Round 1, Pick 11: AARON MAYBIN, DE, Penn State

Very funny Mr. Flowers :)

What really drives me crazy is how the Bills scouts and coaches did not even see that this could of been the story with his sudden weight gain. Anyone with exp knows that if you gain 25lbs in 2 months of pure muscle something fishy is going on. To add to that as soon as you stop juicing you lose almost all that weight. I truly believe he did it to get a payday.

Horrible the Bills (DJ) fell for this.

Another example is Brian Cushing. There was evidence that he juiced throughout high school and college and no one cared. Texans draft him and he has a great season. Next off season he gets caught for a masking agent HCG (hormone only found in pregnant woman) and has not been able to stay on the field with nagging injuries.

The signs were there. Dickie J was desperate to save his job and ignored the warning signs in the hope of hitting a home run. The front office was a hopeless, headless mess at that point. Notice that every one of them are now gone. You can bet Nix would never have allowed that pick if he had any say.

Why should you have done homework on something you can't influence anyways?

I didn't do my homework on that draft. The Bills chose without my input and Aaron Maybin stunk regardless of any pre-conceived notion I had of him.

So true.

I didn't do my homework on that draft. The Bills chose without my input and Aaron Maybin stunk regardless of any pre-conceived notion I had of him.

Obviously Scott we need to to our homework to support our opinions and delusions. :rolleyes:

I read John's posts all the time and agree quite a bit with his observations, this was just one swing and a miss. I thought Nelson was going to be a stud receiver at TE, and that Easley was going to light up the field at WR. Let's see how those predictions go for me...the jury is still out on Easley whether he can stay healthy and the same for Nelson.

Do any of our opinions have any impact on what the powers that be at OBD actually do - probably not on draft day, but we are the fans that buy the tickets and the Bills gear so I imagine collective griping makes it's way to them in some form or another. We have seen that various sports columnist troll this site to gather opinions that make it to the press and those opinions are reflected in comments by coaches and player twitter posts.

In this new age of information sharing a butterfly flaps its wings and the stock prices for French banks tumble.

Edited by ColdBlueNorth

The signs were there. Dickie J was desperate to save his job and ignored the warning signs in the hope of hitting a home run. The front office was a hopeless, headless mess at that point. Notice that every one of them are now gone. You can bet Nix would never have allowed that pick if he had any say.

Funny thing is, Dick J would have been a lot better drafting Orakpo, who many considered the best rush LB in the draft. Of course, Dick was too smart to fall for what the hoi palloi thought.

If you take a look at this article below it could of been possible that Maybin juiced before the combine to gain that extra 25lbs of muscle to improve his draft position. Its nearly impossible to gain 25lbs of our muscle without a little help. I have been weightlifting for over 17 years so I am not talking out of my #$%@.

I still can't believe our scouting department could not see that this was possible at the time and drafted him anyway.

http://blog.pennlive.com/pasports/2009/03/aaron_maybins_physical_transfo.html

should have stayed on them. His regimen of Martial arts, yoga and swimming ( :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash::doh: :doh: :doh: ) did him no favors and shows that he wouldn't do what he was told to gain weight. He should have lived in a power rack and ate at a steak and potatoes buffet. Maybe he can be a safety but doubt he has the instincts to do that, so looks like that modeling career is set to go.

Can you say HGH !!! I don't think he ever really wanted to be a Bill i wish him luck & i think it should be a rule that who ever the coach was that drafted him should be made to pick him up & pay him out of his salary for 2 years seeing as Jauron screwed the Bills so bad & got 2 pay checks for 2 to 3 years after he screwed up so bad !!

HGH doesn't build muscle; it burns fat, heals connective tissue and makes us grow taller when we are young. I think all players should take it to heal injuries.

I was never a fan of the pick but I was rooting like crazy for him. However, I highly doubt the fans who said Maybin would be a good player would have bumped this thread if he had succeed. I have no problems with different opinions. But it's pathetic to me that people would rather be right on a message board than see the Bills succeed.

Maybin, McCargo & even Whitner were prime examples of reaching to fill a need rather than drafting for NFL talent.

I do believe that the Bills had a big need for a new Safety when DJ came into town and made us a Tampa-2 team. Obviously we've needed good DLinemen for quite a while. By drafting for a position means we missed out on so many higher quality players and it's a little sickening. I liked the IDEA of drafting a pass rusher, I think we were all in favor of that. It was just the guy they chose.

I think that it was made even worse by their higher opinion of smaller quicker guys. Whitner had a fine size for a safety, but Maybin & McCargo were smaller. Their speed edge negated by the higher quality of competition at the pro level. Both of them also had GIANT red flags that should have warned about drafting them as high as they ended up being drafted. Third best DL on a non-dominant college team? One year wonder whose sacks came only against weaker competition? Sigh.

Unfortunately it was not just the first round picks that trended towards smaller "faster" guys and our defense has suffered accordingly.

