Fast Freddie's contract extension numbers / terms are.......

The financial numbers of Fred Jackson's contract extension are in. His base salaries over the four years are $500,000 this year, $1.195 million in 2010, $1.625 million in 2011 and $1.830 million in 2012. He received a signing bonus of $1.1 million and is scheduled to get another $650,000 bonus for making the 53-man roster. He is due a $250,000 reporting bonus in 2010 and gets workout bonuses of $50,000 each year of the deal. With other incentives the total value of the extension is $7.5 million.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/200...w-contract.html

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The financial numbers of Fred Jackson's contract extension are in. His base salaries over the four years are $500,000 this year, $1.195 million in 2010, $1.625 million in 2011 and $1.830 million in 2012. He received a signing bonus of $1.1 million and is scheduled to get another $650,000 bonus for making the 53-man roster. He is due a $250,000 reporting bonus in 2010 and gets workout bonuses of $50,000 each year of the deal. With other incentives the total value of the extension is $7.5 million.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/200...w-contract.html

We sure got a deal. One of our top ten players and he get compensated very modestly(altho of course I would be jumping for joy if I ever sniffed that much $$)

The Bills screwed him, IMO. And we continue to either underpay or overpay.

A solid back-up RB who worked his ass off, always produced, and is counted on to start three important games, is worth more than 1.9 million, and the going rate seems to be 2.5. The Bills gave Drayton Florence 3.3 mil a year to be a back-up CB.

A solid back-up RB who worked his ass off, always produced, and is counted on to start three important games, is worth more than 1.9 million, and the going rate seems to be 2.5. The Bills gave Drayton Florence 3.3 mil a year to be a back-up CB.

<_< I have been trying my best not to bash the FO the last few weeks, but you nailed it... and you know the kid will not see most of that money...I am glad FJ signed, but I would have told them to stick it. It's a great deal for the Bills.

A little lower than what I thought he would command, but still a fair deal.

I'm with you. I figured somewhere around $2 Mil/year would be a good number. It's a little low, maybe, but not horrible. If Fred's happy, I'm happy.

<_< I have been trying my best not to bash the FO the last few weeks, but you nailed it... and you know the kid will not see most of that money...I am glad FJ signed, but I would have told them to stick it. It's a great deal for the Bills.

OK...here is the point you are missing...the Bills didn't HAVE to do anything. He was an Exclusive Rights FA, meaning he had zero negotiating power at all so long as the Bills offered him a tender, which they did. According to the CBA Rules he either could have signed that contract or not played in the NFL again. If the Bills chose to give him anything more than what they needed to, he should have been pleased, since they didn't have to...

It wouldnt bother me so much if they were not taking money savings and using it to OVERPAY atg positions of severe need like OLB.......

Seriously.......why not offer Pia a just a little bit more........making sure he doesn't go to someone like the patriots when you are being shrewed in other positions with the $$$$

OK...here is the point you are missing...the Bills didn't HAVE to do anything. He was an Exclusive Rights FA, meaning he had zero negotiating power at all so long as the Bills offered him a tender, which they did. According to the CBA Rules he either could have signed that contract or not played in the NFL again. If the Bills chose to give him anything more than what they needed to, he should have been pleased, since they didn't have to...

They didn't have to give Evans 9 mil a year, or Stroud 8 mil a year or Schobel 7 mil a year or Kelsay 6 mil a year or Walker 5 mil a year or Kyle Williams an extension or Brad Butler an extension either. But they did. They could have very likely signed any one of them for one million less per year. They hardly ever seem to get it right, in fact, seemingly overpaying or underpaying.

Or, and I may be mistaken, he could have signed the one year tender, played it out, and become a free agent next season?

Either way, it doesn't send a great message to anyone outside the organization, to give a player who has earned a raise working for you, such a hard time, when you are handing out better contracts to guys who very well could be roster fodder come opening weekend. Guys who haven't done much anywhere. For a team that cries they are so piss poor broke all the time, the Bills choose to spend their money kind of funny sometimes.

Or, and I may be mistaken, he could have signed the one year tender, played it out, and become a free agent next season?

