Greg Paulus To Play QB For Syracuse Orangemen

bills44

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biscuit you're still not getting it. Drew played QB at Michigan from 1998 to 2000 left to focus on baseball. He didn't just go from baseball to the NFL. Paulus on the other hand hasn't played QB since HS so he is essentially a Frosh QB with 1 year of elegibility.

What's to lose? Obviously your allegiances are elsewhere and that's coloring your responses, but...what's to lose?

Greg Paulus absolutely dominated at the high school level. I think he goes in there and does well.

That's asking a lot of a guy who hasn't played football in 4 years and basically has 3 months before the season starts to gain 30 pounds and get the rust off. Plus he has to wash 4 years of floor-slapping Duke d-baggery out of his system.

Greg Paulus absolutely dominated at the high school level. I think he goes in there and does well.

He dominated Central New York high school football.

He hasn't played in years. He's scrawny. He's going to the worst team in the Big East, conference that is getting tougher each year.

Yeah, he'll be fine.

paulus was the #1 recruit in basketball and football and he was offered scholarships from miami and notre dame among many others. he chose to be a point guard at duke instead of a quarterback. He has one year of elligibility left to play football and he is going back to his home town to do it. Good for him and good for cuse, its almost like the TO situation, syracuse cant get much worse so they have nothing to lose by signing him. The upside is much larger, GO TO and GO Paulus

What's to lose? Obviously your allegiances are elsewhere and that's coloring your responses, but...what's to lose?

I actually think you and WVU are both right. It's a tough transition and I think it is a longshot that he will become a star QB. He only has one year of eligibility, so there is that to consider, too.

But, it's SU, and it isn't as if they have some stud QB ready to lead them to the BCS championship game, anyway. Why not give the local kid a chance.

It's a good story, and if I were an SU guy, I'd be a little excited...but I wouldn't expect too much, either.

Many of us here in Syracuse were disappointed to see CBA graduate Greg Paulus play college basketball for Duke instead of playing football. Paulus won a New York State Class 'AA' Championship on the very field where he'll be playing in the fall.

We're excited. We want him to play pro for the Buffalo Bills! If anyone can do it, Greg can!!

http://www.cnycentral.com/sports/sports_story.aspx?id=299794

RALEIGH, NC (AP) -- Greg Paulus is returning home to Syracuse to play football.

The former Duke point guard will enroll in graduate school at Syracuse and try to make a comeback in football for the Orange, he said Thursday.

"My gut and my heart were telling me that (Syracuse) was the best place for me," Paulus said from Durham, N.C., during a conference call.

The decision ends a month of speculation whether the one-time star high school quarterback from Syracuse would resume his football career.

I actually think you and WVU are both right. It's a tough transition and I think it is a longshot that he will become a star QB. He only has one year of eligibility, so there is that to consider, too.

But, it's SU, and it isn't as if they have some stud QB ready to lead them to the BCS championship game, anyway. Why not give the local kid a chance.

It's a good story, and if I were an SU guy, I'd be a little excited...but I wouldn't expect too much, either.

I dunno that any Syracuse football fan has anything other than hope for the future (2010+). I'm a fan by proxy cause my wife is a graduate and her expectations are nil for this year. If he is able to play and do decently Cuse reaps the benefits. If there's too much rust or too little talent then it is what it is...a woefully inept program hoping for a brighter future.

My wife mentioned that several players left the team after/during spring ball so if they can pick up a player even for one year, why not?

I dunno that any Syracuse football fan has anything other than hope for the future (2010+). I'm a fan by proxy cause my wife is a graduate and her expectations are nil for this year. If he is able to play and do decently Cuse reaps the benefits. If there's too much rust or too little talent then it is what it is...a woefully inept program hoping for a brighter future.

My wife mentioned that several players left the team after/during spring ball so if they can pick up a player even for one year, why not?

I have to agree. It is really a sad state of affairs for the Orange when it comes to their football program. Greg Robinson has set this program back 5 years imo & with the Big East mid/upper level teams(Uconn, South Florida, Cinci) improving each year there really is no end in sight imo. Although I could not stand him at Duke, I say give Paulus a chance. Can not be any worse then the schmucks we have been rolling out there the last 5 years. This season will be the first time since I graduated that I have no plans to attending a game at the Dome. I am going to Tenn/UCLA in Knoxville Sept 12th. Taking my son. I can not wait.

Are they still disparaging if they are true?

I don't really know if they are true. It's not like Duke did anything of consequence in the NCAAs when Paulus was there. Coach Ratface didn't do him any favors either - he told Paulus that he could not play both sports while at Duke.

• 4 months later...

that was painful....he is forcing them...i think his lack of game time experience shows through and he forces too much and doesn't have the vision needed to force, i still like how the team is playing on both sides of the ball...we are heading in the right direction

Whoohoo go Greg Paulus!!! Just win baby...oh wait...nevermind :lol: