Round 1, Pick 11: AARON MAYBIN, DE, Penn State

Yah, big shock that the Big Cat approved of the pick...

I've come to believe that Big Cat is a front office stoolie. No one can be stupid enough to really believe what he does about the moves the Bills make.

I mean, the guy used to write glowing diatribes about how wonderful a coach Dickless Jauron was...

And I'm glad to see he's one of the few loving the Evans trade. That gives that move the stamp of stupidity.

Its crazy to think about the amount of kids in high school and college who use steroids to get to the next level. Cheating will always be cheating and remember that in the end cheaters never win. Either they shrink to be the person there suppose to really be or get fluke injuries that keep them from being healthy.

I just think in the future not just the Bills but all NFL teams do there research and don't draft kids with that type of a history. Trust me everything can be found out about a person if you do the right kind of research. I went to High School in NJ and I along with others could of told you back then that Cushing was on Steroids.

They should of looked at the signs of Maybin and did there homework like they should have. As a result they wasted a ton of developmental time on a project that will never pan out and 15+ million dollars. Get smarter!

Edited by Silvercrw

The signs were there. Dickie J was desperate to save his job and ignored the warning signs in the hope of hitting a home run. The front office was a hopeless, headless mess at that point. Notice that every one of them are now gone. You can bet Nix would never have allowed that pick if he had any say.

You mean as "National Scout"?

Anyway, it was pretty obvious back then that he was juiced before the combine.

Edited by Mr. WEO

You mean as "National Scout"?

Anyway, it was pretty obvious back then that he was juiced before the combine.

Right. Are you suggesting that as National Scout he had the power to "Nix" that choice?

Maybin is everything Nix abhors in a pick - small, weak, dumb, no body of work.

Maybin couldn't show us the baby - he wasn't even pregnant.

Edited by Erik Flowers

Hey, boss, why you using semantics to beat up on poor Bill ? (I just felt the need to come to his defense)

vitriol? beat up? :rolleyes:

It's not semantics - it is what I meant. It is the reason I bolded and italicized "should" in my response to John.

It would explain the inability to gain weight, as he couldn't without assistance.

Goes to show steroids are a wonderful thing in a way...it really opens doors to reach beyond your physical potential.

It's alarming that Bills physicians and trainers didn't see this, or perhaps they did and were overruled. We won't ever know.

Orakpo was no solid can't miss choice back then either. We had Mike Williams fatigue, and University of Texas players had a history of under-performing in the NFL. Plus, if I recall correctly, he was a tweener, some thought he was a DE, others thought he was an OLB.

Point being that he was just as much a crapshoot as Maybin was in that draft, just for different reasons.

Orakpo or O-sackpo was as much of a sure thing as it comes. I argued against the anti Univeristy of Texas guys because the argument is ridiculous. You draft a player not their college. Buffalo screwed the pooch the worst they ever have on that one.

I kid you not when I literally threw **** when I heard the name Maybin not Orakpo. I tried to give the guy a chance. I tried to believe in the organization having seen something in workouts or film that I hadn't. That belief was misplaced.

What was interesting to me is that Nix said not only was Maybin too small to play the position, but he also wasn't strong enough. That comment jumped out immediately to me, anyone know his combine 225 reps? and where he stacked? It just blows my mind that our former regime thought so highly of this guy for speed alone...

Is there a window between the end of college football and the combine where players don't get tested? If they aren't tested at the combine then the system sucks and the NFL deserves this type of thing.

I'm not a consipiracy type guy AT ALL, but its obvious that Maybin can't gain enough weight to play in the NFL which leads me to believe this is a serious possibility.

If I were Ralph and I thought this were true, I'd refuse to pay him the rest of his guaranteed salary and sue him for misrepresentation and fraud. Even though I'd probably lose in court, Maybin would lose a boatload in lawyers fees and he'd be forced to offer a reasonable explanation for this.

Lastly, I agree with an earlier poster that it's time to let this loser become forgotten and focus on the fun team we have now. Enough Maybin talk for me forever.

What was interesting to me is that Nix said not only was Maybin too small to play the position, but he also wasn't strong enough. That comment jumped out immediately to me, anyone know his combine 225 reps? and where he stacked? It just blows my mind that our former regime thought so highly of this guy for speed alone...

I believe the number was 22 at the combine when he was (suspected of being) on steroids. Not a very good number for a linebacker. And off the juice, you would expect that number to be significantly lower.

Edited by Erik Flowers

Orakpo or O-sackpo was as much of a sure thing as it comes. I argued against the anti Univeristy of Texas guys because the argument is ridiculous. You draft a player not their college. Buffalo screwed the pooch the worst they ever have on that one.

I kid you not when I literally threw **** when I heard the name Maybin not Orakpo. I tried to give the guy a chance. I tried to believe in the organization having seen something in workouts or film that I hadn't. That belief was misplaced.

Leaving aside the question of whom the Bills should have drafted, the bolded section here intrigues me. Were you just sitting around with a handful of **** while watching the draft? Stocking up for future punchbowls or something?

Silvercrw I mentioned this in another thread as a side note. In hindisght it seems pretty obvious to me that the kid was a 3/4 year wonder, got on the stuff once he was being talked about as a high draft prospect, added 25 lbs of muscle in a couple months and made his big pay day. Once he got off the stuff he dropped right back down to his college weight and started sucking.

It shows little integrity and character but the bum bilked the Bills out of millions where he should have likely ended up a later round pick.

Agree with you and Silver completely, PDaD. However, the Bills STILL should have known better. They should have had capable people/scouts in place to notice...apparently they didn't.

should have stayed on them. His regimen of Martial arts, yoga and swimming ( :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash::doh: :doh: :doh: ) did him no favors and shows that he wouldn't do what he was told to gain weight. He should have lived in a power rack and ate at a steak and potatoes buffet. Maybe he can be a safety but doubt he has the instincts to do that, so looks like that modeling career is set to go.

HGH doesn't build muscle; it burns fat, heals connective tissue and makes us grow taller when we are young. I think all players should take it to heal injuries.

They have been. Keep in mind however that GH and test when combined lead to the athlete keeping about 80% of the mass and strength gains. They have a dramatic synergistic effect that is mostly long term.

Right. Are you suggesting that as National Scout he had the power to "Nix" that choice?

Maybin is everything Nix abhors in a pick - small, weak, dumb, no body of work.

Maybin couldn't show us the baby - he wasn't even pregnant.

Just saying that the head of the scouting department probably had some say in who the first round draft pick is going to be. If he hated the pick and figured Maybin was juiced at the combine, no doubt he would have said so in no uncertain terms. If his opinion carried any weight (I mean he did just draft all those Pro Bowlers in SD, right?), they wouldn't have made that pick.

Since I cannot believe they would ignore the loud objections of a guy who had such success at picking talent in SD (where he was Asst GM), it is my opinion that he was at least somewhat complicit in the pick.