Most underrated receivers of all time

Tcali

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He wasnt underrated when he played, but he is now, and that is Steve Largent...as good as they come, but he gets lost in the shuffle in todays NFL talk of the greats because of the much more gaudy numbers being put up.

He wasnt underrated when he played, but he is now, and that is Steve Largent...as good as they come, but he gets lost in the shuffle in todays NFL talk of the greats because of the much more gaudy numbers being put up.

right on. exactly. he was a flawless receiver.

Include my votes of Steve Largent, Herman Moore & Andre Reed.

I do not see how Jimmy Smith, Tim Brown & Torry Holt are underrated.

I would also like to add to the list:

Fred Barnett

Henry Ellard

Ricky Proehl

I can't agree with this one...yes he had a few good seasons, but his best season was 100 receptions and 1181 yards...considering he was playing in a run n shoot offense with Warren Moon as his QB, not really great numbers. In fact he only had 2 seasons with more than 1,000 yards and faded pretty fast at the end of his career...

That's the point "underrated". Did you watch him play? He wasn't the run and shoot kind of WR, he was the nasty, tough, get open when you need 6 yards type of receiver. He was a handful to deal with, when you played the Oilers. He didn't have gaudy numbers by any stretch, that's why I think he is underrated.

Are you suggesting we only pick receivers that had great numbers that no one talks about? Is that the only way you view someone being overrated? I don't.

That's the point "underrated". Did you watch him play? He wasn't the run and shoot kind of WR, he was the nasty, tough, get open when you need 6 yards type of receiver. He was a handful to deal with, when you played the Oilers. He didn't have gaudy numbers by any stretch, that's why I think he is underrated.

Are you suggesting we only pick receivers that had great numbers that no one talks about? Is that the only way you view someone being overrated? I don't.

I think he was rated about right where he belonged when he played--a good receiver who wasn't among the elite receivers during his time...

I would have to say....... TO. It took 13 years and a move to Buffalo before anyone to realized he is actually better than Jerry Rice.

Largent?? He played in 7 Pro Bowls, was named to the all 1980's NFL team, he retired as the best WR in history, holding all major records at his position and is in the HOF.

Herman Moore is also a good choice.

Ricky Proehl. Rarely talked about, but a guy who went out there and did his job for 16 years Rec: 669 Yds: 8,878 Avg: 13.3 TD: 54 Pretty solid stats for a guy who spent most of his career as a 2nd and 3rd WR. Walking epitome of clutch in big games

Darryl Talley was not as good a football player as John Taylor.

I completely disagree with you. Darryl was one of the leaders of a great team, and played his position with great skill and toughness. He is not a hall of famer, but in the hall of very good as a player, but also a TREMENDOUS character guy. John Taylor had great speed, but also played next to the greatest receiver of ALL TIME. Without Rice Taylor would have been maybe a little above average. He was not a number one guy.

I would have to say....... TO. It took 13 years and a move to Buffalo before anyone to realized he is actually better than Jerry Rice.

Largent?? He played in 7 Pro Bowls, was named to the all 1980's NFL team, he retired as the best WR in history, holding all major records at his position and is in the HOF.

Herman Moore is also a good choice.

I said Largent was not underrated when he played (hence the pro bowls), but is now very underrated by the casual fan...he gets lost in the shuffle with all the gaudy numbers of todays NFL, but he had gaudy numbers before it was the new trend.

I said Largent was not underrated when he played (hence the pro bowls), but is now very underrated by the casual fan...he gets lost in the shuffle with all the gaudy numbers of todays NFL, but he had gaudy numbers before it was the new trend.

I agree. Largent wasn't underrated then, but he is now.

But for me, there is only one guy. And it's because he played so long ago that virtually nobody who saw him play is still alive and arguing hard for him. He is the only guy who deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Jerry Rice, yet you virtually never hear his name, basically because most fans can't be bothered to look back beyond the days when they first started watching TV.

DON HUTSON!! The Alabama Antelope!! Arguably the greatest ever. Certainly up with Rice as the two greatest in history. But when was the last time you heard his name?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Hutson

When he retired after the 1945 season, Hutson had caught 488 passes. The second-place receiver at the time had just 190 receptions. Now, that is amazing!!!