Peter King - Peter's Trade

MURTR

Not sure if posted yet...

"I think, as I examine the Jason Peters deal -- first-, fourth- and sixth-round picks, with the first-rounder the 28th pick in Saturday's draft -- I think the Eagles got the major edge. "Other than Anthony Munoz, this is the most devastating blocker and pass-protector I've ever coached,'' said the retired and well-respected former NFL line coach Jim McNally, who mentored Peters from being a college tight end to one of the premier tackles in the game. "He's a terrific player and a good kid. What happened to him in Buffalo, I think, is he saw two linemen come in and make a lot of money [Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker], and he looked at them and said, 'I'm better than they are; why aren't I making that money?' And it really affected him. I think he'll be a dominating player in Philadelphia, and I don't think the money will affect him.'' We'll see."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I think, as I examine the Jason Peters deal -- first-, fourth- and sixth-round picks, with the first-rounder the 28th pick in Saturday's draft -- I think the Eagles got the major edge. "Other than Anthony Munoz, this is the most devastating blocker and pass-protector I've ever coached,'' said the retired and well-respected former NFL line coach Jim McNally, who mentored Peters from being a college tight end to one of the premier tackles in the game. "He's a terrific player and a good kid. What happened to him in Buffalo, I think, is he saw two linemen come in and make a lot of money [Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker], and he looked at them and said, 'I'm better than they are; why aren't I making that money?' And it really affected him. I think he'll be a dominating player in Philadelphia, and I don't think the money will affect him.'' We'll see."

The highly regarded McNally (who is soon to be demonized by those for the trade) believed Peters was a superior talent. Sure, he's partial, but I think he knows OL when he sees them.

I'll take the experts take before message board posters who don't study film. But again, only time will tell if this move benefits one side or the other more. I think we'll know by Week 6 of this upcoming season.

I just don't think that we needed to get rid of Peters but instead pay him so we wouldn't have another disruption before our draft. He's a great player and he was on our team, to go and have to fill another self inflicted hole is getting tiresome. Philadelphia has got themselves one heck of a LT.

I just don't think that we needed to get rid of Peters but instead pay him so we wouldn't have another disruption before our draft. He's a great player and he was on our team, to go and have to fill another self inflicted hole is getting tiresome. Philadelphia has got themselves one heck of a LT.

I agree with you but only time will tell who gets the advantage here. Out the chute the Bills are on the losing side of the outcome. Time will tell whether Peters plays up to his potential (or lies down as so many here suspect) and if the draft picks they acquire overcome the initial loss. As i have said all along draft picks are as likely to go bust as they are to turn into good players. If Peters plays and the #28 and fourth rounder go bust our front office has made a very stupid move.

:(

:unsure:

I agree with Bills Vet...although I suspect we'll find Peters wasn't all THAT great by the middle of the season. Did we get the better of the deal? We'll know when we see what we do with the draft choices.

So far our our most recent picks in the bottom part of the 1st rd have been McCargo (bust), and Losman (bust). History leans towards us not doing much better this time around in evaluating talent.

The highly regarded McNally (who is soon to be demonized by those for the trade) believed Peters was a superior talent. Sure, he's partial, but I think he knows OL when he sees them.

I'll take the experts take before message board posters who don't study film. But again, only time will tell if this move benefits one side or the other more. I think we'll know by Week 6 of this upcoming season.

You can't possibly know how this trade will benefit one team or the other six weeks into this upcomming year. It will take 2-3 years to truly understand it. If Peters has injuries along the way, who the Bills draft with the picks and how they develope etc....

My guess is that Peters will be 1st team All-Pro this year and we will, again, look cheap and foolish.

I think you are right.

Peters' play was less than expected last year because he was playing next to a $7 million dollar a year stiff (Dockery)

First of all, Dockery's weakness affected Peters' play and secondly it really must have pissed Peters off that the Bills were willing to pay this stiff more than twice what Peters was making and yet they wouldn't re-structure his deal.

I think everyone in the same position would feel the same. I don't blame Peters at all for wanting to be paid fairly. The Bills just don't have the winning mentality. They want to be competitive at a certain price.

Winning teams want to win it all. The Bills want to minimize their costs, maximize their profits and hopefully be competitive.

