Whitner as FS

Fingon

Name 10 safeties better than Whitner, because most experts believe he is top 10. He was moved around because we had a lot of injuries at CB, and this move to FS is because the team feels that his roaming capabilities shouldn't be wasted taking on pulling guards in the box. Name me one Tampa 2 team that uses a 350 lbs tackle... oh wait... you can't.

Jauron played the cover 2 in Chicago with washington and traylor who were both over 350...and what, since the other 2 or 3 teams that play the cover 2 now dont have a 350lb DT and have trouble stopping the run as well means the Bills shouldnt draft one either? thats a bogus argument...and I could care less what Strouds listed weight is he is closer to 350 then 310

are we talking safeties in general or just SS's?

stats are not everything but they do mean something and when 26 other SS's have more tackles then Whitner and he doesnt cause turnovers then he clearly isnt top 10 at his position

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To bad we might not have either.

Schobel may never return to his pro-bowl form for an entire season, and I do not think the Bills will draft DL on the 1st day.

Some Windex on your crystal balls will clear things up. :thumbsup:

Name 10 safeties better than Whitner, because most experts believe he is top 10. He was moved around because we had a lot of injuries at CB, and this move to FS is because the team feels that his roaming capabilities shouldn't be wasted taking on pulling guards in the box. Name me one Tampa 2 team that uses a 350 lbs tackle... oh wait... you can't.

What people here don't seem to get is that he was moved around a lot because he has the talent to play a lot of different positions and somehow they translate that as him sucking. JMO

And if you actually still would rather have Donte Whitner over Haloti Ngata you're nuts. I do agree with you on one point, he may not be an ideal fit for our defense, but I still think he'd have a huge impact on our D. He's just the type of player you need to stuff the run, especially when the weather gets nasty in B-Lo and teams can't pass effectively. Which is why I disagree with the entire philospohy of our defense schematically, but that's another argument all together.

With each game, the 06 draft looks worse. Top 10 picks who are shifted to another position for any reason, be it another player, scheme, whatever is never a good thing.

Anyone worth a shred knows building a defense starts on the DL. But there were people on this board too concerned with protecting Marv Levy and his legacy. The past three seasons have proven Levy's tenure as GM was a failure. These are the same people who fervently believe Whitner was a solid pick, McCargo isn't a bust, and Youboty could be a starter. They don't criticize Dockery too harshly, because it was an "attempt" to solidify the line, even though it cost 20M over 2 seasons for a fat lazy guard.

Those people aren't in abundance like they used to be, but you're right, Ngata was the better pick.

If we can keep him there at FS and FS only, while getting some decent play out of whoever winds up playing SS, I think we're gonna see him play at a high level, blowing up receivers and making more plays on the ball. Remember when he nearly killed Ocho?

Whitner can be our Bob Sanders. Sort of poor man's version until he proves himself undoubtedley.

Whitner can be our Bob Sanders. Sort of poor man's version until he proves himself undoubtedley.

That's great that he showed up to play against the Bengals.

On Monday Night against the Cowboys, he stood around and watched as an onsides kick dribbled right by him. He got steamrolled by Sammy Morris in the game against New England. He got owned by Anthony Fasano in the game against Miami. Against Denver, he whiffed on an INT. Time after time, when the competition gets fierce, Whitner comes up small. Fans gush about his play against the Bengals, and they get a hard-on after he commits a penalty against the Raiders, tackling a guy in the end zone :beer:. More power to them. I'm more interested in seeing how he plays against good competition. Thus far, the verdict isn't good.

Whitner is a phony. He talks a good game, but his play hardly follows suit.

Let's hope he becomes the NFL's best free safety... but something tells me he'll lead the team in media soundbytes, but not much else... the true ballers on this defense are Terrance McGee, Marcus Stroud, and Leodis McKelvin.

I think you guys are cutting down Whitner a little too hard. Its difficult to play in the backfield when your half of your front 7 should be coaching high school football rather than playing in the NFL.

If we get a solid DE with our first pick and Schobel can return to some form of a legitimate player, the backfield will reap the benefits.

Bryan Scott is a solid player and his play at SS will only help the rest of the guys.

very interesting i would love to see him used like a bob sanders type role. move him around and let him make plays with his talent

Sanders is a SS and teams tend to move their SS's around more then their FS's because they are generally closer to the action and thats exactly what we were led to believe the Bills were gonna do with Whitner when they drafted him

playmakers make plays and Whitner is simply not a playmaker

On Monday Night against the Cowboys, he stood around and watched as an onsides kick dribbled right by him. He got steamrolled by Sammy Morris in the game against New England. He got owned by Anthony Fasano in the game against Miami. Against Denver, he whiffed on an INT. Time after time, when the competition gets fierce, Whitner comes up small. Fans gush about his play against the Bengals, and they get a hard-on after he commits a penalty against the Raiders, tackling a guy in the end zone :worthy:. More power to them. I'm more interested in seeing how he plays against good competition. Thus far, the verdict isn't good.

Let's hope he becomes the NFL's best free safety... but something tells me he'll lead the team in media soundbytes, but not much else... the true ballers on this defense are Terrance McGee, Marcus Stroud, and Leodis McKelvin.

Ouch. That's harsh. I felt the end zone tackle was the turning point in that game, though, and I think many would agree. It's not easy to emerge as a player when you're constantly moved around. The guy played SS, FS and CB last year. He's a leader, he plays hard, he has great character, and he actually likes Buffalo.

And it's Terrence, not Terrance. :beer:

On Monday Night against the Cowboys, he stood around and watched as an onsides kick dribbled right by him. He got steamrolled by Sammy Morris in the game against New England. He got owned by Anthony Fasano in the game against Miami. Against Denver, he whiffed on an INT. Time after time, when the competition gets fierce, Whitner comes up small. Fans gush about his play against the Bengals, and they get a hard-on after he commits a penalty against the Raiders, tackling a guy in the end zone :beer:. More power to them. I'm more interested in seeing how he plays against good competition. Thus far, the verdict isn't good.

Dude, your Whitner crusade is getting so old. He has the same numbers as Bob Sanders after 3 seasons and plays in a secondary that has one of the worst pass rushes up front. But this is all you ever post on and it's pretty pathetic. All your constant whining will not change the fact he is a Bill.

All I needed to know about your rational thining about Whitner is you said the unemployed Lawyer Milloy was better than him.

All I needed to know about your rational thining about Whitner is you said the unemployed Lawyer Milloy was better than him.

At 35 last year, Milloy played at a comparable level to a 23-year old Whitner. And that's pretty pathetic given that Whitner is 12 years younger and a top 10 draft selection.

You obviously have no defense for Whitner's sub-par play... and while you feel my crusade is getting old, I find that Whitner's incessant empty talk is getting old.

All I need to know about your rational thought is that you thought McCargo was a good draft choice. :beer:

Dude, your Whitner crusade is getting so old. He has the same numbers as Bob Sanders after 3 seasons

did you bother to notice that Sanders played in 19 less games his first 3 years then Whitner did his first 3 years?

your argument actually makes Whitner look worse

did you bother to notice that Sanders played in 19 less games his first 3 years then Whitner did his first 3 years?

Wow. Thanks for fact checking. There goes that one point that Biscuit has been clinging onto.

What's the next excuse?

You're right. Whitner sucks because he doesn't get injured as much. Great point.