Rumor about T.O.'s contract and it's stipulations

yall

Typical "friend of a friend heard from so-and-so" thing, so take it with a full sized helping of salt:

Friend of a friend was speaking to the father of someone involved with the Bills. The person stated that T.O.'s contract contains a provision wherein he will receive a million dollar bonus if he gets less than 90 catches. I challenged this saying "you or this guy probably misunderstood and it's a bonus for 90 or more catches, not less" and he replied that he was certain this is what he was told.

Have any of you ever seen a contract that paid a bonus if the team didn't get you enough carries, catches, snaps, etc? Sounds like total BS to me, or at least a complete misunderstanding, as I would almost expect there is a bonus for him to have 90 or more.

Typical "friend of a friend heard from so-and-so" thing, so take it with a full sized helping of salt:

Friend of a friend was speaking to the father of someone involved with the Bills. The person stated that T.O.'s contract contains a provision wherein he will receive a million dollar bonus if he gets less than 90 catches. I challenged this saying "you or this guy probably misunderstood and it's a bonus for 90 or more catches, not less" and he replied that he was certain this is what he was told.

Have any of you ever seen a contract that paid a bonus if the team didn't get you enough carries, catches, snaps, etc? Sounds like total BS to me, or at least a complete misunderstanding, as I would almost expect there is a bonus for him to have 90 or more.

So he gets to 89 catches, what is his incentive to catch another pass? Does that kind of a clause make any sense at all? C'mon man, you actually posted this?

So he gets to 89 catches, what is his incentive to catch another pass? Does that kind of a clause make any sense at all? C'mon man, you actually posted this?

He still has an incentive for as many catches as he can get for his final big contract after the season.

But you're right to the extent that if he's sitting on 89 on the last play of the season, he might drop the ball on purpose.

Thanks for the disclaimer.

So your source is the dad of someone who works with the Bills, who told a friend of your friend something?

Sounds accurate to me!

Why you gotta be a Jauron? The guy already provided the disclaimer.

In any case, I can see the scenario...4th and goal at the 2, bills down by 4 with 2 seconds left against indy, needing to win to get to the playoffs...fade to T.O. (who has been stuck at 89 catches all game), his man slips, and just as the ball is about to fall into his waiting hands, he slaps it away. Then he steals someone popcorn, spits in it, and gives it back to them.

He still has an incentive for as many catches as he can get for his final big contract after the season.

But you're right to the extent that if he's sitting on 89 on the last play of the season, he might drop the ball on purpose.

89 catches would warrant a big contract for the following season and an extra Mil in his pocket if the rumor was true...

Week 17 of the regular season.

Playoffs on the line.

Bills down by 4 with :59 left.

Ball at their own 37, no timeouts remaining (DJ challenges and issues with a hangnail have eaten up timeouts).

Edwards rolls right...finds TO for a gain of 39 to the opponents 24 yard line.

Clock is ticking...25-24-23-22.

First down pass for 8 yards to Owens who makes his 89th catch of the year & he gets OOB stopping the clock at 16 seconds.

Second down...pass incomplete to Evans in the EZ, Edwards really put some zip on the ball and Evans didn't get his head around in time.

11 seconds remaining.

Third down & 2, Bills at the 16 yard line ball intended for Lynch alone at the 5 is batted down.

7 seconds remaining.

Fourth down.

Season on the line.

Edwards takes the snap, pumps right.

DB bites on the fake.

Owens is WIDE OPEN down the sideline.

Edwards launches a perfect pass over the safety who is streaking towards TO.

Ball drops ever so softly into Owens' hands.

but he bobbles the ball and if falls harmlessly to the turf

Owens surprisingly doesn't seem dejected about the drop and lost playoff appearance. :angry:

obviously more, not less..

A "friend of a friend" said VH-1 is actually paying his salary!

:angry: