Most underrated receivers of all time

Tcali

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was John Taylor underrated? I think it got to the point where people said that so much he was closer to OVERrated, kinda like Daryl Talley. Both great players but by the end of their careers they were no longer underrated.

Jerry Butler was my favorite player back then and WOULD have been great had he not gotten injured, but he did. he only accomplished so much, so it's hard to say he should be rated above guys who had more productive careers.

It's funny... a lot of people will immediately think of Chandler, but any Bill's fan that had the pleasure to watch him play will tell you just how special of a player he was (at the same time calling him underrated).

Was John Taylor underrated? I think it got to the point where people said that so much he was closer to OVERrated, kinda like Daryl Talley. Both great players but by the end of their careers they were no longer underrated.

Jerry Butler was my favorite player back then and WOULD have been great had he not gotten injured, but he did. he only accomplished so much, so it's hard to say he should be rated above guys who had more productive careers.

Darryl Talley was not as good a football player as John Taylor.

I think Jimmy Smith of the Jacksonville Jaguars is one of the most underrated receivers of my time. I'm sure the NFL has had plenty but he's the first name I thought of.

I agree I'd put him right up there.

I think Jimmy Smith of the Jacksonville Jaguars is one of the most underrated receivers of my time. I'm sure the NFL has had plenty but he's the first name I thought of.

I agree.

I'd also add Torry Holt. That guys numbers are ridiculous.

I'd say Frank Lewis was the most underrated in Bills history, even more than Chandler. For a couple years, he was amazing, even though he didn't always get a ton of balls thrown his way.

You beat me to it! Frank Lewis.

Darryl Talley was not as good a football player as John Taylor.

Really? I know it is tough to compare positions but you sound pretty sure of yourself ... these guys sound pretty equal to me:

They both went to two Pro Bowls ... Taylor played just nine seasons and never caught more than 64 passes ... and he was injury prone, playing 16 games just twice. Basically, he was a role player on great teams. He had a rep as a great punt returner, but after 1989 he didn't even do that all that well. Put him on another team, is he a great player?

Talley was a role player compared to Bruce Smith, Bennett, Kelly, Thomas and Reed, but it was a bigger role for a longer period of time since he played 14 seasons in the leage and missed TWO games during the Bills' 1988-94 run of success. Put him on another team he's not a great player but he would have started for 10 years for anyone in the league without a doubt.

I think I'd rather have Talley.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Steve Tasker... 'nuff said.

Ok, not 'nuff said. The guy knew how to run routes and get open. I don't know if he could have been able to play an entire year as a WR, but when he did play he was a playa!

This may be kind of a dumb response, but I'd say Andre Reed is underrated. He was a go to playmaker for one of the best offenses in NFL history for a long period of time. But, despite ending his career second in some categories only to Jerry Rice, he really isn't considered great outside of Buffalo.

People know him yes, but he's rarely considered great, which I think he fantastic WR.