Best QBs available in FA: Rex Grossman and J.P. Losman

According to Don Pompei

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30851442/

Quarterbacks

The two best are Rex Grossman and J.P. Losman, a pair of former first-round picks who bombed out with their first teams. It is interesting that no teams up to this point have tried to turn these players into reclamation projects. We have seen many passers fail with their first team only to find themselves with a second team later in their careers, and it is possible Grossman or Losman could be one of those players.

There is a trend among teams to go with two young backups rather than to bring in a retread, however.

Rumor is his real name is KC Joyner.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Don Pompei

Quarterbacks

The two best are Rex Grossman and J.P. Losman, a pair of former first-round picks who bombed out with their first teams. It is interesting that no teams up to this point have tried to turn these players into reclamation projects. We have seen many passers fail with their first team only to find themselves with a second team later in their careers, and it is possible Grossman or Losman could be one of those players.

There is a trend among teams to go with two young backups rather than to bring in a retread, however.

They both are still available because, uhm, they s u c k!

According to Don Pompei

Quarterbacks

Lost-man will get signed during training camp, as QB's get injured or play their way out of town. As far has him becoming a starter in the NFL that can play 16 games with at least 2,500 yards, 15 TD passes and less INT's, and a steady passer rating over 80, forget it. He could not achieve that behind the Pat's O-line with Moss and Welker, in my humble opinion.

just because he's saying they're the "best left" doesn't mean he's saying that they are any good.

Exactly.

If I go into Walmart to purchase a bucket and the only one that's on the shelf is full of feces then it's the best left.

According to Don Pompei

Quarterbacks

Grossman is trying out for the UFL.

According to UFLAccess.com, which is a site for fans, former Bears quarterback Rex Grossman will participate in drills in front of UFL head coaches.

The Web site quotes a Las Vegas television station, saying that another player, Graham Harrell, will also participate in the drills in a "pro day" in Las Vegas.

A representative from the UFL would not confirm any players who will be in attendance at the workout.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/story?id=4182092

As far has him becoming a starter in the NFL that can play 16 games with at least 2,500 yards, 15 TD passes and less INT's, and a steady passer rating over 80, forget it. He could not achieve that behind the Pat's O-line with Moss and Welker, in my humble opinion.

I also doubt clean up the city boy could achieve those stats with Patriots level talent. In order for him to do that, he would probably need talent around him at an incredibly high level. I mean real high. I mean 2006 Buffalo Bills high.

Lost-man will get signed during training camp, as QB's get injured or play their way out of town. As far has him becoming a starter in the NFL that can play 16 games with at least 2,500 yards, 15 TD passes and less INT's, and a steady passer rating over 80, forget it. He could not achieve that behind the Pat's O-line with Moss and Welker, in my humble opinion.
He did it in 2006 with the Bills O-line and receivers, no reason to think it couldn't happen again

Losman would be a decent backup for a good team if he had a couple of years under their system to settle down and figure things out. Look, if Todd Collins can play a few good games then Losman can as well.

sadly, even with the extra chances I gave JP for being a first class citizen of Buffalo, he has run out of the benefit of the doubt. He blows. Hope he can catch on as a backup for a couple of years, pad his bank. But, he really should be thinking about what is next in life.

According to Don Pompei

Quarterbacks

I would have liked to see Grossman as our B/U QB. JP is an unmitigated bust in every possible aspect.

I also doubt clean up the city boy could achieve those stats with Patriots level talent. In order for him to do that, he would probably need talent around him at an incredibly high level. I mean real high. I mean 2006 Buffalo Bills high.

I forgot all about 2006. :D

But can you blame me? Lost-man himself forgot how to play that well half way through '07. :ph34r:

I'm not taking JP's side here, just go back and look at his Head coaches and QB coaches and how frequently they changed, not many QB's could evolve under those circumstances. Not to mention how he kept getting pulled again and again, that would sap anyone's confidence.

How would you like Turk Schonert as your QB coach or offensive coordinator, a 10 year backup holding a clipboard and 10 year assistant coach who never achieved anything himself. Ralph Wilson wanted him fired and replaced after last season. Jauron kept him claiming he wanted "continuity" on the team, what a load of HS.

This coaching staff is a QB killer and will be until they are all fired and replaced. Want to see someone have a tough time finding another job, see where Schonert goes after this season.

