Posters analysis of this draft will indicate

You get a lot of debates and whiny chatter on this board and many opinnions, and we are all guilty of it.

However, anyone who can't see the quality of our draft to this point clearly doesnt know football very well. We got some serious football players today, I mean big time gamers. Maybin is still unproven sure, but he is still they pass rusher with the most upside. And with our other DE's being good run stoppers, he fits this team very well.

Doesnt hurt that just about every recap I have seen has named the Bills as the best draft or amongst the best drafts today.

But this draft wont satisfy those people who just want the names they know...

It's bull sh--. Some people just HAVE to be dicks regardless of the outcome.

Yup...they will only be happy if we over pay for some name they know or crap like that...then they will complain the next year that we spent too much money...hahaha...

Maybin at the very least should be an upgrade on obvious passing situations. He can't do any worse than Kelsay as far as getting to the QB is concerned.

Levitre and Woods is a major shift from who we have been drafting. The Bills FO realized that in order to compete in the AFC East, we need tough, mean, talented SOB's in the interior line in the trenches to deal with these massive Nose tackles who have been dominating our line over the past few years. This was a big step in my view of changing the whole scope of things.

Byrd, well, I don't know too much about him, but I like that he has consistantly made plays, that he has very fluid hips, solid tackler and great instincts and ball skills. He could be our starting FS at some point.

I'm pleased

to me we got a situation starter on d in maybin (and that's a good thing, as it means he is playing only to his strength while new), a starter on D in byrd, and 2 starters (maybe not day one, but call it one day one and one later on) on the interior o line.

we got athletic nasty nasty smart nasty hard working nasty guys in the trenches now. dock had sick talent but was a soft fayg, and our previous centers really sucked, so now we have a strong middle of the o line, and perhaps a legit pass rush.

that would have gotten us a few more wins last year.

Guest dog14787
It's bull sh--. Some people just HAVE to be dicks regardless of the outcome.

I think its BS that our FO doesn't understand how important a TE is to the success of an offense and a developing QB.

I forget though, because I didn't like taking the smallish one year wonder boy at DE and using the other three picks on a CB and two more unproven fat boys for the O-line our FO just decimated, I don't know football.

Gotcha :thumbsup:

to me we got a situation starter on d in maybin (and that's a good thing, as it means he is playing only to his strength while new), a starter on D in byrd, and 2 starters (maybe not day one, but call it one day one and one later on) on the interior o line.

we got athletic nasty nasty smart nasty hard working nasty guys in the trenches now. dock had sick talent but was a soft fayg, and our previous centers really sucked, so now we have a strong middle of the o line, and perhaps a legit pass rush.

that would have gotten us a few more wins last year.

orakpo is too wwf looking...those guys are rarely successful in the NFL

You get a lot of debates and whiny chatter on this board and many opinnions, and we are all guilty of it.

However, anyone who can't see the quality of our draft to this point clearly doesnt know football very well. We got some serious football players today, I mean big time gamers. Maybin is still unproven sure, but he is still they pass rusher with the most upside. And with our other DE's being good run stoppers, he fits this team very well.

Doesnt hurt that just about every recap I have seen has named the Bills as the best draft or amongst the best drafts today.

I'm psyched about this draft, but the fact is none of us know how the careers of any of these players will go. To say someone doesn't know about football because their opinion differs from yours on an issue that has no factual basis either way, seems a bit arrogant.

B.S. You can't evaluate this draft objectively for a couple years. Any opinions now are meaningless, even those from the front office themselves. That doesn't mean you can't be excited about who was picked, but you can't begin to grade this draft.

I think its BS that our FO doesn't understand how important a TE is to the success of an offense and a developing QB.

I forget though, because I didn't like taking the smallish one year wonder boy at DE and using the other three picks on a CB and two more unproven fat boys for the O-line our FO just decimated, I don't know football.

Gotcha :thumbsup:

I said all off season that they are pretty high on Fine, so do you think its possible that they think more of Fine than you do?

James Hastey picked the Bills as LOSERS in Winners & Losers in this Draft. :thumbsup: Someone else picked Miami as Winners.....................Just goes to show you there are idiots EVERYWHERE, not just on this board.

I'm not completely sold on Maybin, but in all fairness I haven't seen him play all that much. I do like the potential as a 3rd down pass rusher, if he's an impact there it'd be a big help (tons of times 3rd and long the Bills gave up a 1st).