I think the Bills have his rights, basically, for two seasons. Next year he would be the restricted kind where they had to tender him at a first or second or third, etc, and could match any offer or get that draft pick they tendered in return. Just because you have him, doesn't mean you have to take advantage of him.

You say this as if its something to be angry about. The less they spend on this guy, the more they can spend on the next guy. Personally, I'm smiling at the fact that we just got a tremendous player a wee bit below market value...all of us should be. JMO

i highly doubt Fred Jackson is one bit upset about officially being a millionaire. especially after all these years and the road hes traveled. good for him. and good for the bills. they got a RB who seems to be in his prime. the only thing Fred has going against him is his age.

and anyone complaining that the bills overpay for some people and underpay some others...

yeah, no sh--.

every team has 50+ deals to make. there are ALWAYS going to be underpaid and overpaid players on EVERY team, so get over it. the fact that they clearly did not overpay for Jackson is a good thing. Freddie got his. we should all be happy. Both Freddie and the Bills are.

You say this as if its something to be angry about. The less they spend on this guy, the more they can spend on the next guy. Personally, I'm smiling at the fact that we just got a tremendous player below market value...all of us should be. JMO

Yeah, but looked how that turned out when they got Jason Peters below market value. If Jackson continues to perform, or, say out perform the guys in front of him, this contract is going to look pretty weak...and then you have another situation of a guy who wants more money, or wants out. As for the "more money to spend on the next guy" thing, I think KTFBD's point was, the next guy could very well be someone who hasn't done anything, anywhere, to command more money than Jackson has for the Bills. So, great, they have more money to throw at another stiff, castoff, free agent! It's not like the salary cap is really ever an issue for the Bills...and hey, it just went up!

How did Buffalo screw him by paying him almost 4 times as much as he would have received this year. Under the tender offer he would have received 460k. Or by giving him a contract for 4 years that finally gives Freddy J. a home long term. IMO you are nothing but a Bills hater, who gets the whiney biatch star of the day .

Yeah, but looked how that turned out when they got Jason Peters below market value. If Jackson continues to perform, or, say out perform the guys in front of him, this contract is going to look pretty weak...and then you have another situation of a guy who wants more money, or wants out. As for the "more money to spend on the next guy" thing, I think KTFBD's point was, the next guy could very well be someone who hasn't done anything, anywhere, to command more money than Jackson has for the Bills. So, great, they have more money to throw at another stiff, castoff, free agent! It's not like the salary cap is really ever an issue for the Bills...and hey, it just went up!

Big difference between a backup running back who is approaching 30 and a 2-time Pro Bowl LT who is a year or two younger. Not to be callous, but if Jackson decides to hold out in a couple of years it will not have much of an impact on the team. You can argue that the Bills are taking advantage of Jackson, but from a business POV I think they are sitting pretty on this one.

In general, its better for the team to have money, then to not have money. They could wind up spending the extra coin on another Robert Royal or Larry Tripplett, true. Or it could be another Terrell Owens or Marcus Stroud...or re-signing the next Lee Evans (Edwards and McGee come to mind). But regardless of their skill at picking out veterans, the more money they have to work with, the better.

As for the cap, I don't think its been about the salary cap for a long time for Buffalo...its about the physical money. They cry poor because they legit don't have nearly the income bigger markets have, so we should be happy when they save a nickel here or there to go towards the next signing bonus.

And as MRW points out, there's a big difference between Freddy and Jason Peters, age being the biggest. Can you imagine the rest of the league salivating at the idea of Freddy hitting the market so they can give him one of the biggest RB contracts in the league? That was part of the problem with Jason...he knew there were at least a couple of teams out there ready to outbid the Bills and make him a very rich man. But I think that whatever the league is prepared to pay Jackson, the Bills are going to be ready to match it, so I wouldn't be afraid of the idea of him holding out a couple of years down the road.

But even so, I think he'll always be seen as a part-time running back, and combine that with his age, and this contract is close enough to his value that the odds of him holding out don't seem to be very high. It would take quite a bit for the league-wide perception of him to change enough to make a holdout worthwhile for him.