Ask Tim Graham, version 2.0

Lori

Hey, everybody ... I want to invite you to my new Facebook page. While this was something ESPN constructed for me, I will use this as my personal page.

So drop and say hello. I'm going to try to have the same type of fun there as I do in my chats. We'll talk everything from beers to wing joints to video game to favorite Simpsons episodes to music ... and a lot of football.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?sid=d0...&ref=search

I also have a Twitter account for those who want to see what posts on my blog the moment I hit the publish button:

http://twitter.com/espn_afceast

Sweet!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't step on Tim's thread with personal attacks, like you.

Whatever there sparky :worthy:

I nicked that stat off Simon. I trust Moderators don't go around making sh-t up.

:angry:

Virtually impossible to know because tackles aren't an official stat. Each team records its own tackle numbers, and this is a pet peeve of mine. It shouldn't be that difficult to define a solo tackle and an assist, but the NFL has been unable to do it and leaves it up to each team.

NFL.com does accumulate tackles as they're listed in the stat packet at the end of each game. That's where they get their numbers that people are quoting above, but those stats are obsolete just a couple days after the game when the coaching staff releases its tally.

So for me to know where Schobel ranked at any given time, I would need the media notes from each of the 32 teams for that specific week.

FYI, when I write about a defensive player and list his defensive stats, I use the team figures, not the NFL figures.

This has stunned me... I will forever look at total tackles differently. Do you know of any teams that typically give tackles to players rather generously?

This has stunned me... I will forever look at total tackles differently. Do you know of any teams that typically give tackles to players rather generously?

It happens.

The Bills the year they had a season-long campaign to get Sam Cowart into the Pro Bowl stands out.

Going back a ways, but Jerry Glanville's teams used to have significantly more tackles than defensive plays run.

It happens.

The Bills the year they had a season-long campaign to get Sam Cowart into the Pro Bowl stands out.

Indy's the team I always seem to hear about -- think I read somewhere that one year, they counted an average of 15 more total tackles for each game than the number of plays run by the opposing offense/ST.

Ah, here we go. Good piece by the DMN's Rick Gosselin from last year: NFL should tackle statistical silliness

Turns out, 15 extra tackles was way low.

And I'm starting to regret mentioning the mug ... :worthy:

Virtually impossible to know because tackles aren't an official stat. Each team records its own tackle numbers, and this is a pet peeve of mine. It shouldn't be that difficult to define a solo tackle and an assist, but the NFL has been unable to do it and leaves it up to each team.

NFL.com does accumulate tackles as they're listed in the stat packet at the end of each game. That's where they get their numbers that people are quoting above, but those stats are obsolete just a couple days after the game when the coaching staff releases its tally.

So for me to know where Schobel ranked at any given time, I would need the media notes from each of the 32 teams for that specific week.

FYI, when I write about a defensive player and list his defensive stats, I use the team figures, not the NFL figures.

So what is your conclusion? Was Shobel the best defensive lineman for the first 5 games as the "asshat" above wants to believe? Or his he a libaility in the run game, as I believe based on actually watching games?

Was Shobel the best defensive lineman for the first 5 games as the "asshat" above wants to believe?

Who said he was the best defensive lineman?

Once again, you're just making stuff up since it's the only way you can ever be right about anything. :lol:

Schobel is pretty widely acknowledged to be good against the run. That's the way opinion runs on him. You have the right to disagree, but you'd be on the side with many fewer people.

Schobel himself is very vociferous about it, and has just about called out anyone who disagrees. It was in a Chris Brown interview sometime in the last year or so. Unfortunately, Chris's archive doesn't go very far back.

All of those anonymous phone calls I used to receive when I was covering Joe Mesi couldn't compare to that. I was convinced for a while there I was going to come home one day and find a brick through my front window or my dog dead.

Come on down to Dallas, the BBQ is on me.

Things are not going well. The housing market in Buffalo is hot, with properties getting multiple offers days after they hit the market. With me being so far away, I don't stand a chance. By the time my agent alerts me to something and I would have a chance to take a look at it, it's sold.

That's a great sign for Buffalo, a bad one for me.

You could buy the house next to my sister. She lives on a nice cul de sac in Lancaster...