Sporting News Ranks Returners

Hadn't seen this posted yet - if it was, my apologies:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=554869

Interesting article, says that "With the elimination of wedge blockers, return men will be under greater pressure because cover teams will be able to get downfield more easily. Sure hands will be a key in the return game, as will the ability to make the first tackler miss and get upfield quickly."

Bills excerpts as follows:

6. Leodis McKelvin, Bills: McKelvin found his niche in the return game as a rookie last season, averaging over 28 yards on kickoff returns. He's big and fast, making him tough to bring down. He'll be back in the return role in 2009.

14. Roscoe Parrish, Bills: Though the signing of Terrell Owens and the emergence of Leodis McKelvin as a dangerous kick returner will limit Parrish's role with the Bills this year, he remains a dynamic returner who has at least one punt-return touchdown in each of the last three seasons. Extremely quick and instinctive as a runner, he sees running lanes well and can make multiple defenders miss in the open field.

Nice to see our guys getting a little special teams love!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally I don't let these lists bother me (or make me all that happy, either). And, yes, it is nice to see two Bills on the list...but...

Parrish at #14? WTF is that?

Maybe because he only does punts??

Leodis, who is also great, only did KOs, and he was #6. About half the guys above him only did one of the two.

I'm sure that hurt him in the overall rankings but it shouldn't be 14. He led the league and again, the best average ever.

Leodis, who is also great, only did KOs, and he was #6. About half the guys above him only did one of the two.

I'm sure that hurt him in the overall rankings but it shouldn't be 14. He led the league and again, the best average ever.

Very well said.

Maybe because he only does punts??

Another confusing thing about the article. Since Roscoe only does punts, how does using McKelvin for kickoffs limit Parrish's role with the team? He's returned 18 kickoffs over his career, only 8 in the last two years. McKelvin doesn't limit his role any more than McGee did.

I am of the true opinion that Leodis has a chance to be one of the best ever. I'm not even sure if he knows what he is doing yet in terms of the pro game and teams kick away from him. Certainly he has many more tricks to learn.

If he is as good as I suspect that he might be, this can pose problems in terms of his position. Also, if he turns out to be a very good corner, how long do you let him return kicks? I just don't want Dumbo to continue his run on defensive backs. We might be getting close to being a strong team.

Hadn't seen this posted yet - if it was, my apologies:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=554869

Interesting article, says that "With the elimination of wedge blockers, return men will be under greater pressure because cover teams will be able to get downfield more easily. Sure hands will be a key in the return game, as will the ability to make the first tackler miss and get upfield quickly."

Bills excerpts as follows:

6. Leodis McKelvin, Bills: McKelvin found his niche in the return game as a rookie last season, averaging over 28 yards on kickoff returns. He's big and fast, making him tough to bring down. He'll be back in the return role in 2009.

14. Roscoe Parrish, Bills: Though the signing of Terrell Owens and the emergence of Leodis McKelvin as a dangerous kick returner will limit Parrish's role with the Bills this year, he remains a dynamic returner who has at least one punt-return touchdown in each of the last three seasons. Extremely quick and instinctive as a runner, he sees running lanes well and can make multiple defenders miss in the open field.

Nice to see our guys getting a little special teams love!

Leodis, Mcgee and Parrish should all be top 5, at the very least, top ten. Terrible list

I don't believe they typically use wedges on PR, so is the rule change at all relevant?

As for Parrish being #14? Come on, be serious. Some/most of his success might be attributable to our overall strong special teams, but he's been consistently (over his short career) among the tops in the league avg wise. And some of the things he does are just phenomenal.

5' 8" 184lbs is "big"?? Not even in the MLB.

You could make the argument that Johnnie Lee Higgins and Jacoby Jones are at least as good as Roscoe. For punts, the real measure is returns over 20 yards and TDs. The extra 2-3 yards per that Roscoe brings is not meaningful field position. Also, Roscoe didn't have to return too many punts (21) with our crappy D.

They're all pretty close.

You could make the argument that Johnnie Lee Higgins and Jacoby Jones are at least as good as Roscoe. For punts, the real measure is returns over 20 yards and TDs. The extra 2-3 yards per that Roscoe brings is not meaningful field position. Also, Roscoe didn't have to return too many punts (21) with our crappy D.

Yep.

Devin Hester didn't make the list? :devil: That list loses all credibility from that fact alone, although there is a lot of other stuff I disagree with besides just that.

Leodis, Mcgee and Parrish should all be top 5, at the very least, top ten. Terrible list

Agreed. I'd honestly still rank McGee #1 of the lot, but I obviously understand why he's not returning kicks anymore.

Maybe Reggie Bush is #1 because he's got all of this added value as a "decoy" on kick returns too. :devil:

Well, over 20 yards is ONE measure, not "the real" measure.

Anyway, the list is flawed in too many ways to take seriously. Here are some of the obvious screwups:

• The absence of Hester
  • Parrish at #14
  • The author's/editor's inability to count: "RealScouts, Sporting News' team of former NFL scouts, ranks its top 10 returners for '09:" There were 15 players listed.
  • Somehow believing the addition of TO to the Bills' roster negatively impacts the role Parrish will have in the return game. WTF are they thinking?

So, as usual, this list is just another POS list, that shouldn't be taken seriously. These lists have one goal: To start people talking about the list. To that end, they have succeeded.

The very best lifetime PR average in the history of the NFL, in his absolute prime, is 14th this season?

He doesn't even have the best career average on the Bills. Fred Jackson is 16.6.

Now you'll come up with some lame criteria for what makes him the #1 best PR in NFL history. What does the NFL records say the official criteria is?

He doesn't even have the best career average on the Bills. Fred Jackson is 16.6.

Now you'll come up with some lame criteria for what makes him the #1 best PR in NFL history. What does the NFL records say the official criteria is?

75 career punt returns qualifies for official NFL statistics. Parrish is #1.