The trade is totally lopsided in Philly's favor. The Eagles through shrewd cap management over the years (this is well documented) have managed to strengthen their team and still keep their best draft pick. Kudos to the Eagles for fleecing the weak minded and poorly run Bills organization.

It all goes back to Ralph Wilson.

My guess is that Peters turns into a fat blob.

I wouldn't exactly call McNally an expert. He didn't exactly work wonders here.

Naw, not him - he only coached Munoz and turned an athletic TE in FA into a good to excellent LT. That and except for that loser Williams we didn't draft one OL in the first three rounds of the draft while he was here. So he hasn't exactly had the best talent to work with. He also coached a well heeled Giants OL before he left NY.

Naw, not him. He's a total bum. He doesn't know anything about OL play at all. (Sarcasm button off)

Be it known here, that no matter how irrational or illogical it seems the moves of our FO are, if you disagree you are a total bum...

I have gotten over the 'which team got the better end of the deal' thought process. A relevant discussion is that - did the Bills make the right choice given the options they had. The situation was that Peters played 'unhappily' last year and would likely do the same without a new contract. So if they wanted him to play well in 2009, they would have to pony up a lot of money. So, the ultimate decision was - do we spend over $11M per year for one player (who may likely become unhappy again in 2 years) or to get the best deal we can get for him. Doing the latter would allow allocation of those funds to more players and possibly build up an OL of personnel who may not blossom in 2009 (i.e. if a rookie) but set ourselves up for a good run after 2010.

Given the situation as I understand it, the Bills made the right call. I would have preferred that Peters stay a Bill but not for the money he required or the drama/distraction that came with him.

I have gotten over the 'which team got the better end of the deal' thought process. A relevant discussion is that - did the Bills make the right choice given the options they had. The situation was that Peters played 'unhappily' last year and would likely do the same without a new contract. So if they wanted him to play well in 2009, they would have to pony up a lot of money. So, the ultimate decision was - do we spend over $11M per year for one player (who may likely become unhappy again in 2 years) or to get the best deal we can get for him. Doing the latter would allow allocation of those funds to more players and possibly build up an OL of personnel who may not blossom in 2009 (i.e. if a rookie) but set ourselves up for a good run after 2010.

Given the situation as I understand it, the Bills made the right call. I would have preferred that Peters stay a Bill but not for the money he required or the drama/distraction that came with him.

Agreed 1000% - I think you nailed it, Chicago - there was no other way to deal with someone who no longer wanted to be here. To the other posters who think the Bills FO is inept, they had to play the hand that was dealt them - which is, Peters wanted out and the Bills could not afford to be held hostage again with another training camp fiasco.

To all those Peters fans and Bills FO haters, do you remember Peters' bizarre behavior last summer when HE WOULD NOT EVEN RETURN PHONE CALLS from Bills management? I mean, ANY of us who refused to return phone calls from our bosses would not get "traded", we'd get FIRED. Enough said....now let's kick tail in the draft and move on.

What money should you pay one of the top LT's in the NFL? Cause in 2-3 years $11 mill will look like a bargain.

"I think, as I examine the Jason Peters deal -- first-, fourth- and sixth-round picks, with the first-rounder the 28th pick in Saturday's draft -- I think the Eagles got the major edge."

It's not just the picks. The Bills also saved $10-11M per year which they can use to go out and get a top FA next year. It's equivalent to the 3 draft picks, Orlando Pace (who signed for $5M per), and T.O. ($6M) for Jason Peters. Though Jason was a good player for us, I think the Bills did fine to move on.

Then why was no team willing to offer more than the Eagles offered for him? Obviously a lot of folks around the league have doubts about this "two-time pro-bowler".

To all those Peters fans and Bills FO haters....

I love anyone who decides to include this little gem in any post congratulating Russ and his inner circle on any move....

We should ALL be front office haters for the way they've run this team for the last 9+ years. This organization went from being a perennial Super Bowl favorite to needing to sign the NFL's problem child just to remind the league that the team is still here.

The FRONT OFFICE IS A JOKE. 9+ years of playoffs is all the proof you need to question ANY decision this group makes. Regardless of whether or not Peters wanted to play here, we just gave up an All-Pro LT (a position we have no depth in) for a LATE first round pick. Then instead of ponying up money to keep Freddie Jackson here, they go out and sign DUI Rhodes.

Congrats Russ, great work....