Peters Update

exactly... Nothing new here at all. I still think the Bills will have an opportunity to sign Peters for that matter.

Tim was adamant that we would not get a first round pick in a trade, now he says we likely can and more which means teams ARE showing a lot of interest. That is an update.

I believe he also was more optimistic about the Bills being able to sign Peters, now he feels its deteriorated where its prob not going to happen. That is an update.

Add that to Buffalo Rumblings who said their sources said things were not going well with Peters, and its looking pretty bleak for the Bills signing him. That is an update.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's new is the background impression that the FO has totally given up on the idea of dealing rationally with Peters. That comes in loud and clear, assuming Tim has a little insider info.

No, you are reaching. Where have you seen reported that the FO has "totally given up" ? There is nothing new in this chat that we all ready havn't heard. The only difference is that Tim a week or two ago said that we probably couldn't get a first and most likely a second and now he believes based on his sources that we could get a 1st and 3rd.

exactly... Nothing new here at all. I still think the Bills will have an opportunity to sign Peters for that matter.

They have had the opportunity to get a deal done for over a year. Peters made it pretty clear last year he wanted a new deal. The two sides cant agree, sorry but at some point you have to start a bidding war for him like Denver did for Cutler. That will be the best way to get the most for him. Come right out like Pat Bowlen did for Denver and say you are seeking a trade for him.

Let Peters go somewhere else and be happy. And Bills can get some young talent. Philly thinks they are a piece or two away from a Super Bowl. McNabb isn't getting any younger nor is Westbrook. Peters could step right in and help solidfy them as an early favorite in the NFC. They would give a 1 and 3 for him.

Tim was adamant that we would not get a first round pick in a trade, now he says we likely can and more which means teams ARE showing a lot of interest. That is an update.

I believe he also was more optimistic about the Bills being able to sign Peters, now he feels its deteriorated where its prob not going to happen. That is an update.

Add that to Buffalo Rumblings who said their sources said things were not going well with Peters, and its looking pretty bleak for the Bills signing him. That is an update.

There is a difference between speculation and reports.

I'm not saying that this trade won't happen, but all we are seeing is speculation. It didn't even say that a trade is likely, all it stated was that the trade value is higher than what he believed it to be from a week or two ago.

Read it again

I think this is all posturing by both sides who want to get a deal done but want it as close to their own terms as they can get. It's like any negotiation with a deadline, nothing gets really serious until the days before. It seems like the Bills have somewhat of a faux deadline set with the draft, because if they want to trade him they need the picks this year. But they don't want to trade him, they just don't want to overpay him. And if they are offering 8.5 mil a year, which VERY likely isn't near their ceiling, they still think he is great.

What they don't want to do is make him the highest paid LT in the game because that is over 11 mil a year. But Peters has little incentive to sign a deal for less than that until right before the draft. That's why it doesn't look good now when the guys with the contacts get the quotes from their sources. Both sides have all kinds of incentives to look like they are holding their ground.

I predict we sign him for around 6-60m in the days or hours before the draft, and everyone says they are thrilled with each other. Peters is a little quirky though, that is their worry, not his play.

No, you are reaching. Where have you seen reported that the FO has "totally given up" ? There is nothing new in this chat that we all ready havn't heard. The only difference is that Tim a week or two ago said that we probably couldn't get a first and most likely a second and now he believes based on his sources that we could get a 1st and 3rd.

I don't have a report. It's called intuition and being able to read between the lines. It's my impression but I'll be astounded if I'm wrong on this call.

C'mon Buffalo give him what he wants. Pro Bowl LT's don't grow on trees. Somebody reported that Spencer Johnson (?) :thumbdown: said Bell is very good but even if that's true Bells untested in actual games.

first of all, Peters did not have a Pro Bowl year this year

Oher from Mississippi could step in and play just as good and most likely better then Peters did last year and could be there at 21 if the Bills happened to get that pick

I dont want to see the Bills give Peters anywhere near what he wants, he is obviously all about money so what happens when he gets it? He isnt now and probably never will be in the class of Pace and Ogden when they were at their best...not that many are

if the Bills could get a 1st and 3rd for Peters they could draft a LT, pay him about 10 mil less a year then Peters and pick up an additional 3rd round pick in the process which they could use to move up, draft or trade for a TE....sounds like a no brainer to me

If the Bills parlay an Undrafted TE into a First Round Pick... they'd better do it.

I think Peters wants out of Buffalo no matter what. He didn't get his extension last season and was a malcontent (by holding out) then responded with a fairly lackluster season and didn't "earn" a trip to the pro-bowl in this fans opinion.

