Don't trade Parrish!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe what you want to believe. The "fact" that you call it a "fact" does not make it a "fact."

Or you could point out that he has had multiple opportunities to prove himself to get on the field and cannot get past the 3rd WR spot. And the only reason why he isnt the 4th is because we never had an actual #2. Stats dont lie and game film doesnt either. Roscoe is a very sub par WR. I keep going back in my mind to how most of us thought about Price. When he was traded and became the primary target he sucked. The difference is that Roscoe always sucked. And what he does at punt return is nothing we cant get out of the fastest WR left in the draft in the 7th round.

Or you could point out that he has had multiple opportunities to prove himself to get on the field and cannot get past the 3rd WR spot. And the only reason why he isnt the 4th is because we never had an actual #2. Stats dont lie and game film doesnt either. Roscoe is a very sub par WR. I keep going back in my mind to how most of us thought about Price. When he was traded and became the primary target he sucked. The difference is that Roscoe always sucked. And what he does at punt return is nothing we cant get out of the fastest WR left in the draft in the 7th round.

To be fair, Peerless Price and Roscoe Parrish are completely different WR's. Parrish (5'9" 170 soaking wet) is the kind of guy - no more than a 3rd or 4th WR - to get in the middle and use his pure quickness to make defenders miss if the progressions ever get to him, but lacked even decent size to be a legitimate deep threat. Price (5'11" 195 lbs.) was a solid #2 who was a deep threat and liked to work the sidelines, but wasn't crazy about contact. In Atlanta, the expectations of Price were crushing. With Roscoe, they were never there; he never came anywhere close to Price's numbers in '02.

Last I checked Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round and is already considered a lock for 1st ballot HOF

"Brady was selected with pick #199, a compensatory pick, of the 2000 NFL Draft. According to Michael Holley's book Patriot Reign, the Patriots were considering Brady and Tim Rattay, both of whom had received positive reviews from then-quarterbacks coach Dick Rehbein. Ultimately, the Patriots front office chose Brady, a decision that a 2007 NFL Network special deemed the greatest "steal" in the history of the NFL Draft."

You cant say we will or wont get a solid IMPACT player or not. You take your chances with the draft. At the same time we could end up drafting....

"Michael D. Williams (born January 11, 1980 in Dallas, Texas) is a former American football offensive tackle in the National Football League. He was drafted by the Buffalo Bills out of the University of Texas with the fourth overall pick of the 2002 NFL Draft. Weighing 360 lbs, Williams seemed destined to be the anchor of the AFC's heaviest offense. But, in hindsight, many observers now consider the Tom Donahoe's decision to draft Williams to be one of his biggest mistakes as Bills GM.

The reason EVERYONE brings up Brady in regard to late draft picks is VERY FEW 6th round picks become even average players, MOST don't even make the cut. Name me even 4 IMPACT players the Bills have picked in round 4 or later over the last 10 years.

To be fair, Peerless Price and Roscoe Parrish are completely different WR's. Parrish (5'9" 170 soaking wet) is the kind of guy - no more than a 3rd or 4th WR - to get in the middle and use his pure quickness to make defenders miss if the progressions ever get to him, but lacked even decent size to be a legitimate deep threat. Price (5'11" 195 lbs.) was a solid #2 who was a deep threat and liked to work the sidelines, but wasn't crazy about contact. In Atlanta, the expectations of Price were crushing. With Roscoe, they were never there; he never came anywhere close to Price's numbers in '02.

I wasnt saying that they are very similar to size or playing style.

I was just pointing out that people here seem to think he is better than he really is. I like Roscoe at punt return. I just dont think he can even be a decent 3rd WR in this league.

Thank you tho, Ive always valued your opinions

The reason EVERYONE brings up Brady in regard to late draft picks is VERY FEW 6th round picks become even average players, MOST don't even make the cut. Name me even 4 IMPACT players the Bills have picked in round 4 or later over the last 10 years.

Ok Im not going to get into this like crazy. But just looking at 2005 and 2006 I found the following players that were all starters at some point for this team last year.

05 round4 pick 122 Duke Preston

06 round4 pick 105 Ko Simpson

06 round5 pick 134 Kyle Williams

06 round5 pick 143 Brad Butler

06 round6 pick 178 Keith Ellison

That was just 2 years on the Bills team that produced 5 guys that started at some point last year. So if you want to say IMPACT like Tom Brady then no. But who has been on the Bills since the Kelly era? The point is you never know with the draft what your going to get. You could get Mike Williams with the 4th overall, or a Tom Brady in the 6th round. All Im saying is that you dont know what were going to get for a few years after they have been in the league. Roscoe has already been here and proved nothing other than he can take a few punts for TD's. Is that really that big of a deal to have when we could use help in other areas? The FO is trying to improve this team. If they make it worse by loosing Roscoe so be it. But we know what we had with him. Hes no Tom Brady. And IMO anyone that is not named Payton Manning, Tom Brady is tradable for the right price.

