anyone else excited to see this new O-Line?!?!

i know they have a tough road ahead of them, having an almost entirely new unit and being so young, but I am pumped to see this new type of lineman on the field.

nasty maulers. about time. hopefully, our game plans and play calling will play to their strengths.

i really want to see these guys get mean and knock some people on their butts!

Go Bills!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very excited about the new interior blockers. It might really be a first step toward creating a team which is physical, and suited for the elements.

That said, the need for a LT is glaring. Hopefully, Jauron won't be there in 2010 to screw things up.

I am very excited about the new interior blockers. It might really be a first step toward creating a team which is physical, and suited for the elements.

That said, the need for a LT is glaring. Hopefully, Jauron won't be there in 2010 to screw things up.

I think the line will be good already in 2009 and only get better after that.

I may be overly optimistic about LT, but I think Walker will do OK. The Peters thing messed up our minds somewhat in that we had perhaps the most talented LT in the game, but one who wouldn't really put out for us and actually was a net negative at times. Now we think we need another pro bowl LT for Trent to survive. But most teams get by fine with a decent LT if the rest of the line is good. I think that is where we will be this year.

I may be overly optimistic about LT, but I think Walker will do OK. The Peters thing messed up our minds somewhat in that we had perhaps the most talented LT in the game, but one who wouldn't really put out for us and actually was a net negative at times. Now we think we need another pro bowl LT for Trent to survive. But most teams get by fine with a decent LT if the rest of the line is good. I think that is where we will be this year.

Agreed 100%. Walker did a fine job filling in at the spot last year, and he's given us every reason to think he'll be okay since the day he got here.

"Replying to anyone else excited to see this new O-Line?!?!"

No, I'm actually cringing. Success of an O-line hinges on their ability to perform as a unit and that typically takes 2-4 years of stable personnel and coaching to accomplish. So, if they don't succeed this season we most likely change coaching staffs and blow the whole thing up again.

All that being said, Kugler seems to have a plan and I pray to God he pulls off the Hail Mary and succeeds this year with the O-line. Go Bills!

And good luck with that! :lol:

This is the kind of offensive line that develops in other cities when the starters are "decimated" due to injury. There is nothing to be optimistic about 5 players playing new positions in the NFL . and 2 of them are rookies. This line is a joke and topping that off we have an OL coach that is OJT.. Good luck Edwards , 50/50 he lasts to game 4..

I agree completely. I think this line will be better than they were last year. I for one am very excited to see how well the interior linemen play. I am not as concerned about the tackle positions as everyone else. I think Walker will do just fine over on the left side and Butler should be ok at RT.

The best part about this is that each spot is up for grabs at this point. I like the thought that whoever is the best will play at that spot. I think you will see the interior line move around a little bit. Either way, they should smack some ppl in the mouth this year.

Here's the deal. IF, and I mean IF Turk is a decent coordinator, this line should gel and be an immediate wrecking crew. In order for them to do so they need to strip down the blocking complexity by streamlining the playbook. If you keep things simple and have the players execute you will be fine. If you make things complicated, mistakes are made, plays are busted and TE gets hurt. One reason why the early 90's Bills line was so good is the blocking complexity was about as simple as it comes. The offense had a simple playbook that was all about execution. If you properly execute, the defense can even know what you are doing and you can still make progress. The key is for Turk to put them in a position to properly execute...

It would be nice to see the OL actually get ticked off when Edwards or whoever was the starter gets hit and more importantley gets hit late. The old OL had about as much fire as a wet match.

And about as much talent

"Replying to anyone else excited to see this new O-Line?!?!"

No, I'm actually cringing. Success of an O-line hinges on their ability to perform as a unit and that typically takes 2-4 years of stable personnel and coaching to accomplish. So, if they don't succeed this season we most likely change coaching staffs and blow the whole thing up again.

All that being said, Kugler seems to have a plan and I pray to God he pulls off the Hail Mary and succeeds this year with the O-line. Go Bills!

Yeah that Jets line with Rookies Nick Mangold and D'Brickshaw was brutal. :lol:

What I look forward to seeing is guys getting moved OFF THE BALL by this mean interior......they might get an edge every once in a while for a sack.....but I can literally see this line just dominating in the middle........allowing our backs to just control clock, chew up yards, and score at the end.....

And when you think about it....that is the best thing that can happen for these coaches....DJ is such a conservative close to the vest coach that players who excel in that area will make him look much better......

What will be interesting is if TO starts complaining about lack of balls thrown his way because we will be running the ball more.

This is the kind of offensive line that develops in other cities when the starters are "decimated" due to injury. There is nothing to be optimistic about 5 players playing new positions in the NFL . and 2 of them are rookies. This line is a joke and topping that off we have an OL coach that is OJT.. Good luck Edwards , 50/50 he lasts to game 4..

This is another example of "it's new, so it must be better." Not one guy on the OL is proven at the position they're going to start at in September. Hangartner is the closest, but even that's a push.

But, it's new and the Bills have shown an affinity for replacing bad with new and unproven. Especially on the OL.

This is another example of "it's new, so it must be better." Not one guy on the OL is proven at the position they're going to start at in September. Hangartner is the closest, but even that's a push.

But, it's new and the Bills have shown an affinity for replacing bad with new and unproven. Especially on the OL and the DL.

Corrected.

I see less than 5 wins this year....maybe just 1 or 2.....if they prove me wrong, great.

Yeah that Jets line with Rookies Nick Mangold and D'Brickshaw was brutal. :lol:

Definitely, and after getting Faneca and Woody last year they were just starting to come together. Could have a dominating year this year but you never know with new coaches. I just can't understand how Buffalo's coaches/FO let things go this way. 2 rookies, new center, couple project players that might help, only 2 returning starters are both changing positions. Seems insane especially considering coaching staff, possibly some FO jobs on the line this year.

Only thing that gives me hope is the 2007 Browns when they drafted Thomas, brought in Steinbach, had a new offensive coordinator (Chudzinski) and put a hell of an O-line and offense on the field, though I think Buffalo's situation is much harder than that one.

I expect Buff to lose the first 4 games and if they can keep TE and other skill players from being hurt than I'll be happy. I'd be ecstatic if they can win any of those and have any consistancy at the O-line. After that, I'm hoping they'll improve and finish strong. Hope I'm wrong and they exceed these expectations. I've read in the past that the no-huddle simplifies the O-line sets/playcalling so that may be our primary salvation for a competitive offense. Providing Walker can get his big *ss down the field.

im a big believer in the line having to work as a unit and the more the guys can play together, the better. but im not too worried about this line having a problem gelling, since Hangartner, Butler and our 2 new Guards all play with the same philosophy.

im not too worried about our rookies playing "new" positions since they arent really "new" positions for them. and coming from Center, Woods had to know every positions assignments anyways. a perfect example is Brad Butler, he didnt play interior in college, yet was our best Guard on the team. If our rookies can play as well as Butler has then this line is light years better than last years.

and the Cardinals proved that you can get away with a mediocre LT as long as the interior is strong. IMO, Walker is a better tackle than Gandy, or at least equal to.

if used correctly, a strong, mean, consistent running game will back off the rushers/blitz and allow Walker a little relief.

like John said:

What I look forward to seeing is guys getting moved OFF THE BALL by this mean interior......they might get an edge every once in a while for a sack.....but I can literally see this line just dominating in the middle........allowing our backs to just control clock, chew up yards, and score at the end.....

And when you think about it....that is the best thing that can happen for these coaches....DJ is such a conservative close to the vest coach that players who excel in that area will make him look much better......

What will be interesting is if TO starts complaining about lack of balls thrown his way because we will be running the ball more.