Finally some news on McCargo...

eball

After hearing nothing about the guy since the voided trade attempt last season, this was a refreshing read. He has the talent to be a significant contributor, and it sounds as though he has dedicated himself physically and mentally to trying to reach that level. If I read between the lines, Bill Kollar and McCargo were like oil and water. Or, perhaps McCargo simply needed to grow up. In any event, he's young enough that he could remove the "bust" label if he makes something of this second chance.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After hearing nothing about the guy since the voided trade attempt last season, this was a refreshing read. He has the talent to be a significant contributor, and it sounds as though he has dedicated himself physically and mentally to trying to reach that level. If I read between the lines, Bill Kollar and McCargo were like oil and water. Or, perhaps McCargo simply needed to grow up. In any event, he's young enough that he could remove the "bust" label if he makes something of this second chance.

Prove Marv right if he did!

Mccargo was never on the trading block all offseason. There were rumors of Kelsey and Parrish but nothing on Mccargo. This is a 180 degree change from what happened last year. Something must have changed. I never like Kollar as a coach. I hope this new guy will get something out of the D line this year.

Mccargo was never on the trading block all offseason. There were rumors of Kelsey and Parrish but nothing on Mccargo. This is a 180 degree change from what happened last year. Something must have changed. I never like Kollar as a coach. I hope this new guy will get something out of the D line this year.

Hopefully it will push Kelsay (maybe even right out the door!). If I were Parrish though, I would be less than thrilled with the FO treatment of the offseason.

man, i was so high on mccargo last year before the season started. sigh. the thing that sucks is that if he does good this year, he's a FA (right?)... so he realizes his potential then someone signs him away from us.. haha.

I always liked McCargo. The thing I liked most about his comments is he doesn't blame anyone and takes full responsibility. He still is only 25 and definitely has talent. I'm not expecting much but a motivated & healthy McCargo could take this defense to the next level.

Actually he was traded but failed a physical.

The voided trade last year probably has a lot to do with it. Teams probably won't waste time on it if they think he won't pass a physical.

Linky

“I definitely like coach Sanders,” McCargo said. “He’s more of a teacher and has taught us some new techniques with hand work and he has some new skills that he coached in Green Bay that I think will definitely help me out and all of us out. He wants us to do well and we appreciate that and we just try to work hard for him. I like the way he teaches and I think it will benefit us.”

I hope that's true. It seems the Bills have most of the pieces they need, it's just a matter of getting the most out of them. In January of next year I'll tell ya how I think it went.

I always liked McCargo. The thing I liked most about his comments is he doesn't blame anyone and takes full responsibility. He still is only 25 and definitely has talent. I'm not expecting much but a motivated & healthy McCargo could take this defense to the next level.

Boy, I hope so, because that's the one position that scares me on this team. We're as thin as last week's gruel at DT. Stroud goes down and we're toast. I was wondering/hoping about Wendell Bryant; I don't know if anyone's heard any update on that situation. If we were to sign him, and/or McCargo blossoms, it would go a long way to getting the guys off the field. I have horrible visions of the Pats* just chewing up the clock in the fourth quarter, watching 3rd-and-4s and 3rd-and-6s being converted and converted and converted....God, it's painful just replaying it in my mind. :thumbsup: Talk about a buzz-kill at the end of a game. I really hope McCargo steps up, for his sake and for the Bills' sake.

Hope springs eternal and talk is cheap. He can blame injuries and the coaching staff all he wants, but the bottum line is he's had no meaningful impact on the field. And I really doubt that's going to change. One point to remember, the guy was projected as a 3rd round pick. Levy and Modrak traded back into the 1st round to draft him. Can't blame McCargo for being a 1st rounder- that wasn't his fault.

The voided trade last year probably has a lot to do with it. Teams probably won't waste time on it if they think he won't pass a physical.

Linky

“I definitely like coach Sanders,” McCargo said. “He’s more of a teacher and has taught us some new techniques with hand work and he has some new skills that he coached in Green Bay that I think will definitely help me out and all of us out. He wants us to do well and we appreciate that and we just try to work hard for him. I like the way he teaches and I think it will benefit us.”

I hope that's true. It seems the Bills have most of the pieces they need, it's just a matter of getting the most out of them. In January of next year I'll tell ya how I think it went.

Article was an interesting read - playing w/ injury - allegedly prevented him from being in top shape and moving like he wanted/needed - also feeling like he was playing too heavy. I took the quote above to be a shot at Kollar...

Just remember that this is the kind of hopeful article that is written at this time of year.

The players rededicate themselves and it all seems different. It's easy to forget that they also rededicated themselves last year, but nothing happened.

When there's a new coach, he hasn't yet had to scream at them when they made a mistake in a drill. So he seems impressive and he's a good teacher.

We can hope. Guys grow up. But most of the folks who haven't made an impact for a while in the pros actually have a reason that they haven't accomplished anything. You can hope it will all be different. Usually it's just more of the same.

The Bills have been more hype and hope than reality for a long time. I don't think McCargo will develop with the introduction of a new DL coach.

And before anyone goes off the deep end, the Bills initially did not want to let Kollar go to Houston. So evidently they liked Kollar's methods as opposed to being worried about McCargo's development with Kollar present.

Hope springs eternal and talk is cheap. He can blame injuries and the coaching staff all he wants, but the bottum line is he's had no meaningful impact on the field. And I really doubt that's going to change. One point to remember, the guy was projected as a 3rd round pick. Levy and Modrak traded back into the 1st round to draft him. Can't blame McCargo for being a 1st rounder- that wasn't his fault.

I can honestly see how the Bills traded back into the 1st to get him. At times he has flashed the ability to get into the backfield like a superstar would. Obviously these moments are few and far between but even so it has been impressive enough to still have hope for him. For whatever reasons, he has been a non-factor overall. I honestly believe he has the ability to be a playmaker but can't seem to put it all together. It is very frustrating to watch.

I got the sense that none of the players really cared for Kollar. I was glad to see Kollar leave.

And before anyone goes off the deep end, the Bills initially did not want to let Kollar go to Houston. So evidently they liked Kollar's methods as opposed to being worried about McCargo's development with Kollar present.

It's an ongoing problem with this team -- failure to spot a problem and DO something about it. Hell, we'd still have Fairchild if he hadn't been given that college job.

man, i was so high on mccargo last year before the season started. sigh. the thing that sucks is that if he does good this year, he's a FA (right?)... so he realizes his potential then someone signs him away from us.. haha.

I am not sure exactly what made the Bills sour on him. When he was playing the previous year, I kept seeing flashes of why they drafted him as high as they did...at least once or twice a game he was completely blowing up plays in the backfield and being completely disruptive...better than what Williams was doing, although perhaps Williams was more consistent in his play?

The Bills have been more hype and hope than reality for a long time. I don't think McCargo will develop with the introduction of a new DL coach.

I don't know where you got your information from, but since it was a lateral move, the Bills let him leave. If they really wanted him, they would have blocked the Texans from getting him. And they got a better guy in Bob Sanders anyway. Kind of like how they "lost out" on Coles, and got TO instead. :cry: