Looks Like the Bills Found Themselves a Diamond in the Rough

K-9

Yeah, I admit I've been influenced by the articles since the draft. But what encourages me more than anything is that he grew up around the game. The PRO game. Can anyone say "DB version of Larry Fitzgerald?" If he already has a command of angles he won't have too much of a problem making the transition to FS. He's a natural ball hawk. And will be MORE of one given the freedom he'll have at FS; his more natural position. If, and it's a HUGE if, we can generate ANY type of pressure with a pass rush and force QBs to hurry a bit more, he's gonna be a force. I'm talking an ED REED type of force.

There, I said it. It's out there. We make QBs as uncomfortable as the Ravens do with their fronts, then we have the next Ed Reed at FS. Go ahead. Flame away. But it's the offseason, we are tied for 1st in the conference, and I'm tired of all the pee in my cornflakes around here.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I admit I've been influenced by the articles since the draft. But what encourages me more than anything is that he grew up around the game. The PRO game. Can anyone say "DB version of Larry Fitzgerald?" If he already has a command of angles he won't have too much of a problem making the transition to FS. He's a natural ball hawk. And will be MORE of one given the freedom he'll have at FS; his more natural position. If, and it's a HUGE if, we can generate ANY type of pressure with a pass rush and force QBs to hurry a bit more, he's gonna be a force. I'm talking an ED REED type of force.

There, I said it. It's out there. We make QBs as uncomfortable as the Ravens do with their fronts, then we have the next Ed Reed at FS. Go ahead. Flame away. But it's the offseason, we are tied for 1st in the conference, and I'm tired of all the pee in my cornflakes around here.

GO BILLS!!!

I like his ballhawking mentality and confidence about his ability to "bring it" to the pro level. Draft picks are always about potential - i like the upsdie in his game. On the flip side it is amazing how far Ko Simpson's star fell. The same can be said for George Wilson although I believe Wilson makes the roster this year and Simpson does not.

I like his ballhawking mentality and confidence about his ability to "bring it" to the pro level. Draft picks are always about potential - i like the upsdie in his game. On the flip side it is amazing how far Ko Simpson's star fell. The same can be said for George Wilson although I believe Wilson makes the roster this year and Simpson does not.

Ko's a millionaire tho...don't you know who I am?!?!?!

Think about it. Who was LarryFtzgerald before made his name? Not saying Byrd is a star but you can't say he won't be.

PTR

Well... Larry Fitzgerald was a Biletnikoff Award-winning receiver, and was also given the Walter Camp Award as the best overall player in the country in 2003. As well as coming damn close to winning the Heisman and becoming the 3rd Overall pick in the '04 draft. Just sayin'.

You mean Kelsay and G. Wilson?

No, I am saying that the Bills would have been better off drafting E. Brown over D. Byrd with the 42nd pick, and leaving the incumbant starter at the other position. The drafting of Brown would have replaced Kelsay, but G. Wilson would still be a starter at FS. I feel that would have been a better option than drafting Byrd to replace Wilson and leaving Kelsay as a starter.

DL is always more important than DB in my opinion. Clearly DJ disagrees, but he does not have the record to prove his theory works....

PS I miss Jim Leonard

You mean Kelsay and G. Wilson?

Damn, whenever I see those two names together I can't help thinking about that damn Dallas game. Damn. Shoulda won that one.

No, I am saying that the Bills would have been better off drafting E. Brown over D. Byrd with the 42nd pick, and leaving the incumbant starter at the other position. The drafting of Brown would have replaced Kelsay, but G. Wilson would still be a starter at FS. I feel that would have been a better option than drafting Byrd to replace Wilson and leaving Kelsay as a starter.

DL is always more important than DB in my opinion. Clearly DJ disagrees, but he does not have the record to prove his theory works....

PS I miss Jim Leonard

You are under the assumption that Everette Brown would even start. There is a reason Maybin was a top 10 prospect, and Brown slipped to the 2nd round. In fact, Brown's technique is doo-doo, and he relies on his speed to get by tackles (which is no where near as good as Maybin's). Maybin is essentially a much better version of Brown. Brown is short, and has average arm length... while Maybin is tall with very long arms.

Well... Larry Fitzgerald was a Biletnikoff Award-winning receiver, and was also given the Walter Camp Award as the best overall player in the country in 2003. As well as coming damn close to winning the Heisman and becoming the 3rd Overall pick in the '04 draft. Just sayin'.

yeah, but other than that he was a nobody

GO BILLS!!!

About midnight of the MNF game against the Pats, all this blind optimism will be swept away... as long as we run the no huddle all night and show the fans some life, the season will at least be fun..

You are under the assumption that Everette Brown would even start. There is a reason Maybin was a top 10 prospect, and Brown slipped to the 2nd round. In fact, Brown's technique is doo-doo, and he relies on his speed to get by tackles (which is no where near as good as Maybin's). Maybin is essentially a much better version of Brown. Brown is short, and has average arm length... while Maybin is tall with very long arms.

Brown has a wide repertoire of moves that he can and has used to get to the QB. To say he's simply a speed rusher shows a complete lack of knowledge about his abilities.

Brown has a wide repertoire of moves that he can and has used to get to the QB. To say he's simply a speed rusher shows a complete lack of knowledge about his abilities.

Not really. He doesn't use his hands well, and tends to just blow right by tackles because they can't get their hands on him. That's right from a Bills scout's mouth.

Wilson is decent depth but not a starter. If any of the new guys show something, this could be his last year here.

Yeah, I agree. Wilson has taken Coy Wire's old place right in the middle of the "is this the year he's cut? ...because he's not starting material" speculation.

For the record, I really like Coy and George Wilson. But, at the same time, it's a very good sign if other talent can push them off the roster.

I think it makes a lot of sense to start developing Byrd. I'm excited to look for him in the training camp reports and pre-season.

We will see with Byrd, but something tells me a combo of E. Brown and G. Wilson would have been a better combo than Kelsay and Byrd....

That something needs a reality check... Couldn't disagree with you more. Byrd will be competing with McKelvin to be our best DB within 12 to 24 months. Brown is someone who will have to change positions to have an impact and was a good/great player in an inferior, yet still overrated conference.

Think about it. Who was LarryFtzgerald before made his name? Not saying Byrd is a star but you can't say he won't be.

PTR

Uhh, Larry Fitzgerald was the 3rd overall pick.

Byrd was the 42nd overall pick and is switching positions.

I think the guy could be special. Any DB who has better hands than a lot of WR's is worth getting. In fact, I would rather take a DB with the most INTs than a DB with the fastest 40 time. Too often game changing ability is underrated. If Byrd picks 4+ passes he will already be our most dominant DB. And he will already have doubled Whitner's career total.

At the same time, lets not get over excited. Bills fans often think every single one of their picks is going to be a pro-bowler (mainly bc that is our only hope for success since we never are big players in the FA market and we don't make trades), but we should keep things in perspective. I feel like if Nelson doesn't make 50+ catches this season and if Byrd doesn't have 5 INTs, there will be a thousand "Byrd is a bust" "Nelson is a bust" threads (kind of the same thing that happened to Hardy this year).