Don't trade Parrish!!

Why would you trade somebody who elicits fear in every special teams coach in the league (except April)? He's an awesome player, and it ain't his fault they can't find him. Having TO and Evans and the new tight end, this will enable Parrish to get open and tear things up. He's a weapon.

You can't replace him with a 5th round pick.

Maybe it's a salary thing...who knows? I'd keep him. He's fantastic.

And I apologize if somebody has already made this. I don't have time to read every post that shows up in here.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Roscoe as a punt returner for sure but I don't think he is really an offensive weapon at all in our scheme now that we have TO. I think the issue is not trying to replace him with a 5th round pick (because we don't really need to replace him) I think the issue is freeing up some salary room. I believe he is set to make a little more tha $3 million for each of his next three seasons in base salary (not sure about bonuses).

We need to keep 8 WR's, just to play it safe. Let's pay them all $3 M + a year as well, that way they are happy when they do nothing a majority of the time.

P.S. Sit that McKelvin down too, he couldn't do anything right in college.

Rather that re-type everything I have posted on the subject, I will just say that it would be stupid to trade him -- especially for the compensation that has been talked about.

plus, where's the rationale for trading him with TO being here for 1 year. a temporarily crowded wr corps shouldn't make you trade a player for a 4/5th round pick. im just hoping that these rumors turn out to be only rumors unless he's packaged for another player.

We need to keep 8 WR's, just to play it safe. Let's pay them all $3 M + a year as well, that way they are happy when they do nothing a majority of the time.

P.S. Sit that McKelvin down too, he couldn't do anything right in college.

I actually have to agree with Skooby on this one. The reason Parrish is on the block is that they have no use for him other than maybe 3-6 plays a game returning a punt. Lets say the Bills can average forcing 4 punts a game, thats 64 plays a year, less the 3-5 games he misses due to the yearly hangnail injury, now he is down to 48 plays for the season. If my NYS education is correct, that works out to roughly $62,500/play.

I am pretty sure the Bills already have someone on their roster (FJ, LM, TM, JJ) that can return punts and actually contribute in other areas too. Parrish would be the #6 receiver at best on this team right now and is a commodity (as strictly a punt returner) that the Bills can't afford the roster spot for.

I actually have to agree with Skooby on this one. The reason Parrish is on the block is that they have no use for him other than maybe 3-6 plays a game returning a punt. Lets say the Bills can average forcing 4 punts a game, thats 64 plays a year, less the 3-5 games he misses due to the yearly hangnail injury, now he is down to 48 plays for the season. If my NYS education is correct, that works out to roughly $62,500/play.

I am pretty sure the Bills already have someone on their roster (FJ, LM, TM, JJ) that can return punts and actually contribute in other areas too. Parrish would be the #6 receiver at best on this team right now and is a commodity (as strictly a punt returner) that the Bills can't afford the roster spot for.

That seems so. Everybody acknowledges his return skills, but as you and others say, he's not pencilled in for much of a part in the pass offense.

It's really a bit of an indictment of the team, that the offense and defense are so weak to be so dependent on the usual favorable field positions that the STs afford them. A previous poster opined that the Bills could have been 4 -12 instead of 7 -9 save for that.

Why would you trade somebody who elicits fear in every special teams coach in the league (except April)? He's an awesome player, and it ain't his fault they can't find him. Having TO and Evans and the new tight end, this will enable Parrish to get open and tear things up. He's a weapon.

You can't replace him with a 5th round pick.

Maybe it's a salary thing...who knows? I'd keep him. He's fantastic.

And I apologize if somebody has already made this. I don't have time to read every post that shows up in here.

I agree completely. A 5th rounder for Parrish would be a steal for some team. The Bills would be fleeced again!

How Not To Build A Team by Russ Brandon

coming soon to a bookstore near you!

One thing that I've never heard anyone mention throughout all this is that Parrish is actually a pretty tough receiver and has great hands. I think he was accused of dropping a TD last year (which was hotly contested on here), but other than that, I've never seen him drop a pass and I think it was in '06? I can remember him making some tough catches over the middle, taking some big hits and bouncing right back up. I guarantee you this- once he is in a functional offense, he COULD be a very effective slot receiver. Why haven't the Bills been able to get him the ball in space the last several years? They try one reverse with him a couple years ago vs. Jacksonville and nobody even touches his jersey. God forbid they try that again.

One thing that I've never heard anyone mention throughout all this is that Parrish is actually a pretty tough receiver and has great hands. I think he was accused of dropping a TD last year (which was hotly contested on here), but other than that, I've never seen him drop a pass and I think it was in '06? I can remember him making some tough catches over the middle, taking some big hits and bouncing right back up. I guarantee you this- once he is in a functional offense, he COULD be a very effective slot receiver. Why haven't the Bills been able to get him the ball in space the last several years? They try one reverse with him a couple years ago vs. Jacksonville and nobody even touches his jersey. God forbid they try that again.

