don't look now

True story: In the screenplay for "The Postman Always Rings Twice" written by David Mamet, in that famous sex scene on the kitchen table, Mamet's description of the action was "They kiss."

That's why we allow them to take artistic license.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

March of the Penguins was hot if, of course, you're a penguin.

But seriously, I always found the sexual tension between Bogart and Bacall in "To Have and Have Not" riveting even though they don't "do it" or come anywhere near close to doing it. From the the depth of their conversations, though, it's relatively easy to imagine that they did in fact do it ... and several times. The whole "you just put your lips together and blow" line is one of my favorites and makes it one of my all-time favorite movies.

And it's a movie, to me, that provides proof that a film does not need to be bogged down by a predictable love scene of actors pretending to writhe under sheets, etc. etc. etc.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, though I'd vote for Kim Basinger's masturbation scene in 9-1/2 weeks as being one of the hottest moments in film, especially considering it came out during my, how should I put it, "formative years."

jw

I am working my way through the "best 100 films" of all time as a New Year's resolution. Last night I saw "Don't look now" which is a bit of a cult film and alittle artsy fartsy for my taste...however...the sex scene between Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland is really something. Very graphic but well done with interspersing shots of the couple getting dressed. It is a much copied and tributed film, although I think it was a little precious. But those of you into sex and/or Julie Christi might want to rent it.

I'm pretty sure that Sutherland and Christie were a real life couple and the reason that scene is so good is that they really went at it and just told the cameramen to film it with a bit of discretion. I'd look up a link for you, but I'm in a bit of a rush.

March of the Penguins was hot if, of course, you're a penguin.

But seriously, I always found the sexual tension between Bogart and Bacall in "To Have and Have Not" riveting even though they don't "do it" or come anywhere near close to doing it. From the the depth of their conversations, though, it's relatively easy to imagine that they did in fact do it ... and several times. The whole "you just put your lips together and blow" line is one of my favorites and makes it one of my all-time favorite movies.

And it's a movie, to me, that provides proof that a film does not need to be bogged down by a predictable love scene of actors pretending to writhe under sheets, etc. etc. etc.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, though I'd vote for Kim Basinger's masturbation scene in 9-1/2 weeks as being one of the hottest moments in film, especially considering it came out during my, how should I put it, "formative years."

jw

The scene in "Double Indemnity" when Barbara Stanwyck is coming down the staircase with the ankle bracelet. I found myself thinking, My God what a sexy broad...then remembering she was the Mom on that tv western. There is another scene where the husband is strangled by Fred McMurray and you hear the sound and all you see is her face. God there is a certain subtlety to those shots that shows what happens when you let the brain work as well as the eyes.

The penguin stuff was filthy. March of the Penguins should have had an X rating.

I am working my way through the "best 100 films" of all time as a New Year's resolution. Last night I saw "Don't look now" which is a bit of a cult film and alittle artsy fartsy for my taste...however...the sex scene between Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland is really something. Very graphic but well done with interspersing shots of the couple getting dressed. It is a much copied and tributed film, although I think it was a little precious. But those of you into sex and/or Julie Christi might want to rent it.

Is Donald Sutherland well hung?

Is Donald Sutherland well hung?

Your obviously thinking of the Ox-Bow Incident where Henry Fonda was well hung. There was a movie where Clint Eastwood was hung, but it wasn't so well as he lived and killed a lot of the guys who hung him. And wasn't Well Hung the chinese guy who beats up Frank Sinatra in Manchurian Candidate?

Seriously...I was looking at Julie Christie the whole time. Check with VA Bills about Donald Sutherland.

God there is a certain subtlety to those shots that shows what happens when you let the brain work as well as the eyes.

that's very much like the unsettling ear-cutting scene in Reservoir Dogs in which we only hear it happen while camera is focused on the radio. subtlety, that was the word i was looking for last night when trying to describe the interplay (intercourse?!) between Bogey and Bacall throughout the movie. thanks.

also, to follow up Basinger's solo scene in 9-1/2 weeks, wondering if women got a "rise" out of Judge Reinhold's snake shake in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High?" somehow i think it's different.

jw

Then there is also Russ Gallo and Chloe Sevingyy on "Brown Bunny"...I guess that was a "legit" film?

For those with more sophisticted taste:

The gorgeous Lena Olin and Daniel Day Lewis in "The Unbearable Lightness of Being"

and Greta Sacchi and Eric Roberts in the "Coca Cola Kid"....