Round 6, Pick 183: CARY HARRIS, CB, USC

Never can have too many DBs ...

:thumbsup:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/cary-harris?id=80646

Analysis

Positives: Adequate size for the position. ... Instinctive. ... Rarely out of position. ... Good zone defender. Reads the quarterback's eyes and is quick to close. ... Smooth transition and has the agility to mirror receiver's breaks. ... Competes for the jump ball. ... Tough player. ... Aggressive in run support. ... Evades blockers well, but isn't afraid to take them on if it means getting to the ballcarrier. ... Reliable open-field tackler. ... Breaks down in space well and delivers a solid blow.

Negatives: Questionable deep speed. ... Lacks the late burst to recover if beaten initially. ... Seems content making the secure stop rather than going for the interception. ... Some durability concerns. Underwent surgery on a sprained finger in spring 2007. Underwent surgery on both ankles in spring '08.

The first pick I hate. This guy has a history of injuries. The guy pulled a hamstring while running the 40 at the combine for cryin out loud! :thumbsup:

They already drafted a ST guy. I'll be surprised if he replaces Wendling. IMO, this is a totally wasted pick. I understand the best available player thing but at some point need should take a slight edge over best available. I also find it hard to believe that this was the best dude left on the draft board.

NFL.com scouts profile says:

Good zone defender. Reads the quarterback's eyes and is quick to close. (Fits the defense, I guess)

Tough player. ... Aggressive in run support. ... Evades blockers well, but isn't afraid to take them on if it means getting to the ballcarrier. ... Reliable open-field tackler. ... Breaks down in space well and delivers a solid blow. (all good stuff)

BUT

Seems content making the secure stop rather than going for the interception. (So he should fit right in, since this is the one trait just about every Bills corner has shared for about 10 years)

I know you have to draft guys that fit your system but .... It's 50-50 at best that this will still be the system a year from now. If they do not get better, the rebuilding will be all that much harder with all these zone corners/small safeties/small LBs/DEs that can't play the run ... just sayin' ...

I realize its only a 6th round pick, but good grief. The Bills have:

Terrence McGee

Ashton Youboty

Reggie Corner

Leodis McKelvin

Drayton Florence

And now...Cary Harris.

So...who gets cut?

I don't think they cut any of them to be honest. We seem to find an injury somewhere in there (and earlier in the season at that). Harris might be a PS player this year??

It's the 6th round. This pick is probalbly just for depth and special teams. Why get so worked up over it??

or cut completely - he's going to have to earn a roster spot, and it will be an uphill battle judging by the numbers at the CB position now

I know it's the 6th round, but what the hell? We took 3 cb's last year. What's the freakin' point? Why not take a DT or an oline player? Yuck.

The Bills have had very good luck with OL and DL in late rounds in the recent history, stick too it IMO. Where does he fit into the roster though? We have 5 very good CBs already. Maybe playing safety? We already added one of them, so Im not too sure what the plan is, may be this years K.Kox

Who'd they really lose in the secondary?

McKelvin, McGee, Simpson, Corner, Whitner, Wilson, Florence, Fox, Scott, and Wendling are still under contract. Now they added 3 more guys. :thumbsup:

Just absolute insanity. Why not take a chance on a DT? It won't stop either until we get rid of Jauron.

Oh c'mon. Enough with the DBs. Seriously. What the hell. This looks like a ST/Bobby April pick.

Ugh, I hate it. Stupid pick, IMO.

Why? Cary Harris was graded as a 3rd rounder by many scouts, so why not take him in the 6th? The worst thing that could happen is that we waste a late round pick.

I don't think they cut any of them to be honest. We seem to find an injury somewhere in there (and earlier in the season at that). Harris might be a PS player this year??

If he's a practice squad player, then he's going to have to be cut first. They're not a part of the active roster. If he's any good, someone will just sign him off the practice squad and this pick will have been flushed down the toilet.

I don't understand how they feel that was the best value for us right now, I mean I know they want to stay true to their draft board, but at some point you also have to stay true to your roster and who has the best shot at making it and then staying on it.

He is a 3rd round value, so i can see why they took him in the 6th.

So do I. Its not that he wasn't a good value. It's how many DB's do we need going into camp?

We now have:

1. Terrence McGee

2. Leodis McKelvin

3. Ashton Youboty

4. Drayton Florence

5. Reggie Corner

6. Dustin Fox

7. Cary Harris

AT CB

1. Donte Whitner

2. Brian Scott

3. Ko Simpson

4. George Wilson

5. John Wendling

6. Jairus Byrd

At Safety

Then we have two former safeties who are trying to be made into smaller linebackers/Special Teamers in Jon Corto and Nic Harris.

Am I the only one thinking this is excessive? :thumbsup: