismiss his influence on making the playoffs in any fashion is insane and ignorant. And I'm also saying that just because RJ had the team winning in the first quarter against any team in 98 before he got his brain smashed doesn't mean s**t and it's a worthless point that some people are ignorantly making. I'd much prefer to watch a 5'10 quarterback with a chip on his shoulder than a wanna-be gangsta surfing kid who broke the NFL sack record at the time FOR A QB. Call me crazy.

To top that off, the Bills didn't have a #1 defense til the 1999 season, not 98, but either way it was nowhere near Baltimore's defense in 2000.

Hope this helps!

Flutie was a guy who was loved by the media because he was a short white guy (aka scrappy). He was a guy who played QB in a different way which while different was not better but the media loved it. I never get the love obsession either everyone hates on RJ but if it wasn't for the music city miracle he would have won a playoff game. While I know that you stick with the girl you took to the dance its was really the defense that made the Bills anything.

But yeah Flutie was a scrappy underdog who always gave it one hundred and ten percent, he had the heart of a lion and never backed down even when he was up against impossible odds. Also the whole Notre Dame thing didn't hurt.

:lol: What "Notre Dame thing"?

Guest dog14787
And with that the Flutie fans grow silent. Nestled in their beds wearing their Doug Flutie jammies, while visions of the Hail Mary pass play over and over in their heads. Never mind the fact that Gerald Phelan was the real hero...just go to sleep. Shhhh...good night.

zzzzzzzzzzzGO FLUTIEzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzGO FLUTIEzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzGO FLUTIEzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ

This does not automatically equate to Doug Flutie being a good QB. During their SB year, the Ravens won more under Trent Dilfer than they did under Tony Banks. Based on Flake logic: Trent Dilfer must be a good QB.

See response to A.

Based on your own admission, Flutie alone did not do it.

Therefore, if he was not alone, than he alone is NOT the reason for the success.

Reference: Trent Dilfer, Tony Banks, 2000 Baltimore Ravens

2 hypothetical questions:

If the Bills did NOT have a great defense, do you think the Bills would have achieved the same record?

If the Bills had John Elway as QB, do you think the Bills would have achieved a similar record?

A. I am not an RJ supporter. Your assumption was wrong.

B. Regarding NASA and Neil Armstrong, nobody has ever stated the reason a man walked on the moon was due to Neil Armstrong. Contrast that with the Flake insistence Doug Flutie saved the franchise.

C. Yes, Flutie was QB of the TEAM that made the playoffs. But that does not automatically equate to Doug Flutie being a good QB.

Reference: Trent Dilfer, Tony Banks, 2000 Baltimore Ravens

Just ask Trent Dilfer and the 2000 Baltimore Ravens.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Saying that Dilfer is anywhere near the QB Flutie was borders on insanity. Dilfer was an awful QB. He was a dufus screwup at the beginning of his career.Then went to Baltimore--where granted he didnt screw up enough to lose them the SB while having arguably the best defense of all time.Then as a thanks for his great work baltimore cuts him. Ends up career in SF where he played the position at perhaps the lowest level in NFL history since RJs last pathetic hiccups in tampa bay.