Whitner as FS

Fingon

At 35 last year, Milloy played at a comparable level to a 23-year old Whitner. And that's pretty pathetic given that Whitner is 12 years younger and a top 10 draft selection.

You obviously have no defense for Whitner's sub-par play... and while you feel my crusade is getting old, I find that Whitner's incessant empty talk is getting old.

All I need to know about your rational thought is that you thought McCargo was a good draft choice. :worthy:

I already showed you how stupid this was because the Bills had a much better pass defense than the Falcons, despite Buffalo haven't one of the worst pass rush and ATL having one of the best. Stop before you make you self look sillier.

And your boy Rusty Dusty is setting the league on fire? He finally actually plays and the Bears have one of the worst defense seasons they have had in a decade. More brilliance from the Dawgg.

And finally, despite you posting every month, the Bills have Whitner. The fact is the draft is a crap shoot. Whitner is still very young and plays behind a terrible pass rush. But so far, he has been a much productive player that guys like Young, Huff, Vernon Davis, Matt Leinart, etc. The Bills could have done much worse. I look forward to Whitner becoming an all pro and you apologizing to him on this board. :beer:

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I already showed you how stupid this was because the Bills had a much better pass defense than the Falcons, despite Buffalo haven't one of the worst pass rush and ATL having one of the best. Stop before you make you self look sillier.

Silly is pointing out that Whitner has the same stats as Bob Sanders when Whitner played in 19 more games.

Silly is also pointing out that McCargo was a good selection when it was clear he was vastly overrated in college.

And your boy Rusty Dusty is setting the league on fire? He finally actually plays and the Bears have one of the worst defense seasons they have had in a decade. More brilliance from the Dawgg.

Dusty Dvoracek might not be the best player in the world. But he comes at a price that's 1/8th of what McCargo costs and despite his injury history, he's still better than McCargo. Add to it the other player selected with a pick the Bills surrendered, Danieal Manning, who has started 30 games as a safety and has more forced fumbles, INTs, and more than twice as many passes defended than Donte Whitner. Oh and by the way, he's one of the game's best kick returners.

Nice try pal, but that trade still works out in favor of the Bears. You were wrong then and you continue to be wrong now.

And finally, despite you posting every month, the Bills have Whitner. The fact is the draft is a crap shoot.

The draft is a crap shoot for the Bills. For winning organizations, it's a tool to build a winning team.

I too look forward to Whitner becoming an all-pro... but judging from his play on the field (not his Facebook posts), that will take a while. I'd be elated if the switch came on and he lit it up this year... but thus far, he has been nothing short of mediocre.

Silly is pointing out that Whitner has the same stats as Bob Sanders when Whitner played in 19 more games.

Silly is also pointing out that McCargo was a good selection when it was clear he was vastly overrated in college.

Dusty Dvoracek might not be the best player in the world. But he comes at a price that's 1/8th of what McCargo costs and despite his injury history, he's still better than McCargo. Add to it the other player selected with a pick the Bills surrendered, Danieal Manning, who has started 30 games as a safety and has more forced fumbles, INTs, and more than twice as many passes defended than Donte Whitner. Oh and by the way, he's one of the game's best kick returners.

Nice try pal, but that trade still works out in favor of the Bears. You were wrong then and you continue to be wrong now.

The draft is a crap shoot for the Bills. For winning organizations, it's a tool to build a winning team.

I too look forward to Whitner becoming an all-pro... but judging from his play on the field (not his Facebook posts), that will take a while. I'd be elated if the switch came on and he lit it up this year... but thus far, he has been nothing short of mediocre.

Dude, you're insane. I'm not going to get into proving you wrong yet again, but your beloved Bears (with considerable more big names) had a defense that finished 21st while the Bills finished 14th. Please explain.

Dude, you're insane. I'm not going to get into proving you wrong yet again, but your beloved Bears (with considerable more big names) had a defense that finished 21st while the Bills finished 14th. Please explain.

You have already shown you have no idea how to use statistics judging by your comparison of Sanders to Whitner when Whitner played in 19 more games.

Now your latest brilliance takes team defense rankings and extrapolates that to individual player comparisons.

I guess by your logic, since the Bills had a higher overall defensive rank than the Panthers, Chris Kelsay > Julius Peppers?

Keep it coming... you still have yet to prove that this trade worked out in the Bills' favor. You also have yet to prove that Whitner has anything better than mediocre. Now that your Bob Sanders comparison has been shot down, you are gasping for straws.

You're right. Whitner sucks because he doesn't get injured as much. Great point.

so your response to your comparison of Whitner's stats to Sanders after 3 years without realizing Sanders played 19 less games is to give Whitner a pat on the back for staying healthy even though he couldnt outperform a guy that played 19 less games then he did during his first 3 years in the league

weak back peddle and way to avoid your own comparison

Name 10 safeties better than Whitner, because most experts believe he is top 10. He was moved around because we had a lot of injuries at CB, and this move to FS is because the team feels that his roaming capabilities shouldn't be wasted taking on pulling guards in the box. Name me one Tampa 2 team that uses a 350 lbs tackle... oh wait... you can't.

