Whitner as FS

Fingon

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's got the range to do it. I'll be watching to see if he makes more plays on the ball. Keeping him at one position permanently is good for him and the team. He will blosom once he is set at one position.

Hopefully, we won't have to stick him as FS, SS, and CB next year.

Hopefully, we won't have to stick him as FS, SS, and CB next year.

I spoke with Whitner after the Pats game in the hurricane, and he said pressure the QB and the seconday will be fine... Keeping him in one spot is also the right thing to do..

A healthy Schobel and a 1st or 2nd round DE should help.

To bad we might not have either.

Schobel may never return to his pro-bowl form for an entire season, and I do not think the Bills will draft DL on the 1st day.

so the playmaking SS we were told the Bills were getting to play near the line of scrimmage like the way Pitt and Indy play their SS's will be moving to FS

Whitner is a decent yet unspectactular player but is not a playmaker and certainly isnt a game changer

the Bills couldnt stop the run going into that draft but instead of drafting the run stuffing DT they needed and getting a player at the point of attack they draft a SS that is now a FS and they still have trouble stopping the run....yes that pick still bothers me because it was stupid

so the playmaking SS we were told the Bills were getting to play near the line of scrimmage like the way Pitt and Indy play their SS's will be moving to FS

Whitner is a decent yet unspectactular player but is not a playmaker and certainly isnt a game changer

the Bills couldnt stop the run going into that draft but instead of drafting the run stuffing DT they needed and getting a player at the point of attack they draft a SS that is now a FS and they still have trouble stopping the run....yes that pick still bothers me because it was stupid

Whitner is 23 and already a top 10 player at his position... i consider that pretty good. Maybe if we didn't line him up at three positions every year, he would have played one better.

PS: unless we switch to the 3-4, we shouldn't be drafting 350 lbs DTs.

yep... basically said he will make anyone going across the middle of the field pay, while he's at FS.

This tells me that we ARE NOT going to select Malcom Jenkins in the 1st. Jenkins isn't a SS so I think we're out of the woods in that respect. Now, the question becomes who do they have their eye on. Here are the guys I believe we're considering and no they aren't already on the roster.

Sean Smith / S / Utah - He played CB at Utah, but is being deemed a S prospect. He has the size at 6'4" 215lbs. to play SS and has a frame that could handle a few more pounds if he were to try. He's very good in coverage and is a sure tackler. He has good hands and made 5 INT's from the CB position this past season. One would think that he would make even more plays on the ball with the ability to roam in coverage at the S position. The only question mark is how he would hold up against the run.

William Moore / SS / Missouri - Big hitter who also makes plays on the ball. Moore had a tough Senior Bowl week that kinda hurt his stock, but he plays with a mean streak out there and misses very few tackles. I have seen him take some bad angles on occasion though and have a lapse here or there in coverage. You can't really do that in the NFL because it will cost your team.

Chip Vaughn / SS / Wake Forest - His last two seasons have been pretty good for a college SS. His Junior year he had 100 tackles and 14 passes defensed. His Senior year he had 79 tackles, 6 passes defensed, and 2 picks. The guy is 6'2", 220lbs., ran a 4.5 forty time, put up 21 bench reps, a 10'5" broad jump, and performed well in positional drills.

Patrick Chung / SS / Oregon - Another good tackler who sticks his nose in there against the run on a consistent basis. He covers alot of ground and always seems to be around the ball. He's not the most athletically gifted of the S prospects, but he's an intense player who leaves it all on the field.

If Whitner played half as good as he talked himself up the Bills would be a lot better, IMHO. Stats do not lie, the guy has been nothing more than average, and I think that has been disappointing to most fans.

And if you actually still would rather have Donte Whitner over Haloti Ngata you're nuts. I do agree with you on one point, he may not be an ideal fit for our defense, but I still think he'd have a huge impact on our D. He's just the type of player you need to stuff the run, especially when the weather gets nasty in B-Lo and teams can't pass effectively. Which is why I disagree with the entire philospohy of our defense schematically, but that's another argument all together.

Whitner is 23 and already a top 10 player at his position... i consider that pretty good. Maybe if we didn't line him up at three positions every year, he would have played one better.

how exactly are you calculating him to be a top 10 player at his position?

in 13 starts last year he made 61 tackles (ranked 82 for DB's and 27 for SS's) with 1 sack, 1 pass defensed and no interceptions...in his 3 year career he has 254 tackles (104, 89 and 61) with 1 career sack and 2 career interceptions

that doesnt look like top 10 numbers to me

and whats wrong with having 350lb DT's in a 4-3? Jauron had Ted Washington and Keith Traylor playing side by side in Chicago and they were one of the best run defenses in the league

Whitner is 23

Whitner is closer to 24 than 23.

and already a top 10 player at his position...

He's not a top 10 player at his position.

i consider that pretty good.

He's a pretty good talker. His play leaves a lot to be desired. It was clear he was a reach at #8 overall and it's even clearer now.

Maybe if we didn't line him up at three positions every year, he would have played one better.

Maybe if he was able to distinguish himself at any one position, he wouldn't be moved around so much. He was clearly drafted to fill a void at SS after Milloy's release... and by moving him to FS, the team is essentially admitting that he does not fill that void. This is the same front office, the same scouting staff and the same coaching staff that identified him as a strong safety.

That's a crock. If he's a run stuffing tackle, this team can make plenty of use for him.

He's a pretty good talker. His play leaves a lot to be desired. It was clear he was a reach at #8 overall and it's even clearer now.

Maybe if he was able to distinguish himself at any one position, he wouldn't be moved around so much. He was clearly drafted to fill a void at SS after Milloy's release... and by moving him to FS, the team is essentially admitting that he does not fill that void. This is the same front office, the same scouting staff and the same coaching staff that identified him as a strong safety.

That's a crock. If he's a run stuffing tackle, this team can make plenty of use for him.

Not quite, but almost like when Puddinhead Williams got moved from RT to LG in 2005... also in his 4th year in the league. :thumbsup:

This board is in major denial with not even wanting to think about the truth that Donte Whinter's a huge bust. Usually a former top ten first round pick who performs like a mid round pick would get ripped to f'n sheds here. But for some strange and unknown reason, for the most part Whitner escapes the usual tough as nails TSW scrutiny. Yippee, he's a free safety now! :thumbsup: As a former #8th pick, Whitner sucks and the Bills should try to see if they could scam another team's 2nd or 3rd round pick for him.

Name 10 safeties better than Whitner, because most experts believe he is top 10. He was moved around because we had a lot of injuries at CB, and this move to FS is because the team feels that his roaming capabilities shouldn't be wasted taking on pulling guards in the box. Name me one Tampa 2 team that uses a 350 lbs tackle... oh wait... you can't.