Official NBA playoffs thread....

Special K

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you haven't figured it out, I'm not sure explaining it will help, but I will try.

It is really all about maximizing the profit over the long haul. If Boston and LA made the Finals again this year, it would be a two year story line. When the Finals were over, the story would be over as well. The way it is set up now, the NBA accomplishes two things:

For the 08-09 season, with the fake injury to Garnett, the Celtics have a "legitimate" excuse. This sets up the 09-10 season and a third year of milking profits from easily duped fans. It also allows for Kobe Bryant to get a championship without Shaq, which is a continuation/end of an older story line. This would have happened sooner, if Kobe had not, well, you know. Anyway, everyone has forgotten that and Stern knows it. The selection of Denver as the other Western Conference Finalist cemented that angle. With the C's healthy next year both teams will have a good run to the Finals. As I stated in my original post, it may even be allowed to be played as a legitimate series as long as it goes 7.

Additionally, the Orlando entry into the Finals as a pawn allows for the beginning of the LeBron story which will be the next major headline grabber. Having these stories overlap is one of Stern's best tricks. When the Lakers/Celtics story fades, the LeBron story will hit center stage. The only thing that goes on and on is the revenue train. LeBron will win either in NY or Cleveland in 11-12. The 10-11 season is likely to see either a crazy longshot win it or some heart tugging story like a member of the winning team having suffered a great personal tragedy.

Dismiss this if you will but you have already seen my "prediction" come true, complete with the fake injury. You will also watch the other predictions come true. You can wait until then to believe and continue being fooled by Stern or you can believe me now and watch and laugh.

So, I realize that the NBA had a referee scandal, and that refereeing has always been a cloudy issue in the NBA. I have to say, though, if this scandal/manipulation was as deeply entrenched as you suggest, with David Stern pulling the strings, you don't think anyone in the "inner circle" of the plot, would come out and speak up? It would be huge news, and the person that speaks up would stand to become very rich. Players, coaches and team doctors would have to be in on this.

You are trying to tell me that Kevin Garnett has been faking an injury for the last 4 months, so that Kobe and the Lakers can win a title? Sorry, I find it a little hard to believe. It is easy to predcit which teams will win, becuase, as in other sports, the team with the best talent normally wins. Of course, any team with Kobe Byrant, LeBron James, or the trio of Garnett/Pierce/Allen is going to go pretty deep, if not all the way, in the playoffs. The teams with those players are the logical favorites to win it all...since you are suggesting that Stern has been pulling the string for year now, why wouldn't he have made the Celtics better, sooner, when the leauge began suffering? Why would he have allowed Kobe's "incident" in Denver stand in the way of his grand plan? Why would he have paved the way for the Spurs, a team almost nobody cares about, outside of Texas, to dominate for the better part of a decade?

Wouldn't having Kobe win a championship, with a Shaqless Lakers team, have made more sense, in your scenario, when the whole Colorodo thing was fresher on peoples' mind? Bryant has become, perhaps, one of the most hated players in the NBA, despite being one of its' greatest players ever, because of an unsubstantiated accusation. How does that play into Sterns' grand plan? And then you are suggesting, on top of all that, that Stern will somehow have somebody fake a personal tragedy, to gain public support on a championship?

I can't answer all of your stuff because it is too rambling but I will answer a few of them.

You are trying to tell me that Kevin Garnett has been faking an injury for the last 4 months, so that Kobe and the Lakers can win a title?

Technically I told you before it happened. And then it happened.

Why would he have allowed Kobe's "incident" in Denver stand in the way of his grand plan? Why would he have allowed Kobe's "incident" in Denver stand in the way of his grand plan?

Stern would have had Kobe face a few post-Shaq failures and then rise up to win sooner, perhaps even beat Shaq's team in the Finals. The problem with doing it sooner is that Kobe's actions reflected poorly on the NBA and Stern had to wait a few years so everyone would forget what Kobe did to that woman. It is sort of like everyone forgetting that Hulk Hogan was once a bad guy. Not exactly, but sort of. Stern could not control that the original incident happened but he could wait it out.