I disagree about his hands, he has had his fair share of drops in recent years. However, I think our brain challenged offensive minds have vastly underutilized his abilities. Last year I dont recall many screens, flare outs, revereses, end arounds etc with Roscoe. 2 years ago he took that flare pass against the Jets 50 yards for a TD, he had another great TD on a screen pass called back on a penalty, along with a few other solid plays showcasing his ability.

At this point, how does Roscoe come back after we dangled his name out for trade offers? He is probably done with B'Lo now too, and b/c our insufficient front office thought we could get more for him, we'll probably end up with a 5th rounder that will be sure not to produce - based on our recent draft success with this same front office.

yes i'm bitter. not quite sure how losing 4 out of 5 of our O Line starters (including Langston since he's moving to LT), Greer, Crowell, - maybe Roscoe - and not paying Freddie, all to sign TO, backup G for Carolina, Drayton Florence, Rhodes, and Fitzpatrick is making this offseason a success.

yes its still early, but it sure doesnt look good.

I think we're missing the issue. We are loaded at WR, so what roster spot could Roscoe take if it is not one of the WR slots? For this reason, I believe the Bills are thinking of dealing him. I just hope it is to a crappy NFC team. I don't want to help Pittsburgh with anything. I'd also prefer a warm body in return as opposed to a Draft Choice (unless the choice is packaged with (let's say Kelsay) to go to Jacksonville for Henderson).

If you believe Roscoe is such a proven player he would win the 3rd WR spot outright. The fact is that he is our 5th, or 6th receiver. He cant get off the line of scrimmage and he weights 170 dripping well with weights in his shoes. He is a GREAT return guy. No doubt about it. But he is also a luxury that this Bills team cannot afford to have at this point. He is making a massive amount of money for the amount of times that he touches the ball. And if im not mistaken we also have Jackson, McGee, and McKelvin to return punts and KO's. Ok so if one of them gets injured you plug someone else in. How long do we have to sacrifice skill positions for these "High Motor" ST players? Im sick of having guys like Corto, DiGorgio, and Ellison starting Safety and LB for us because we had to have them on ST's. Bobby April gets way too much love. I understand that he is one of, if not the best ST coach in the NFL but we cant keep taking a guy like Rosco in the 2nd round just to return punts for a living. We need real players at their positions that can also play ST's not the other way around.

And has it occured to anyone that maybe......just maybe Roscoe asked to be traded because he wants out of Buffalo? As I recall he was upset shortly after the season and made a statement that he would like to try and prove himself as a WR in the league. So maybe the Bills are granting his wish and getting what they can for a guy that doesnt want to be her, or wont be happy doing it.

If I was the GM of another team, I wouldn't give up any draft picks for Roscoe Parrish. First of all, for years the Bills ST unit has been the cream of the league, and that is why Roscoe does well on punt returns. Any crackhead could return punts for the Bills. Secondly, no team pays $3 million + for a player who's only effectiveness comes on plays that happen maybe 5 times per game at the most. You couldn't get me to take his $3 million dollar cap hit for free, much less give up a draft pick for it. For this reason, I don't think you guys have to worry about him being traded anyway.

Jason Peters sucks, but Roscoe Parrish is black gold eh? And we wonder why the rest of the nation says Buffalo doesn't deserve an NFL team...

And has it occured to anyone that maybe......just maybe Roscoe asked to be traded because he wants out of Buffalo? As I recall he was upset shortly after the season and made a statement that he would like to try and prove himself as a WR in the league. So maybe the Bills are granting his wish and getting what they can for a guy that doesn't want to be her, or wont be happy doing it.

Interesting thought but I doubt it is the case. Even Roscoe must realize how overpaid he is in Buffalo, and especially how not open he was despite being single covered by teams' #2 cornerback or worse in every game.

Parrish is an exciting player, fun to watch, and the best punt returner in the AFC. So the Bills could keep him and keep one less TE, LB, or QB.

On the other hand, he's a 6th reciever on the team that costs about $3M per year. And the Bills will not replace Parrish with a 5th round pick. McKelvin will replace Parrish on PR, who will do fine. The Bills can then use the 5th round pick on a prospect who may contribute down the road. Finally, they can use the $3M saved per season to help upgrade at another position (perhaps DT Henderson or OG Waters). Also, why can't Parrish beat out Reed at WR? Is Reed just that good?

It bugs me a bit that maximizing profits gets in the way of building the best team possible. But maybe that's life in the NFL except for a handful of teams.

Dante Hall was traded to the Rams for a 5th rounder a few years back.