2003 - Terrence McGee - 4th round - current starter

2006 - Kyle Williams - 5th round - current starter

2006 - Brad Butler - 5th round - current starter

2006 - Keith Ellison - 6th round - current starter

2008 - Reggie Corner - 4th round - TBD

2008 - Derek Fine - 4th round - TBD

2008 - Demetrius Bell - 7th round - TBD

I'm not sure I'd consider anyone on the Bills' roster (outside of the newly acquired TO) an IMPACT player. However, I think the first 4 in the list above can be considered solid draft picks. Given the amount of playing time each of these guys receives in comparison to Parish, I would argue that they contribute more to the teams overall production (or lack thereof) on the field each Sunday. The final 3 seem to have potential; hence, the To Be Determined designation.

Again, I'm not suggesting that Parish be traded. I'm just saying that we're currently using a roster spot on a guy that has limited touches per game and I can understand why they might be entertaining offers. Could we get someone with a 4th round pick that would contribute more to winning? I don't know. That would largely depend upon how they use the pick.

However, I do know that for several years Parish has been great at returning kicks and giving us great field position. And what has that gotten us? A whole lotta 7's and 9's. So, either we make a change to help ensure he scores on each punt return because the offense can't get it done. Or we make a change and try to get more playmakers on offense that can actually score. Either way something's gotta give if we want to improve from 7-9.

I'm not sure I'd consider anyone on the Bills' roster (outside of the newly acquired TO) an IMPACT player. However, I think the first 4 in the list above can be considered solid draft picks. Given the amount of playing time each of these guys receives in comparison to Parish, I would argue that they contribute more to the teams overall production (or lack thereof) on the field each Sunday. The final 3 seem to have potential; hence, the To Be Determined designation.

Again, I'm not suggesting that Parish be traded. I'm just saying that we're currently using a roster spot on a guy that has limited touches per game and I can understand why they might be entertaining offers. Could we get someone with a 4th round pick that would contribute more to winning? I don't know. That would largely depend upon how they use the pick.

However, I do know that for several years Parish has been great at returning kicks and giving us great field position. And what has that gotten us? A whole lotta 7's and 9's. So, either we make a change to help ensure he scores on each punt return because the offense can't get it done. Or we make a change and try to get more playmakers on offense that can actually score. Either way something's gotta give if we want to improve from 7-9.

You left out Steve Johnson. :thumbsup:

You left out Steve Johnson. :thumbsup:

Agreed. I didn't want to seem too greedy. :beer: But, you're absolutely right. Johnson has shown as much or more promise than Hardy. Again, just illustrating that quality players can come from almost anywhere in the draft.

I think sometimes we all get too hung up in the first and second round superstars and forget that a solid team is made up of a good percentage of role players that provide solid, consistent play week in and week out. And many of these guys come in the later rounds of the draft.

While Parrish has limited touches per game, he has the potential to IMPACT every game he plays in with those few touches. Back when the Bills were GOOD, they found room for Tasker, he also had limited touches.

If he could be traded for an IMPACT player GREAT, but a 4th rd pick will not be that.

...what he does at punt return is nothing we cant get out of the fastest WR left in the draft in the 7th round.

Here's just one example of a guy we could get with a mid round pick who might have great impact in replacing Roscoe.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/22/...out-cornerback/

Runs a 4.35 forty and had one kickoff and one punt return in college. Small school All-American defensive back who dominated the competition.

While Parrish has limited touches per game, he has the potential to IMPACT every game he plays in with those few touches. Back when the Bills were GOOD, they found room for Tasker, he also had limited touches.

Very good point. The one caveat being that the current Bills aren't very good. So, can we still afford that luxury? Believe me, I won't be upset in any way if Parish remains on the team. He's great at what he does. But, I don't think its a bad idea at all to see what they could get for him either.

Agreed. I didn't want to seem too greedy. :lol: But, you're absolutely right. Johnson has shown as much or more promise than Hardy. Again, just illustrating that quality players can come from almost anywhere in the draft.

I think sometimes we all get too hung up in the first and second round superstars and forget that a solid team is made up of a good percentage of role players that provide solid, consistent play week in and week out. And many of these guys come in the later rounds of the draft.

I agree Johnson shows promise, the question is will he REACH his potential? Time will tell, some do, but for one reason or another MANY others NEVER do.