New Deal For Stroud

Sherman

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no doubt that Stroud improved the team's run defense. I think he had something to prove after his final season in Jacksonville with the steroid (read: banned substance) violation. That, and the Jags traded him away for a 3rd and 5th.

Only concern here is he's 31 when the season starts. DT's can play awhile because they don't need sheer speed. Pat Williams comes to mind, and I'm sure the front office remembers that Donahoe debacle.

I see. Well, you jumped on the superlative pretty quickly, and I wondered if you considered his original contract, whether there were gentlemen's agreements made based on incentives when he signed, etc.

It wouldn't have mattered. You still don't give a raise without adding years. It NEVER happens. Plus I'm not sure it would even be enforceable (in order for a contract to be enforceable, each side needs to give "consideration" to the other side, and I'm not sure Stroud agreeing not to cause trouble, etc., would be deemed sufficient consideration).

I've got no problem with this - Stroud can still plug the middle and stop the run.....and Jackson's deal won't be a bank-breaker, regardless of what they settle on.

But it does make me wonder if they aren't giving up on JP, and figuring that they have some $$ to spread around without his new deal.

I see. Well, you jumped on the superlative pretty quickly, and I wondered if you considered his original contract, whether there were gentlemen's agreements made based on incentives when he signed, etc.

Throughout the rest of FA? Seriously? How much more were you expecting? The draft is less than three weeks away. Do you have the exact numbers? Do you know that this will affect the Peters/Jackson negotiations? Me thinks you don't.

huh :thumbsup:

here's your salary cap figures genius http://www.billsdaily.com/frontoffice/salarycap.shtml

Outstanding!

For Peters this means.....

Sing it with me!

Regretfully they tell us,

But firmly they compel us

To say goodby to you.

So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, good night,

I hate to go and leave this pretty sight.

So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, adieu,

Adieu, adieu, to yieu and yieu and yieu.

The sun has gone to bed and so must I

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye,

Goodbye,

Goodbye,

Goodbye!

STROUD IS A STUD !!......a Brilliant signing......gets constant push, is always doubled and i saw him get tripled teamed many times. Now all we need is a young whipper snapper named RAJI......(currently denying that pot rumor).

To me, it pays him 6 million a year for two years. That's what he is worth. If he is still playing at a super high level at the end of the second year, 2010, then perhaps you keep him for the 2011 season, or ask him to take a small cut. It's a fair contract, although I see him as only playing two more years here.

I doubt it has anything to do with Peters deal or the Jackson deal.

Outstanding!

For Peters this means.....

Sing it with me!

Regretfully they tell us,

But firmly they compel us

To say goodby to you.

So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, good night,

I hate to go and leave this pretty sight.

So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, adieu,

Adieu, adieu, to yieu and yieu and yieu.

The sun has gone to bed and so must I

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye,

Goodbye,

Goodbye,

Goodbye!

:thumbsup:

Sadly, that might be the case. HOPEFULLY this means the Bills are moving forward and might already have a deal in place for Peters. I honestly just want all of this Peters mess to be over, one way or another.

Those cheap racist bastards...

Oh wait, wrong thread.

Wouldn't you love to be the IRS employee that goes over an NFL teams' tax filing? Make copies, move somewhere without an extradition treaty, and sell the expose to whatever "Daily Yell" that bids the highest. Any number of City and/or County governments might give you a medal in absentia.

:thumbsup:

The problem is that we will be spending an additional $4.75 Million this year, when I believe most people weren't counting on this. I like Stroud, but $8.25 is a lot to fork over. Does he deserve it? I suppose so.

It isn't the signing that I'm upset with, it is that I didn't take that into account, and now that will leave less money to sign or resign other players. This definitely limits what we can do through out the rest of FA.

That is the problem

I think this deal was implied by the FO last year when they traded for him. They tested him out for a year and he worked, so keep him here for a while. This is smart business to me. They've been doing a good job the past two offseasons with these extensions (read: not talking about Kelsey and Denney who were re-signed). Remember every DT that got traded last offseason got a new deal except him.

These re-signs set precedent (Butler, Williams, Evans last year) that if you come to work and appear that you have the teams interests first, they will pay you. I think it has to be somewhat of a veiled message to Peters that he should be in Buffalo at least during OTAs and certainly not hold out.

And before nayone brings this up, I do not think Jackson fits into this catagory, since he was only tendered an ERFA deal and cannot sign with anyone else. I have full confidence that when the more pressing items come to pass they will lock up Jackson for a few years at least.

confirmed. adds 2 years to 2 years left on deal.

extension includes guaranteed $12 million and stroud stands to make up to $28 million if he meets all his incentives/bonuses over the 4 years.

Seems like a fair deal for all sides even when he doesn't see 10-16 million of it.