Also, I love the strategy overall. Got 4 very good players and all are going to fill holes. I wasn't sold on the CB pick but hearing them talk about what a ball hawk he is and that he's gonna play safety actually made me very happy. Nice job Bills FO.

James Hastey picked the Bills as LOSERS in Winners & Losers in this Draft. :thumbsup: Someone else picked Miami as Winners.....................Just goes to show you there are idiots EVERYWHERE, not just on this board.

LMAO...what a dumb ass James is...maybe him and Emmitt should get together...

I personally hate the Maybin pick. I didn't want that guy going in. I think he'll be manhandled in the NFL and I don't think he'll be anywhere near as productive as a pass rusher. However, he's now a Bill and I hope I'm wrong as can be. I have no problem with the other players taken today. Although I did cringe a bit when yet another DB was taken with a high draft pick. But the guy seems like a solid player.

Guest dog14787
What? You say our o-line was decimated, but don't like that we took 2 o-lineman? WTF?

I'm pissed that for one, we had to take them and two, where we picked them, WTF is so hard to understand about that?

Guest dog14787
At what point did we NOT have to take interior linemen?? 1992?

Jason Peters was an undrafted free agent, what makes you think we had to use our higher picks to get linemen? or make trades that cost us a chance at a TE in the 3rd

I'm not completely sold on Maybin, but in all fairness I haven't seen him play all that much. I do like the potential as a 3rd down pass rusher, if he's an impact there it'd be a big help (tons of times 3rd and long the Bills gave up a 1st).

Also, I love the strategy overall. Got 4 very good players and all are going to fill holes. I wasn't sold on the CB pick but hearing them talk about what a ball hawk he is and that he's gonna play safety actually made me very happy. Nice job Bills FO.

Blue...what was your feeling on Orakpo? Didn't see him play besides the UT/Tech and UT/OU games and I honestly didn't even know who he was to be watching him anyway...

:thumbsup:

Jason Peters was an undrafted free agent, what makes you think we had to use our higher picks to get linemen? or make trades that cost us a chance at a TE in the 3rd

Let me see if I have you straight...you are pissed because we could have gotten good OL in the late rounds (or undrafted) BUT you think we NEEDED a 3rd Rd TE?

Let me get this straight. It's OK to not pick linemen, because we can get them as undrafted free agents. However, it is vital that we take a TE in the 3rd, instead of say, the 4th or 5th. Not following.

For your Jason Peters, I raise you Antonio Gates.

Guest dog14787
Let me get this straight. It's OK to not pick linemen, because we can get them as undrafted free agents. However, it is vital that we take a TE in the 3rd, instead of say, the 4th or 5th. Not following.

what? how about someone who played football in college, the guy played college basketball.

late 90s on D....fat ted and fat pat and old bruce ...pfg line there

i cant remember the bills o line well from then---but it was better than the 08 version by a mile.

you guys do realize that in using Jason Peters in his example, he was actually using a TIGHT END as an example, since thats what Jason was when he went undrafted. im pretty sure that manages to negate his own point. but im not paying it that much attention.

there is no logic or reasoning here. simply someone who is butthurt that the Bills didnt manage to pick exactly like he wanted them to.

you guys do realize that in using Jason Peters in his example, he was actually using a TIGHT END as an example, since thats what Jason was when he went undrafted. im pretty sure that manages to negate his own point. but im not paying it that much attention.

there is no logic or reasoning here. simply someone who is butthurt that the Bills didnt manage to pick exactly like he wanted them to.

Hilarious...

I'm psyched about this draft, but the fact is none of us know how the careers of any of these players will go. To say someone doesn't know about football because their opinion differs from yours on an issue that has no factual basis either way, seems a bit arrogant.

lol not sure how i missed that

OK. Now that I've had a chance to check video, take everything in, and think about things I like what we did overall for certain. The OL upgrade is obvious, was needed, and I'm almost positive we did the right thing with the players we drafted.

I'm still not sold on Maybin, but I think he could end up being a great player. Hopefully he works on his overall strength so he can be on the field most of the time. Hopefully he transitions into an every down DE. He is certain to be an upgrade over Kelsay, Denney, and Johnson when it comes to getting pressure on the QB. His quickness is outstanding, but that's all he has at this point. If he developes the strength needed to play every down, while keeping his quickness, he could get 15 sacks a season.

I like Eric Wood alot. The guy is durable, plays with a serious mean streak, and finishes every block. The guy brings syrup on the field with him because he pancakes everyone in his path. He will be our long term answer at C eventually I believe, but LG for now.

Andy Levitre I don't really know too much about. I heard his name and the Bills mentioned heading into the draft. I heard the Bills were very high on him and had alot of contact with him recently. I thought he would end up being our 2nd round pick, just not the one we traded up for. He seems like a safe bet to be a good OG in this league for a long time. I've heard some projections about him playing OT though. Maybe, maybe not. I know he's a versitile player that plays tough.

Then there's Jairus Byrd. I was HOT when I heard this pick, as many of us all were. I've had a chance to watch some video and read some reports on the guy now. Checking into this pick I started to see why they drafted him. He makes plays on the ball. He has excellent feet and change of direction skill with soft hands to make interceptions almost every opportunity he's given. He's not too fast, but makes up for it with good acceleration, change of direction ability, and instincts. He seems to be in the right place almost every time. He also isn't afraid to put his head down and lay into a RB. He also is projected as being able to play FS. Bye-Bye Ko Simpson and George Wilson, hello Jairus Byrd.

Hopefully we can get a quality TE, LB, and DT in day 2. I still think the trade may have messed us up as far as being able to cover all of the positions. But like other people have already stated before me, this is probably one of the best drafts the Bills have had in a long time. In a LONG time.

Guest dog14787
Shannon Sharpe...7th Rd, 1990.

Good linemen are hard to come by, but the more skilled the position is, the higher you have to draft for that position to expect greater success in my opinion. In other words I would expect to see pro bowl Tight ends to normally have been drafted in the higher rounds, not always, but normally. On the other hand, I'll bet allot of offensive linemen that make the pro bowl in their career are drafted lower on an average then many of the other more skilled positions if you average them all out.

Guest dog14787
I'm worried about our first pick -- the guy looked tiny and reminded me a lot of Corey Moore. Hope I'm wrong...

I'm also worried about his size :thumbsup:

My bro swears by him though and he follows the college players better then I do.

people who are actually upset about this draft obviously forget that there are 31 other teams picking players too.

it is clear that the CB pick makes one of our NFL calibre guys, corner, youboty, someone, unretainable. That player will end up somewhere else. So we strengthen another team while not really improving our team with this pick. On the other hand we had room for Brown, we can cut a guy that is NOT nfl calibre.

Terrible terrible move, terrible terrible draft not for who we picked, but for what could have been.

It would really bother me a lot more, though, but it is only football. Dick is a Dick, for sure, but not a real world criminal or scourge like Osama or Dick Cheney.

Maybin put on 24lbs of muscle from the end of the season to his Pro Day workout going from 230 to 254. He went from running a 4.84 40 time at the combine to a 4.59 at the Pro Day. He also had a 40.5 inch vertical and a 10-10 broad jump, tests which both show a player's explosion. He also had the second best 10 yard split time at the combine which shows explosiveness as well. If he gets his playing strength up we could have one heck of a player on our hands.

edit: sorry had breakdown there in my math for a second and realized it. I also had Maybin's wrong final weight posted(read where he finished the season at about 230lbs.).

Maybin put on 29lbs of muscle from the end of the season to his Pro Day workout going from 235 to 254. He went from running a 4.84 40 time at the combine to a 4.59 at the Pro Day.

So you're saying he's going to be suspended for steroid use....? :thumbsup:

Maybin is unproven.... exactly why the Bills should of used more caution before drafting him. Take a sure thing in orakpo over Maybin.

Year in and year out the team rated with the best draft is not the team that ends up with the best players. We got that grade because we had 4 picks in the first 2 rounds, no other reeaosn.

Guest dog14787
Maybin put on 29lbs of muscle from the end of the season to his Pro Day workout going from 235 to 254. He went from running a 4.84 40 time at the combine to a 4.59 at the Pro Day. He also had a 40.5 inch vertical and a 10-10 broad jump, tests which both show a player's explosion. He also had the second best 10 yard split time at the combine which shows explosiveness as well. If he gets his playing strength up we could have one heck of a player on our hands.

I really hope Maybin and the rest of the draft pics turns out OK because regardless of how discouraged I am right now I do care about our team. I just want a Tight End we can count on so Trent Edwards has all the proper weapons he needs to succeed, especially going up against teams like the Patriots twice a year.

It doesn't seem like to much to ask.

Chase Coffman would really cheer me up.

Guest dog14787
So you're saying he's going to be suspended for steroid use....? :thumbsup:

:rolleyes: you got a laugh out of me, maybin its not so bad after all.