Ed Reed

Troy P

Bob Sanders

Chris Hope

Laron Landry

Brian Dawkins

Yeremiah Bell

Adrian Wilson

Jermaine Phillips

Eric Weddle

Ok, I'll go out of the way to defend Whitner, He lined up at basically every position in the secondary at some point, due to injuries and general ineffectiveness of certain players over the past few years. His stats may look like they are going down, but that is in large part because QB's don't throw his way all that often, they picked on McGee, Ko, and the linebackers underneath more. He is asked to different things than most traditional strong safeties, so his stats reflect it.

At this point, he is not a game changer, but he can become that if he actually learns one position in a scheme that stays consistent. however, i think he is better than a few of the safeties listed above namely Weddle and Phillips.

Haha Dawgg, Whitner called you out...

Donte Whitner loves how people who never played pro football or any sport period blog on sites and talk about players!!!!! lol know the game then critique it not the other way around.....

From his facebook page...

I suppose we should close down TBD because the majority of posters here didn't play pro football. And no one can complain about the front office because no one's been a GM, let alone a scout, pro personnel director or director of college scouting.

I suppose we should close down TBD because the majority of posters here didn't play pro football. And no one can complain about the front office because no one's been a GM, let alone a scout, pro personnel director or director of college scouting.

Point take but what exactly does whining about a player picked 3 years ago accomplish? There's only so many ways you can state that you think it was a bad pick. Whitner is still here, a team leader, and the least of the current Bills' problems.

People just need to move on.

Haha Dawgg, Whitner called you out...

From his facebook page...

Dear Donte,

Make some plays and help your team win instead of missing tackles and getting beat by opposing tight ends.

Sincerely,

Dawgg

Name 10 safeties better than Whitner, because most experts believe he is top 10. He was moved around because we had a lot of injuries at CB, and this move to FS is because the team feels that his roaming capabilities shouldn't be wasted taking on pulling guards in the box. Name me one Tampa 2 team that uses a 350 lbs tackle... oh wait... you can't.

name 10 safetiies that were drafted in the top 10 to make game changing plays...oh wait...you cant...reason being you dont take safeties in the top 10 because they rarely live up to the pick. ed reed was taken somewhere in the 20's and bob sanders i believe was a second rounder.

How goofy is it that Whitner's on FACEBOOK talking trash? Facebook!

About as goofy as grown adults talking about a 24 yo football player drafted 3 years ago on a message board. Especially considering 99% of those people would never say anything to Whitner's face.

Those who say that Whitner is below average really are speaking from a point of view of a bitter fan. He's clearly not one of the best safety's in the game at this point, but he's equally not on the bottom half as well.

He covers and tackles well, but he has lacked playmaking ability. The one common denominator that Reed, Polomalu and Sanders have all had, is a pass rush. Anyone who discounts this, is truly turning a blind eye to the facts.

In Whitner's defense, his role has changed almost every year. From having to play the nickel, to playing in the box, to roaming around out in open field.

Whitner is a multifaceted safety that can play many roles. If the Bills can generate some passrush, I think you will see his playmaking increase dramatically. If they don't, then I think you will see a Whitner that plays well, but little playmaking.

Now that we know Whitner checks in on the forum I have a quick comment:

The criticism from the fans about your play is amplified due the fact hat you were a top 10 pick. We are not questioning your desire or love for football, or even the hard work you put into your profession, but some fans here are simply pointing out the facts. To this point in you career you have not lived up to the expectations of many fans, plain and simple. You are correct that not everyone on this board knows a lot about the X's and O's of football, but many fans do and many of them watch you in person on Sundays, myself included. This is part of what comes with athletes in your profession, you make a good living, but you are open to criticism. Don't worry about what we say, just go out and back up your swagger ON THE FIELD.

Those who say that Whitner is below average really are speaking from a point of view of a bitter fan. He's clearly not one of the best safety's in the game at this point, but he's equally not on the bottom half as well.

He covers and tackles well, but he has lacked playmaking ability. The one common denominator that Reed, Polomalu and Sanders have all had, is a pass rush. Anyone who discounts this, is truly turning a blind eye to the facts.

In Whitner's defense, his role has changed almost every year. From having to play the nickel, to playing in the box, to roaming around out in open field.

Whitner is a multifaceted safety that can play many roles. If the Bills can generate some passrush, I think you will see his playmaking increase dramatically. If they don't, then I think you will see a Whitner that plays well, but little playmaking.

Those who criticize posters who have accepted Whitner as the biggest bust draft pick since Mike Williams are in denial.

How about we get real, stop with the excuse machine and expect him to play the role which he was drafted for, that of an all-pro strong safety. Unfortunately that will never happen since he clearly has the stench of a big bust draft pick. He's a free safety now? What a joke.

Losman, who was drafted at #26 in the first round, was labelled a bust here after his third season. I thought the jury was still out, I was wrong on that. So why doesn't Donte Whitner, who plays a MUCH easier position and was drafted at #8 in the first round, get a pass? Losman was considered a project who was a very risky boom/bust pick, WHITNER WAS SUPPOSED TO BE GREAT THREE FREAKING YEARS AGO! Are you guys afraid he'll drop you from his friends list or something? :thumbsup:

1. john McCargo signed a 5 year 8.6 million dollar deal. Regardless of his play, thats not breaking the bank.

2. Since Daniel Manning is sooooo great, why was he benched as a started last year? You love to pimp the stat that Manning has started 30 game sin 3 years, yet you fail to mention that 29 starts came in his first 2 years. He started 1 game last season out of 14 games played. Why is that? Perhaps the Bears finally realized he isn't very good and looked to replace him.