Whitner as FS

Fingon

Think what you want about Whitner, but ANYONE who thinks the move to FS is a result of the FOs dissatisfaction with his play at SS is delusional. Simple matter of him being versatile enough to make the transition to a position that needed an upgrade over Simpson. While I'm not totally sold on Scott as the answer to SS I AM convinced Simpson is NOT in the Bills' plans very much longer. He regressed badly last year while Scott showed enough at SS to convince the FO that moving Whitner to FS was at least feasible. At least in the short term. Also, using Whitner's athleticism at a position that requires more of it is a good move. He'll be allowed to do more things, especially against the pass-happy spread sets we so much of (NE anyone). Don't be surprised if the Bills draft a SS in the 3rd or 4th round to compete with Scott.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those who criticize posters who have accepted Whitner as the biggest bust draft pick since Mike Williams are in denial.

How about we get real, stop with the excuse machine and expect him to play the role which he was drafted for, that of an all-pro strong safety. Unfortunately that will never happen since he clearly has the stench of a big bust draft pick. He's a free safety now? What a joke.

Losman, who was drafted at #26 in the first round, was labelled a bust here after his third season. I thought the jury was still out, I was wrong on that. So why doesn't Donte Whitner, who plays a MUCH easier position and was drafted at #8 in the first round, get a pass? Losman was considered a project who was a very risky boom/bust pick, WHITNER WAS SUPPOSED TO BE GREAT THREE FREAKING YEARS AGO! Are you guys afraid he'll drop you from his friends list or something? :thumbsup:

I will give you credit for one thing.

You are consistantly negative.

have a nice day :wallbash:

This tells me that we ARE NOT going to select Malcom Jenkins in the 1st. Jenkins isn't a SS so I think we're out of the woods in that respect. Now, the question becomes who do they have their eye on. Here are the guys I believe we're considering and no they aren't already on the roster.

Sean Smith / S / Utah - He played CB at Utah, but is being deemed a S prospect. He has the size at 6'4" 215lbs. to play SS and has a frame that could handle a few more pounds if he were to try. He's very good in coverage and is a sure tackler. He has good hands and made 5 INT's from the CB position this past season. One would think that he would make even more plays on the ball with the ability to roam in coverage at the S position. The only question mark is how he would hold up against the run.

William Moore / SS / Missouri - Big hitter who also makes plays on the ball. Moore had a tough Senior Bowl week that kinda hurt his stock, but he plays with a mean streak out there and misses very few tackles. I have seen him take some bad angles on occasion though and have a lapse here or there in coverage. You can't really do that in the NFL because it will cost your team.

Chip Vaughn / SS / Wake Forest - His last two seasons have been pretty good for a college SS. His Junior year he had 100 tackles and 14 passes defensed. His Senior year he had 79 tackles, 6 passes defensed, and 2 picks. The guy is 6'2", 220lbs., ran a 4.5 forty time, put up 21 bench reps, a 10'5" broad jump, and performed well in positional drills.

Patrick Chung / SS / Oregon - Another good tackler who sticks his nose in there against the run on a consistent basis. He covers alot of ground and always seems to be around the ball. He's not the most athletically gifted of the S prospects, but he's an intense player who leaves it all on the field.

Chung is a similar player to Whitner who might be better suited to play FS but he is the type of player I'd like to add to the D. I like Moore too. Both won't go in the 1st or early 2nd and both could be there when we pick in the 3rd

On Whitner: I like the move to FS for him. But I hope he improves some of his decision-making back there because i've seen him make some poor choices before. I think it will allow him to make more of an impact on the game though.

And Polamalu is FS. And he and Sanders are the best DBs in the game today both in the prime of there careers. Its a bit unfair to compare Whitner to them. If he doesn't improve his game over the next couple of seasons then it will be a fair argument.

1. john McCargo signed a 5 year 8.6 million dollar deal. Regardless of his play, thats not breaking the bank.

2. Since Daniel Manning is sooooo great, why was he benched as a started last year? You love to pimp the stat that Manning has started 30 game sin 3 years, yet you fail to mention that 29 starts came in his first 2 years. He started 1 game last season out of 14 games played. Why is that? Perhaps the Bears finally realized he isn't very good and looked to replace him.

The question here is who got the better deal in the trade?

Your points, while valid, don't change the ultimate outcome: that the trade was a disaster for the Bills and the Bears are the clear winners, even with the players they obtained.

I will give you credit for one thing.

