Greg Paulus To Play QB For Syracuse Orangemen

bills44

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How far that once proud program has fallen.

You do realize that Paulus was one of the most recruited QBs in the country when he was a high school senior right? It can't any team to get someone like that, even if it is for a yea.

In 5 years, they'll be competing for a Big East title. Book it.

You do realize that Paulus was one of the most recruited QBs in the country when he was a high school senior right? It can't any team to get someone like that, even if it is for a yea.

In 5 years, they'll be competing for a Big East title. Book it.

With who at quarterback??

So he's going to be the college version of Drew Henson...

I don't get that comparison at all. Paulus is in great shape and has a ton of talent. The jump from high school is a hell of lot easier than jumping from minor league baseball to the NFL.

Drew Henson played QB in college then went to baseball, hit his ceiling then tried to go back to football. Paulus is doing the same thing, just at the collegiate level. Hence the comparison. Ok, he was a highly touted recruit 5 years ago, but not playing football for that long cannot be good for a prospect, especially at a position like QB. A skill position, I could see the transition being easier as many athletes have done that. However, being away from the game for so long is not good for a QB. But hey at least the Cuse can say that got a top tier prospect.....just a few years late

With who at quarterback??

They probably recruit some talented kid in the next 2 years, red shirt them, and they be ready in 2 or 3 years. Having a head coach who just helped Drew Brees almost break the NFL passing record probably will play well in a potential Qb's ears.

Drew Henson played QB in college then went to baseball, hit his ceiling then tried to go back to football. Paulus is doing the same thing, just at the collegiate level. Hence the comparison. Ok, he was a highly touted recruit 5 years ago, but not playing football for that long cannot be good for a prospect, especially at a position like QB. A skill position, I could see the transition being easier as many athletes have done that. However, being away from the game for so long is not good for a QB. But hey at least the Cuse can say that got a top tier prospect.....just a few years late

I guess i shouldn't have said that i didn't get the comparison, I just think it's wrong. henson would have been fine if he went to college football instead of the NFL. People do it all the time (Akili Smith, Weinke, etc.)

Can't hurt to bring him in...if he's good enough, he'll start, if not, he won't. He only has one year of eligibility left, but if Notre Dame offered him a scholarship to be their QB four years ago, you know he's got some talent.

I guess i shouldn't have said that i didn't get the comparison, I just think it's wrong. henson would have been fine if he went to college football instead of the NFL. People do it all the time (Akili Smith, Weinke, etc.)

Biscuit you're still not getting it. Drew played QB at Michigan from 1998 to 2000 left to focus on baseball. He didn't just go from baseball to the NFL. Paulus on the other hand hasn't played QB since HS so he is essentially a Frosh QB with 1 year of elegibility.

Former Duke University point guard Greg Paulus is coming home to Syracuse to play football for his final year of NCAA eligibility. Paulus a graduate of Christian Brothers Academy in Syracuse, announced his decision during a teleconference call from Duke on Thursday morning.

"My heart and my gut told me Syracuse was the best place for me," Paulus said. Paulus, 6-foot-1, 180 pounds, also made official visits to Michigan and Nebraska before making his decision. He worked out for the Green Bay Packers in April, sparking a renewed interest in playing football.

Paulus was named the Gatorade National High School Player of the Year as a high school senior. He threw for 11,763 yards and 152 touchdowns during his career at CBA.

Paulus now has to seek a waiver from the NCAA to play for Syracuse. He is expected to enroll this summer as a graduate student and begin voluntary workouts with the team.

http://www.syracuse.com/today/index.ssf/20...to_play_fo.html

Went to my old high school. He led them to the state championship. But he only gets to play one year of football if allowed by the NCAA.

Biscuit you're still not getting it. Drew played QB at Michigan from 1998 to 2000 left to focus on baseball. He didn't just go from baseball to the NFL. Paulus on the other hand hasn't played QB since HS so he is essentially a Frosh QB with 1 year of elegibility.

I understand and probably shouldn't have used Henson as example. But guys like Weinke, Quincy Carter, & other former minor league baseball players and even some of the BYU QBs on Mormom missions have come back to play college football at a very high level.

If you had to pick, would you rather a a 22 year basketball player from a top 5 school or a 24 year former minor leaguer? If Paulus is as good as people say he was coming out of high school, I think he will be fine and better than anyone that Cuse has.