So far, I'm much happier with Nix's drafts. I'm often surprised a little by the direction he chooses, but I really feel that he's much more consistent with going for the best player available (even if it's not always who WE feel is the BPA). We're also so much bigger in player size. I'm always a little suprised watching Merriman getting interviewed at how big and thick he looks. Reminds me of Takeo from many years ago. It's such a far cry from our undersized LB corp of recent days (maybin, Ellison, digorgio, Wire, etc.)

May his strategy pay off better than what gave us Mr. Maybin.

I was never a fan of the pick but I was rooting like crazy for him. However, I highly doubt the fans who said Maybin would be a good player would have bumped this thread if he had succeed. I have no problems with different opinions. But it's pathetic to me that people would rather be right on a message board than see the Bills succeed.

Oh come on. The problem is that your "theory" can't even be disproven, because in the last ten years it hasn't happened... (unless you want to dig up the "Kyle Williams - Round 5" thread).

Funny thing is, Dick J would have been a lot better drafting Orakpo, who many considered the best rush LB in the draft. Of course, Dick was too smart to fall for what the hoi palloi thought.

Let's say that Dick actually had drafted Orakpo, would he still be the head coach today?

If you take a look at this article below it could of been possible that Maybin juiced before the combine to gain that extra 25lbs of muscle to improve his draft position. Its nearly impossible to gain 25lbs of our muscle without a little help. I have been weightlifting for over 17 years so I am not talking out of my #$%@.

I still can't believe our scouting department could not see that this was possible at the time and drafted him anyway.

http://blog.pennlive.com/pasports/2009/03/aaron_maybins_physical_transfo.html

Silvercrw I mentioned this in another thread as a side note. In hindisght it seems pretty obvious to me that the kid was a 3/4 year wonder, got on the stuff once he was being talked about as a high draft prospect, added 25 lbs of muscle in a couple months and made his big pay day. Once he got off the stuff he dropped right back down to his college weight and started sucking.

It shows little integrity and character but the bum bilked the Bills out of millions where he should have likely ended up a later round pick.

Edited by PDaDdy

let it go, on to MUCH bigger and better things!!! who cares about one of the last weak links tied to our former GM/Consensus decision making unit.

Merriman for nothing and your chicks for free!

LETS GO BUFFALO!!!

Oh come on. The problem is that your "theory" can't even be disproven, because in the last ten years it hasn't happened... (unless you want to dig up the "Kyle Williams - Round 5" thread).

It's the truth. I think I have a very good knowledge of the game and played it through college. But I freely admit I'm a homer. I want the Bills to succeed more than anything. But I truly believe there a bunch of miserable richards who would rather be right on a message board than be wrong.

I mentioned this in another thread as a side note. In hindisght it seems pretty obvious to me that the kid was a 3/4 year wonder, got on the stuff once he was being talked about as a high draft prospect, added 25 lbs of muscle in a couple months and made his big pay day. Once he got off the stuff he dropped right back down to his college weight and started sucking.

Correction. He still sucked even at 252.

It would explain the inability to gain weight, as he couldn't without assistance.

Goes to show steroids are a wonderful thing in a way...it really opens doors to reach beyond your physical potential.

It's alarming that Bills physicians and trainers didn't see this, or perhaps they did and were overruled. We won't ever know.

Orakpo was no solid can't miss choice back then either. We had Mike Williams fatigue, and University of Texas players had a history of under-performing in the NFL. Plus, if I recall correctly, he was a tweener, some thought he was a DE, others thought he was an OLB.

Point being that he was just as much a crapshoot as Maybin was in that draft, just for different reasons.

You missed the entire point.

The collective response was due to the drafting of Donte Whitner specifically. Bill's response was due to the drafting of a DB - regardless of who that player was. Big difference.

There is some truth in this because I watched our favorite football team lose continuously because of this type of stupidity. But in the case of Whitner, I was particularly upset because he was small. I remember posting a question if he could get on all of the rides at Disneyland right after he was picked.

Let's say that Dick actually had drafted Orakpo, would he still be the head coach today?

Definitively not, but at least there would have been some food in the cupboard when he left. I think Orakpo would have started slowly but really come into his own last year when we switched to the 3-4. This upcoming season would have been his 12sack, pro-bowl season.

And when I mean "started slowly," his rookie season would have consisted of 16 games played and around 5 sacks.

Scott, this is what people do here, and imo a big part of what makes it a great place to go. The Bills haven't brought in a star free agent since TKO, so the draft is a place where all of us get our hopes up, but you already know this.

This site is WAY ahead of the curve in terms of knowing the problems facing this team. Think about it, when was the last time you saw a link (like the one today to the NY Times) and actually learned something about the Buffalo Bills? What did they say? That we needed offensive tackles? Gee thanks.

Posters on this site go out of their way to share their knowledge about the draft, and I appreciate this. I can name several posters (myself NOT included) that have more than enough football knowledge to be employed by the Bills, and I have tailgated with many of them.

Thanks for providing this forum to people who are fanatical enough about the Bills to do their "homework" and share their views.

Scott, this is what people do here, and imo a big part of what makes it a great place to go.

Look up the definition of "should" and get back to me...

OTOH, if John wanted to do that in his free time, as a matter of choice - then that is a different discussion.