Why would he have paved the way for the Spurs, a team almost nobody cares about, outside of Texas, to dominate for the better part of a decade?

The Spurs are indeed a curious case and you are correct in pointing them out. It must be that someone in or around San Antonio has something on Stern. Nothing else makes sense. No other teams from markets like that are ever allowed to win.

Teams not allowed to win:

Pacers even though they have traditionally been a well run franchise.

Toronto

Cleveland

Milwaukee

Orlando

Atlanta

Charlotte

Washington

Dallas

New Orleans

Memphis

Denver

Portland

Utah

Minnesota

OK City

Phoenix

Golden State

Clippers

Kings

NJ until they move

Their only shot is in 10-11. That is over two thirds of the league.

Technically I told you before it happened. And then it happened.

Stern would have had Kobe face a few post-Shaq failures and then rise up to win sooner, perhaps even beat Shaq's team in the Finals. The problem with doing it sooner is that Kobe's actions reflected poorly on the NBA and Stern had to wait a few years so everyone would forget what Kobe did to that woman. It is sort of like everyone forgetting that Hulk Hogan was once a bad guy. Not exactly, but sort of. Stern could not control that the original incident happened but he could wait it out.

The Spurs are indeed a curious case and you are correct in pointing them out. It must be that someone in or around San Antonio has something on Stern. Nothing else makes sense. No other teams from markets like that are ever allowed to win.

Teams not allowed to win:

Pacers even though they have traditionally been a well run franchise.

Toronto

Cleveland

Milwaukee

Orlando

Atlanta

Charlotte

Washington

Dallas

New Orleans

Memphis

Denver

Portland

Utah

Minnesota

OK City

Phoenix

Golden State

Clippers

Kings

NJ until they move

Their only shot is in 10-11. That is over two thirds of the league.

Sorry Crayonz, your nuts...everything you "predicted" had a high probability of happening. It doesn't take a genius, or anyone with some great knowledge to predict that the Lakers will win a championship, as they are obviously a very talented team. It is like patting yourself on the back for predicting the Patriots will win the Super Bowl. If it happens, you can say "I told you so"...if it doesn't, you can point to some unforseen circumstance why it didn't. You theory can change to fit whatever circumstance happens. Did you predict, before it happened, that the Celtics would beat the Lakers last year? Very few did.

Unless you can prove that Kevin Garnett has been faking his injury, I can't buy your conspiracy theory. There is a very good probability that LeBron James will be on a championship team in in 2010 or 2011, because he is an freak of a player, a generational player, who will be in his prime as a basketball player. Those type of players, in any sport, normally win a championship or two.

Sorry Crayonz, your nuts...everything you "predicted" had a high probability of happening. It doesn't take a genius, or anyone with some great knowledge to predict that the Lakers will win a championship, as they are obviously a very talented team. It is like patting yourself on the back for predicting the Patriots will win the Super Bowl. If it happens, you can say "I told you so"...if it doesn't, you can point to some unforseen circumstance why it didn't. You theory can change to fit whatever circumstance happens. Did you predict, before it happened, that the Celtics would beat the Lakers last year? Very few did.

Unless you can prove that Kevin Garnett has been faking his injury, I can't buy your conspiracy theory. There is a very good probability that LeBron James will be on a championship team in in 2010 or 2011, because he is an freak of a player, a generational player, who will be in his prime as a basketball player. Those type of players, in any sport, normally win a championship or two.

I predicted that a key member of the Celtics would go down with "injury". Then it happened. I also predicted Big Brown would be "injured" before having to face the good older horses. That also happened. In each case it keeps the "injured" party's reputation intact and increases the money making chances for ownership. You decide how real the injuries were. Think with your brain, not your heart. My predictions were very specific and you are convincing yourself they were vague. I should have been able to see it would be Garnett because he is a bigger excuse than Pierce or Allen so I could have been more specific then. How could I have predicted both injuries if they were real? The fake ones are the easy ones to predict.