You are consistantly negative.

have a nice day :thumbsup:

It's not about being positive or being negative. It's about being both fair and honest in an opinion. Now you obviously think that I'm not being fair to Whitner, but I did give you the Losman comparison to show how overly fair the majority of Bills fans have been to him. He's only just now starting to catch some heat and this was a guy who was picked 16 spots higher than the much debated (a debate I clearly lost) boom/bust project QB. I just don't get the double standard though. Same goes with Jauron, the guy was a six of seven time loser after the 2007 season and I was pleading here that he get fired because it was so painfully obvious that he'd never become a good head coach. But people thought I was crazy to even suggest that Jauron sucked that badly. So during the 2008 season, Ralph gave him a premature contract extension for three more freaking years. To be fair and honest, the Bills are f'd this coming season because Dick Jauron is coaching this team. I'm passionate about this sh_t man. I'm both angry and tired at the continued acceptance of utterly uninspired football. I won't be a truly happy Buffalo Bills fan until that man has coached his last game in Buffalo. Only then will hope be restored at One Bills Drive. It will still be fun to watch the season because even in the worst of seasons I still love the Bills and I still love football.

It's not about being positive or being negative. It's about being both fair and honest in an opinion. Now you obviously think that I'm not being fair to Whitner, but I did give you the Losman comparison to show how overly fair the majority of Bills fans have been to him. He's only just now starting to catch some heat and this was a guy who was picked 16 spots higher than the much debated (a debate I clearly lost) boom/bust project QB. I just don't get the double standard though. Same goes with Jauron, the guy was a six of seven time loser after the 2007 season and I was pleading here that he get fired because it was so painfully obvious that he'd never become a good head coach. But people thought I was crazy to even suggest that Jauron sucked that badly. So during the 2008 season, Ralph gave him a premature contract extension for three more freaking years. To be fair and honest, the Bills are f'd this coming season because Dick Jauron is coaching this team. I'm passionate about this sh_t man. I'm both angry and tired at the continued acceptance of utterly uninspired football. I won't be a truly happy Buffalo Bills fan until that man has coached his last game in Buffalo. Only then will hope be restored at One Bills Drive. It will still be fun to watch the season because even in the worst of seasons I still love the Bills and I still love football.

Even though your are full of crap 99% of the time, every once in a while you make a post that even I can appreciate. No, not your comparison of the Whitner/JP debates but your honest passion about the team. I can respect that.

GO BILLS!!!

Even though your are full of crap 99% of the time, every once in a while you make a post that even I can appreciate. No, not your comparison of the Whitner/JP debates but your honest passion about the team. I can respect that.

GO BILLS!!!

Step off your pedestal, pal.

How often do you hit refresh while staring at Donte's Facebook page? <_<

Your points, while valid, don't change the ultimate outcome: that the trade was a disaster for the Bills and the Bears are the clear winners, even with the players they obtained.

The entire point is that the trade and/or the discussion of picking Ngata instead of Whitner have nothing to do with and are completely separate topics from Whitner's ability to play on the field.

Step off your pedestal, pal.

How often do you hit refresh while staring at Donte's Facebook page? <_<

Never been on Donte's Facebook page. Or anyone else's Facebook page for that matter. And I NEVER step off my pedestal. Too dangerous. I take the Space Shuttle down when I need to.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

This reply is 50% crap. <_<

GO BILLS!!!

Never been on Donte's Facebook page. Or anyone else's Facebook page for that matter. And I NEVER step off my pedestal. Too dangerous. I take the Space Shuttle down when I need to.

GO BILLS!!!

True, that's the beauty of an internet message board.

Even you have a pedestal on which to stand. <_<

This reply is 50% crap. <_<

GO BILLS!!!

Whose reply? Yours or mine? Oh, it must be mine 'cause if it were yours it would be 99% crap.

But, like Yogi always said, "99% of the game is half mental."

GO BILLS!!!

PS: JP makes Dante look like an HOFer. Sorry, couldn't resist.

So a Bears team that starts 2 players that you wanted the Bills drafted finished 7 spots behind the Bills' in defensive ranking and they somehow got a great deal? More great logical from the Dawgg. My actual dog is more interesting to argue with.

To recap: Bears with Dusty and Manning have a worse defense than the Bills

- Milloy plays on a defense that had one of the best pass rush in the NFL while Whitner plays on one with one of the worst and the Bills finished with a much better pass defense, but Milloy is a better player???

- Whitner has about the same stats as Bob Sanders after 3 years (plus is about 2 years younger at the same point of their careers), yet Whitner sucks because he gets injured less.

- As bad as McCargo has been, he has outperformed the great Dusty in every single category.

