Finally some news on McCargo...

eball

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have been more hype and hope than reality for a long time. I don't think McCargo will develop with the introduction of a new DL coach.

Riiiiiiight. Because who ever heard of a player benefiting from a change of scenery? Those stories about students finding that special teacher who encouraged and motivated them are pure hogwash as well, I'm sure.

And before anyone goes off the deep end, the Bills initially did not want to let Kollar go to Houston. So evidently they liked Kollar's methods as opposed to being worried about McCargo's development with Kollar present.

Once again, you completely miss the point of my post (and the article) in your haste to trash the organization you claim to support. McCargo didn't blame anyone but himself.

The bottom line is we know absolutely nothing about what sort of production the Bills will get out of McCargo, but I found it refreshing to hear something from him that gives me reason for optimism. Some of us actually look for things to be positive about -- it's pretty easy (and not particularly enlightening) to look at 9 years of missing the playoffs and find fault.

The bottom line is we know absolutely nothing about what sort of production the Bills will get out of McCargo, but I found it refreshing to hear something from him that gives me reason for optimism. Some of us actually look for things to be positive about -- it's pretty easy (and not particularly enlightening) to look at 9 years of missing the playoffs and find fault.

Bills Vet is one of the best posters on this board imo, but I also see your point. I don't expect anything from McCargo because there is no reason to, but it is nice to even perhaps see a glimmer of hope once in a while.

I will give him this.....he didn't blast Kollar, and did take personal responsibility. That is good to hear. Several weeks ago, I heard Hardy talking on Sirius, and he too sounded great. I was very surprised to be honest. He is another guy it is hard to expect much from, but if guys like this produce, it would be of untold help.

I have been through too many losing battles to hold my breath, and I suspect Bills Vet feels the same.

I ordinarily would dismiss information like this on a player and write them off.....but honestly I just cant do that with McCargo

The year before last I really thought he was going to end up being one of our BEST defensive linemen......then something happened.....much in the way I thought Robert Hicks (OT) was on the verge of being a great left tackle for us and then BAM dissapeared without so much as a whimper.......

McCargo has ALL of the tools necessary......I just have this feeling he is not done yet.

I have been through too many losing battles to hold my breath, and I suspect Bills Vet feels the same.

Right on. Love the team, been following them 20+ years. Tired of losing, and tired of mediocrity. Feel good moves make for articles in the off-season. But when play begins, the hype needs to start translating onto the field. Lately, it's been anything but. As in for eight of nine seasons with equal to or less than a .500 record.

I doubt that.

Me too. Fairchild knew the writing was on the wall. How else does he end up going to his alma mater? Awfully convenient to be a coincidence.

Different players have to be motivated differently. Bill Parcells was a master of that psychological art. Perhaps Kollar just tried the same tactics on everyone.

Exactly right. I hate the statement "he's a good boss/coach because he treats everybody the same". That would be great, if we are talking about literally doing the same job, like picking oranges, or shoveling schit. It makes no sense in white collar work, and it's ridiculous in sports. You treat your stars like stars, your scrubs like scrubs. You encourage the scrubs, and teach them to get better, but you don't forget that it's the stars that do the winning for your team, because they won't.

And what's worse, "treating everybody the same" is the ultimate in lazy management. It assumes that people are the same, when they clearly aren't, and therefore allows the lazy manager to simply manage to the lowest common denominator. Each coach should be looking to engage each player and tailor their approach accordingly, not simply yelling the same tired ass platitudes at the whole group, day in and day out.

Kollar has always struck me as a "treat everybody the same" coach. I picked up on this at training camp, and I could tell that it wasn't effective at all: half the guys were ignoring him, the other half were frustrated by him. Exactly zero were motivated by him. It's not that he was wrong, it's that he wasn't coaching, period. He was just yelling the same thing over and over, regardless of what was happening.

I could set up an Ipod w/ speakers and accomplish the same thing.

We do want coaches whom the players like. That's the key to winning football, like your coach.

I don't think they really respected Kollar, either, and that *is* important. I agree, liking your coach is not the main thing (though it doesn't hurt). Why not both? Lou Saban was both respected and liked. I remember an interview with Spencer Johnson last season. I looked for it, but couldn't find it. Anyhow, you could kind of read between the lines that he just though Kollar was an !@#$.