I'm not taking JP's side here, just go back and look at his Head coaches and QB coaches and how frequently they changed, not many QB's could evolve under those circumstances. Not to mention how he kept getting pulled again and again, that would sap anyone's confidence.

How would you like Turk Schonert as your QB coach or offensive coordinator, a 10 year backup holding a clipboard and 10 year assistant coach who never achieved anything himself. Ralph Wilson wanted him fired and replaced after last season. Jauron kept him claiming he wanted "continuity" on the team, what a load of HS.

This coaching staff is a QB killer and will be until they are all fired and replaced. Want to see someone have a tough time finding another job, see where Schonert goes after this season.

This is right on. JP should be pissed he had to put up with horrible coaching, it cost him everything. If he had had decent coaching from day 1, things might be very different and he might be looking at a big contract now. That Jets gaffe last year (which is why his phone has not rung, likely) is a perfect example of bad coaching leading to a bad play. FU DJ!

You've got things kind of @ss backwards here.

He was getting pulled because he was bad enough that the team couldn't trust him. You know he only had two head coaches in 5 years-that's hardly a formula that guarantees that a QB will be ruined. You make it sound like he had 5 head coaches. If Turk has been an assistant for 10 years, he must be doing something right, otherwise he would have been unemployed long ago.

The coaching staff is hardly a QB killer, but from day one nothing has disproven a former poster's claim that JP is a coach killer on the day we drafted him. If anything, 2 head coaches realized what a coach killer he is and exiled him to the bench.

Funny, but it's JP who is having a tough time finding a job. I believe there are several reasons for this, the Jets game being way down on the list. That list includes his scatterbrain which makes it virtually impossible to a)calm him down & b) for a coach to be able to teach him anything. Then there's the whole reaction to losing the starting job in his 4th year. Instead of doing everything possible to make himself valuable to the team & any subsequent team, he went into a funk, asked to be traded & then basically ran himself out of the league when given an opportunity to play. The fact that he thought his "talent" was good enough to expect another team to want to trade for him after he lost the job in Buffalo indicates he just doesn't get it. Then, where is he when free agency begins?-Instead of trying to maximize his chances by being available to visit any team that might have a slight interest in him, he's on vacation in another country. If he wasn't bright enough to be available on a 24/7 basis, don't you think his agent should have told him get your @ss back to the USA? Finally, there's a lot more wrong with JP than anyone here can figure out. The fact that nobody has shown any interest in him indicates that there's something in his attitude/scouting report that screams out lost cause.

According to Don Pompei

Quarterbacks

Fair enough.

To me, the real story from this story is this:

"Offensive linemen

Levi Jones could be the best free agent available at any position, and the only reason he is available is because he was released late in the process as a result of the Bengals drafting Andre Smith. The other name that stands out at this position is Jon Runyan. He should be snapped up before too long."

Git 'er done.

You know he only had two head coaches in 5 years-that's hardly a formula that guarantees that a QB will be ruined. You make it sound like he had 5 head coaches. If Turk has been an assistant for 10 years, he must be doing something right, otherwise he would have been unemployed long ago.

Head coaches don't have a lot to do with QBs directly. Offensive coordinators and QB coaches do. I believe Losman had four of those in five years. Get it?

And Turk has been an assistant for 10 years, but an offensive coordinator for one, and is very much on the hot seat because of the offense's lack of success regardless of which QB was on the field.

Funny, but it's JP who is having a tough time finding a job.

And where is the evidence for this? You have none. Well before the draft, JP's agent made it clear that JP didn't want to sign with anyone before the draft, for obvious reasons, in fact, just the reasons in the article above. He wanted to make sure that the team didn't turn around and sign a young guy to develop. He wanted to find the right place to land.

Now, after the draft, how many FA QBs have signed? There is no hurry for JP. There is also no evidence that he's having a tough time finding a job. That's just what you want to believe.

Then there's the whole reaction to losing the starting job in his 4th year. Instead of doing everything possible to make himself valuable to the team & any subsequent team, he went into a funk, asked to be traded & then basically ran himself out of the league when given an opportunity to play.

This is just me, but I prefer posts that have some connection to reality, no matter how slight. He handled himself extremely well, and nobody - with any connection to the league or in the media - has said any different. He didn't play all that well this year, I have to give you that, very inconsistent as you would expect many young QBs to be, especially QBs playing in a system that doesn't fit them. That much is true. But a bad attitude, a funk .... it's complete nonsense. The only people who have said otherwise are haters on message boards, people who ... oh, people like you. Got it.