I predicted the Lakers would face the Magic or the Hawks. There is another one that came true. How many people said Lakers/Magic or Lakers/Hawks in February? I will admit I thought the Cavs might make it for a while but I never flat out said they would. I was unsure. I got confused by the story line of LeBron's frustration.

LeBron will not win until 11-12. 0% chance. He will either be a Knick or a Cav in 10-11 and 11-12. 60% chance of Cav IMO. 0% chance of any other team. His non-handshaking, non-press conference are just the beginning and they were well scripted. I didn't see that coming.

In 10-11 there will be some heart wrenching story and a one time flukish champion.

The Finals next year are set as Bos-LA and may even be played legitimately. It will probably go 7 and I would lean toward LA having home court and winning.

In summary everything I have said well in advance has come true. They were not all "easy" predictions as you try to say. You know this. I have made predictions moving well into the future. For my final prediction I will say they will all come true and that you will still not believe the NBA is fixed. That is exactly what Stern wants.

As for predicting the BOS/LA of 07-08 I did not. I did not try to make any predictions that year but if I tried I would have probably gotten it wrong. This is because it was the beginning of a story line so it was much harder to predict. Once the story gets going, that is when it gets easier and why I knew someone on the Celtics would get "injured". The beginning of the LeBron story line confused me this year too. That one I should have been able to figure out because it wasn't really the very beginning but just an early chapter.

^^^

Wow, basketball really sucks.

Still nothing like MLBaseball... No salary cap and over the last 30 years more different teams that won the WS... Even know the big dogs (NYY/BoSox) are always there, they don't always win it all. Still America's pastime and run the way it should be run. The good old American way! Team first, league next.

Fire away!

^^^

Wow, basketball really sucks.

Still nothing like MLBaseball... No salary cap and over the last 30 years more different teams that won the WS... Even know the big dogs (NYY/BoSox) are always there, they don't always win it all. Still America's pastime and run the way it should be run. The good old American way! Team first, league next.

Fire away!

sad that there isn't a baseball forum for these thoughts of yours

I predicted that a key member of the Celtics would go down with "injury". Then it happened. I also predicted Big Brown would be "injured" before having to face the good older horses. That also happened. In each case it keeps the "injured" party's reputation intact and increases the money making chances for ownership. You decide how real the injuries were. Think with your brain, not your heart. My predictions were very specific and you are convincing yourself they were vague. I should have been able to see it would be Garnett because he is a bigger excuse than Pierce or Allen so I could have been more specific then. How could I have predicted both injuries if they were real? The fake ones are the easy ones to predict.

I predicted the Lakers would face the Magic or the Hawks. There is another one that came true. How many people said Lakers/Magic or Lakers/Hawks in February? I will admit I thought the Cavs might make it for a while but I never flat out said they would. I was unsure. I got confused by the story line of LeBron's frustration.

LeBron will not win until 11-12. 0% chance. He will either be a Knick or a Cav in 10-11 and 11-12. 60% chance of Cav IMO. 0% chance of any other team. His non-handshaking, non-press conference are just the beginning and they were well scripted. I didn't see that coming.

In 10-11 there will be some heart wrenching story and a one time flukish champion.

My point is, all of the things you predicted, are pretty logical guesses. The only thing you predicted, that would fit into a cospiracy of any sort, was the Garnett fake injury. Unless someone can prove that it is a fraud, I think you are a great predictor, but it doesn't prove anything else.

The Finals next year are set as Bos-LA and may even be played legitimately. It will probably go 7 and I would lean toward LA having home court and winning.

In summary everything I have said well in advance has come true. They were not all "easy" predictions as you try to say. You know this. I have made predictions moving well into the future. For my final prediction I will say they will all come true and that you will still not believe the NBA is fixed. That is exactly what Stern wants.

As for predicting the BOS/LA of 07-08 I did not. I did not try to make any predictions that year but if I tried I would have probably gotten it wrong. This is because it was the beginning of a story line so it was much harder to predict. Once the story gets going, that is when it gets easier and why I knew someone on the Celtics would get "injured". The beginning of the LeBron story line confused me this year too. That one I should have been able to figure out because it wasn't really the very beginning but just an early chapter.

