Todd Marinovich hits rock bottom

mead107

Ryan Leaf is seen as the biggest quarterback bust in league history by many, but it's not Leaf; it's Marinovich, who while trying to rebel against his uber-controlling pops ended up as an alleged drug-addicted career criminal.

When you read the following passage from Sports Illustrated, it says a lot about why Marinovich might be the way he is.

"He has never eaten a Big Mac or an Oreo or a Ding Dong," wrote the magazine. "When he went to birthday parties as a kid, he would take his own cake and ice cream to avoid sugar and refined white flour. He would eat homemade catsup, prepared with honey. He did consume beef but not the kind injected with hormones. He ate only unprocessed dairy products. He teethed on frozen kidney. When Todd was one month old, [father] Marv was already working on his son's physical conditioning. He stretched his hamstrings. Pushups were next. Marv invented a game in which Todd would try to lift a medicine ball onto a kitchen counter. Marv also put him on a balance beam. Both activites grew easier when Todd learned to walk. There was a football in Todd's crib from day one."

Maybe Todd Marinovich never had a chance.

Marinovich was arrested, according to published reports, because he missed a mandatory review in Newport Beach. Two years ago he pled guilty to possession of methamphetamine, syringe possession and resisting arrest. In all, according to reports, Marinovich has nine prior cases in the Orange County courts alone.

How this ends for Marinovich depends on if anyone can reach him. For now, his lack of an NFL career is the least of his worries.

The father was worse than Jonbenet's mother. At least Jonbenet's mother allowed her to have some semblance of a childhood. Marinovich's father was living vicariously through his son from day one and maybe before. He never let the kid be a kid and that caused him a lot of psychological problems that exploded when he moved out.

'Nuff said.

It is a sad situation, but you can't blame others for the choices you make in life. When you're grown, you are accountable for yourself and what you do. You can't point the finger at anyone else except the person you face when looking in a mirror. Hopefully Todd will look in the mirror, see a person in need of help, and come to his senses. Hopefully he will start taking the steps to get his life in order.

He was taken before Brett Farve in the draft . Raiders thought he would be throwing the ball for them for many years . Just shows how you never know on draft day . Same with Leaf . It is still a crap shoot .

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/11599623/rss

I don't see why the A..wipe writer had to give him a hard time about his looks.He looks like a normal 40 yr old ex-jock.

How some writers seem to become gleeful at putting people down.....--well--shows what a punk he is.

The father was worse than Jonbenet's mother. At least Jonbenet's mother allowed her to have some semblance of a childhood. Marinovich's father was living vicariously through his son from day one and maybe before. He never let the kid be a kid and that caused him a lot of psychological problems that exploded when he moved out.

People who are into heavy drugs have been known to cause deaths to those around them -- Brady's bodyguards should shoot Todd! <_<

This is a really sad story. Although I do agree with H2O, TM has to get over it and move on. That being said, I know what can happen to a young kid that is being pushed so hard. I've seen with teammates and and as a coach. My brother has completely ruined my neice who is an absolute all star pitcher. Her identity is softball and thats about it. She has trouble relating to kids at school and she is pretty much an emotional void. It's sad but it is a good lesson for all of the parents out there to remember, it's your kid on the field, not you.

I don't see why the A..wipe writer had to give him a hard time about his looks.He looks like a normal 40 yr old ex-jock.

How some writers seem to become gleeful at putting people down.....--well--shows what a punk he is.

Careful now... ESPN's Jamele "one trick pony" Hill would say you are being a racist! :(

he doesnt look like a normal 40yr old ex jock;

he looks like james woods with blonde hair

What was the point of this article? TM was a bust, he made terrible choices in life, he's an addict, the draft is a crapshoot, etc....big F'ing deal. Don't they have a sports editor at cbssports.com?

Really, Todd's a mess, a laughingstock. And he has to read this hump's tired shiiii*t? Like the Freeman family tree doesn't have more than a few mugshots from various PDs. Do they get dressed up for theirs?

Hey Mike Freeman, here's some change for that great piece. Go buy a sandwich, you seem to be starving.

Let's not forget that 23 teams passed on him before he was selected, including the Seattle Seahawks who drafted Dan McGwire (Mark's Brother) 8 picks earlier... and he only started 5 games as a pro.

The Raiders thought they were drafting Ivan Drago, believing that the boy was bred to be an NFL QB. He had shown to be immature in college with a coccaine bust, spats with his coach, skipping classes etc.

In reality, he wasn't even the biggest bust of his draft. Bruce Pickens CB, drafted #3 only had 9 career starts, 2 interceptions and was out of the league in 4 years. Then there was Huey Richardson, LB, selected 15th by the Steelers... never recording an NFL start and out of the league in 3 years. Stan Thomas, Tackle at 22 by the Bears, recording seven starts in four years.

It is a sad situation, but you can't blame others for the choices you make in life. When you're grown, you are accountable for yourself and what you do. You can't point the finger at anyone else except the person you face when looking in a mirror. Hopefully Todd will look in the mirror, see a person in need of help, and come to his senses. Hopefully he will start taking the steps to get his life in order.

You need to take Psych 101, fella. Your childhood experiences do in fact continue to influence your lifestyle over and over and over and.... all your life, like it or not.