But what are the odds that the NFL will ever see that level of talent assembled on one team again?

Ha ha ha ha. Oh, man, you have tears coming to my eyes with that one. Funny stuff.

Yeah, the o-line that year, with Gandy, Tutan Reyes and Terrence Pennington, how often do you see three such obvious pro bowl snubs on one team. Man, if we were only a media center like New York or L.A. ...

JP never stepped up and made enough plays to keep the job. On the other had DJ & co wanted him to be a game manager which he is not. JP is a gunslinger. I think he has a better chance than Rex to be a player in this league.

Head coaches don't have a lot to do with QBs directly. Offensive coordinators and QB coaches do. I believe Losman had four of those in five years. Get it?

I was replying to a statement about too many head coaches. Get it?

And Turk has been an assistant for 10 years, but an offensive coordinator for one, and is very much on the hot seat because of the offense's lack of success regardless of which QB was on the field.

The poster I was responding to said he'd done nothing on his own & implied that he is unemployable outside of his current job. I replied that the fact that he's coached as long as he has shows he's not some guy who won't ever have another job in the NFL in a year or 2.

And where is the evidence for this? You have none. Well before the draft, JP's agent made it clear that JP didn't want to sign with anyone before the draft, for obvious reasons, in fact, just the reasons in the article above. He wanted to make sure that the team didn't turn around and sign a young guy to develop. He wanted to find the right place to land.

Now, after the draft, how many FA QBs have signed? There is no hurry for JP. There is also no evidence that he's having a tough time finding a job. That's just what you want to believe.

My evidence is that there are few if any jobs left & JP remains unsigned. If his agent said he didn't want JP signing before the draft, when there were still a lot of spots open, then his agent is as incompetent at his profession as his client is. His agent's job was to get him a job before all the spots were taken, which is before the draft, not after.

This is just me, but I prefer posts that have some connection to reality, no matter how slight. He handled himself extremely well, and nobody - with any connection to the league or in the media - has said any different. He didn't play all that well this year, I have to give you that, very inconsistent as you would expect many young QBs to be, especially QBs playing in a system that doesn't fit them. That much is true. But a bad attitude, a funk .... it's complete nonsense. The only people who have said otherwise are haters on message boards, people who ... oh, people like you. Got it.

Did you ever go to a game and watch him on the sidelines during a game he wasn't playing in? The guy was basically just hanging around like a kid who is on the bench & would rather be home. That's the reality of the situation. You either were not at the games, or if you were, totally ignored his sideline showing of no interest during the games. By the way I'm not a JP hater, I'm just telling it as it is. It's the people who can't handle the truth that label the JP realists as JP haters.

Sorry, but teams have started to run ota's. If you do not think teams think it is important to have their qbs signed now & in camp, I do not know what to say to that. Losman may get signed but my guess it is only going to be a if a qb gets hurt in camp.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm 50 and overweight and you could add me to that list.

PTR

Looks like Losman is going to have a hell of time making a roster this summer if he even gets that chance. I take no satisfaction being right on this one, but it just goes to show how bad our qb situation has been with this guy under center the last three years. It was almost like we were playing with one hand tied behind our back with Losman as our qb.

Looks like Losman is going to have a hell of time making a roster this summer if he even gets that chance. I take no satisfaction being right on this one, but it just goes to show how bad our qb situation has been with this guy under center the last three years. It was almost like we were playing with one hand tied behind our back with Losman as our qb.

I've said this before but when we look back at the Losman era, we will realize how good of a job Fairchild & Jauron did making JP look somewhat liek a passable NFL QB in 2006. Fairchild was not close to as bad as people made him out to be and is already achieved a lot of success at a previous bad CSU program.

I've said this before but when we look back at the Losman era, we will realize how good of a job Fairchild & Jauron did making JP look somewhat liek a passable NFL QB in 2006. Fairchild was not close to as bad as people made him out to be and is already achieved a lot of success at a previous bad CSU program.

I once posted the offseason after Fairchild left for CSU that he was not as bad as everybody made him out to be & he was dealt a lousy hand to work with because he could not trust his qb to do certain things you need to do in a game for an offense to be successful. Fairchild has done a nice job so far at Colorado State & he had success in St Louis. The problem was not Fairchild for the most part.