So, how come nobody has come out to expose this fraud? Do you really think the script could be kept under wraps, for this long, without anybody spilling the beans? I give you credit for your predictions, but that is all they are. You have no proof. I can have a gut feeling that the Patriots will win the Super Bowl this year, but it is not proof that it is pre-detemined, even if it does happen. To compare the NBA to wrestling is just silly. There are numerous wrestlers who will testify that wrestling is fixed. How come no NBA player or coach has come out and spoken up, after retiring?

I can understand the suspicion about the NBA, as it pertains to officiating. We have proof that at least one referee was intentionaly affecting the outcome of games. But, that is a far cry from some league wide conspiracy. It is very much a star player driven league. Teams with the best stars, normally win. You predicted Orlando or Atlanta to be in the fianls this year. Given the results of last season, that is not all that unfathomable. Atlanta looked like a force to reckon with late last season, and at times this year, and Orlando has been on the cusp of elite teams in the east for a couple of seasons now.

So, how come nobody has come out to expose this fraud? Do you really think the script could be kept under wraps, for this long, without anybody spilling the beans? I give you credit for your predictions, but that is all they are. You have no proof. I can have a gut feeling that the Patriots will win the Super Bowl this year, but it is not proof that it is pre-detemined, even if it does happen. To compare the NBA to wrestling is just silly. There are numerous wrestlers who will testify that wrestling is fixed. How come no NBA player or coach has come out and spoken up, after retiring?

I can understand the suspicion about the NBA, as it pertains to officiating. We have proof that at least one referee was intentionaly affecting the outcome of games. But, that is a far cry from some league wide conspiracy. It is very much a star player driven league. Teams with the best stars, normally win. You predicted Orlando or Atlanta to be in the fianls this year. Given the results of last season, that is not all that unfathomable. Atlanta looked like a force to reckon with late last season, and at times this year, and Orlando has been on the cusp of elite teams in the east for a couple of seasons now.

Predicting the Patriots to win is one thing as is predicting the Lakers to win. Predicting their victory on the basis of an injury to a key Celtic is quite another.

Keep my predictions. You'll learn the fast way or the slow way. The slow way is fine.

Predicting the Patriots to win is one thing as is predicting the Lakers to win. Predicting their victory on the basis of an injury to a key Celtic is quite another.

Keep my predictions. You'll learn the fast way or the slow way. The slow way is fine.

This is kind of like the Di Vinci code! <_<

I hope you are just humoring him for entertainment value......he sure does take his delusions seriously, doesn't he?

I am jonesing for basketball right now...I can't believe we still have to wait another night for game 1! I will even get in a light sabre battle with the all knowing Crayonz at this point... <_<

BEAT LA! BEAT LA!

Los Angeles Lakers....the Darth Vader of the NBA world!

Hey, when I was growing up, the Celtics played that role... the better you are, the more people hate you! Take it as a compliment to your silly little team! <_< They are the NBA equivalent of the NY Yankees...people love them, or love to hate them... that kind of status doesn't come to ordinary sports teams.

I am jonesing for basketball right now...I can't believe we still have to wait another night for game 1! I will even get in a light sabre battle with the all knowing Crayonz at this point... :devil:

BEAT LA! BEAT LA!

I agree, man...I didn't realize just how into the playoffs I was until I had to go a few days without them

Hey, when I was growing up, the Celtics played that role... the better you are, the more people hate you! Take it as a compliment to your silly little team! B-) They are the NBA equivalent of the NY Yankees...people love them, or love to hate them... that kind of status doesn't come to ordinary sports teams.

Dont you just wish our football team was hated like this....... :devil:

Dont you just wish our football team was hated like this....... ;)

I can't wait for tomorrow...its gonna be a great series..........GO MAGIC!!

Good luck to you John, and look at it this way: If either the Magic or the Lakers win, at least one Bills fan will be happy and able to celebrate a Championship!! :beer::rolleyes::(