With that. I'm done. You have absolutely nothing to stand on and it is obvious you have some personal agenda against Whitner. But keeping making illogical arguments about a draft pick that was 3 years ago. <_<

The whole Donte thing is so obvious. The Bills thought they were getting a more physical safety and that is not the case. He can't play in the box because he is constantly washed out of the LOS and as a blitzer, he is a "crumbler". The one thing that bothers me more than anything though is that he doesn't play half as fast as his 40. He was a 4.4 guy, )this should go to show you what that really means) but he has been beatin more than a few times in a foot race.

This gets me back to my point, the Bills know that Donte is limited so they are going to get him away from the LOS and let him play center. My only problem with that is he has shown ZERO ball skills. Regardless of pass rush, instincts and anticipation in the 3 step passing game should get your hand on the ball but in DW's case, it hasn't.

I think DW is a decent player who should own his own PR company when he is done. He is great with the fans and his teammates and that has bought him a lot of patience.

However, responding to his detractors on his Facebook page is bad form. But if Donte stopped talking sh*t he would be the most obscure player on the field.

Actually, I've seen slight glimmers of positivity coming from you, so, maybe I wasn't entirely correct by saying you are consistantly negative. Maybe just %95 of the time.

I never said that Whitner was playing at an elite level, I realize that he has been lacking in the "big play" category. But as I mentioned in a previous post, the elite Safetys are considered to be Reed, Palomalu and Sanders and the one common denominator that those safetys have been afforded is that they are on teams that apply a lot of pressure on the QB, wouldnt you agree?

So don't you think that has something to do with their big play abilities?

Whitner also has played many different roles on defense, right? He has been asked to sometimes play the nickel slot, up in the box for run defense, covering TE's and out in the field in open space. So he has shown that he can do the job, just that he hasn't been a playmaker. If he could get some picks and sacks then I think he will be considered an elite Safety.

But first, we need to get some damn pressure on the QB. Would you agree with that?

So a Bears team that starts 2 players that you wanted the Bills drafted finished 7 spots behind the Bills' in defensive ranking and they somehow got a great deal?

To recap: Bears with Dusty and Manning have a worse defense than the Bills

Let's recap:

By your "logic:"

Since the Bills defense was statistically better than the Panthers defense last season, that means Chris Kelsay is better than Julius Peppers.

Since the Bills defense was statistically better than the Arizona Cardinals defense last season, Poz is better than Karlos Dansby.

To top things off, you're comparing Donte Whitner's stats to Bob Sanders <_< Max already pointed out how stupid your comparison is.

You don't know much about football.. but at least you're a typical fan - who ever said you had to think objectively? Have you bookmarked Donte's Facebook page? Did you write on his Wall? Maybe you "poked" him on Facebook. :thumbsup:

The whole Donte thing is so obvious. The Bills thought they were getting a more physical safety and that is not the case. He can't play in the box because he is constantly washed out of the LOS and as a blitzer, he is a "crumbler". The one thing that bothers me more than anything though is that he doesn't play half as fast as his 40. He was a 4.4 guy, )this should go to show you what that really means) but he has been beatin more than a few times in a foot race.

This gets me back to my point, the Bills know that Donte is limited so they are going to get him away from the LOS and let him play center. My only problem with that is he has shown ZERO ball skills. Regardless of pass rush, instincts and anticipation in the 3 step passing game should get your hand on the ball but in DW's case, it hasn't.

I think DW is a decent player who should own his own PR company when he is done. He is great with the fans and his teammates and that has bought him a lot of patience.

However, responding to his detractors on his Facebook page is bad form. But if Donte stopped talking sh*t he would be the most obscure player on the field.

Great post. Fans like the Biscuit fall for it hook line and sinker! <_<

Outstanding post, that really just about says it all. I don't think he has any more upside at all, what you see is what you'll get. I do think he will have a fairly long career in this league (especially given how young he is), but I don't think he'll ever be anything more than Just Another Guy.

Let's recap:

By your "logic:"

Since the Bills defense was statistically better than the Panthers defense last season, that means Chris Kelsay is better than Julius Peppers.

Since the Bills defense was statistically better than the Arizona Cardinals defense last season, Poz is better than Karlos Dansby.

To top things off, you're comparing Donte Whitner's stats to Bob Sanders <_< Max already pointed out how stupid your comparison is.

You don't know much about football.. but at least you're a typical fan - who ever said you had to think objectively? Have you bookmarked Donte's Facebook page? Did you write on his Wall? Maybe you "poked" him on Facebook. :thumbsup:

I'll put my football knowledge and background playing the game against yours any day of the week.