Yes, he's the best LT we've had since the super bowl years... but he wants out, and I say we trade him. I'd rather have a 1st round pick now than have another no-show season with lackluster effort when he does show just to keep his veteran years continuing.

Now, if Peters shows up to the next Offseason workouts, and sticks with the program... I'd say negotiate to get an extension... but that doesn't seem to be the case, and I don't think an extension will keep him happy for the long haul... he'll simply hold out a few years from now when the next LT gets shown the $ and he doesn't feel "appreciated".

Don't mean to be negative... that's just the way I see it. When he's on the top of his game, he's one of the best. But, when he isn't, he's just another malcontent.

I don't have a report. It's called intuition and being able to read between the lines. It's my impression but I'll be astounded if I'm wrong on this call.

ok. That's different. Just that when the original poster posted this chat, people immediately drew conclusions that a new development had occured or that Peters made some sort of a statement saying that he didn't want to be here, or that the Bills FO communicated their frustration or that a team has made a real offer for Peters.

None of those things happened, at least nothing in that chat stated that. So you're intuition may be right, but there wasn't anything in that chat that should of fueled it any further.

I have been going back and forth on this issue so much over the past months......I have finally made up my mind

If you get a 1st and 3rd for the guy you make that deal. The following are my reasons.

- Yes we have the cap space to make this happen......the question is a. Do you want to tie that much up into one player and b. will Ralph even want to do that. He has been REALLY tight this offseason when he should have been trying to make the team better which leads me into my next thought.

- The decision must have been made that we are going to improve the team via the draft....if that is the case then you need as many picks as possible....that is why even if we receive a 1st and 3rd I wouldn't be opposed to trade down AGAIN and get another 2nd or 3rd. This team as it stands right now will NOT contend....if we are not going to open up the wallet to get players to fix that in free agency then this is the only other route.

- If we had 2 ones, 2 seconds, and 2 thirds and we draft correctly we could restock this team with talent.

Move Langston Walker to LT where he did a good job when he moved over, move Chambers to RT, draft a center prospect who can play guard this year.

I've been a huge Peters supporter, but if he's adamant about getting $11M/year and the Bills can get a 1st and 3rd, take it. So the Demetrius Bell era starts early. And the Bills get some picks to help-out the team, instead of a player who has shown in the past that he'll sit-out, even to his own detriment.

Peters is considered a A-hole within the organization, he became one almost instantly after making the probowl. Like a I am a D-head light switch was flipped on. He doesn't follow what people tell him and the team is whatever jersey he has on.

Plan on him being broke within 10 years and a terrible sidenote of trouble on ESPN 8 (the ocho), stupidity seeks it's level over time.

I agree the reason Peters doesn't want to play here is solely based on the money as if we were to give him the money or at least up his salary he'd be more willing to play here. That said if the Bills aren't willing to meet his demands then am all or trading him. Though finding his replacement isn't easy. I"d be in favor of signing a guy like Jonas Jennings before the draft that way we're not forced to draft someone high to replace Peters but if a guy like Michael Oher happened to fall then draft him at #11 if not there then trade down and then use #21 (assuming we trade with Philly) on a LB but with the two USC guys getting busted for drugs might not be worth taking an OLB or possibly Pettigrew but would favor taking a DT like Peria Jerry. As I know many think we need a DE but honestly if Aaron Schobel returns to full strength next year think we good at DE and favor getting some pass rush from the inside and not sold on Kyle Williams as a starting DT.

Like I said in another thread earlier today, Jason Peters does not want to be a Buffalo Bill UNLESS He is the top paid LT in Football...That's all there is to it...

I think this situation was forever damaged during the Holdout last Season...I think Peters was shocked at the way The Bills handled it...And all The Bills were saying over and over again was simple...Get in here with Your Teammates and show Us You wanna be here...I think Peters thought that approach was insulting...I really get the feeling He was shocked The Bills did not step up to extend Him immediately...It's just a gut feeling I get...It shows how much He understood, or cared, when He failed to show up to voluntaries this Year...I knew as soon as I heard that he was pretty much done in Buffalo...He has not changed His stance one bit...

I'm sure JP's Agents are making it clear to Him that another Team will pony up the cash...And I'm pretty sure they are right too...A Trade is the only logical way out here...And I do believe The Bills will get a 1st Round Pick out of some Team...

It's a rediculous situation though...I think both sides are a bit at fault here...I think Peters is being a complete selfish ass, and I think had The Bills approached Him after the 2007 Season for an Extention they could have got Peters at a bargain rate...I also think the fact that The Bills spent HUGE cash on 2 DE's that are no where near as good at their Position as Peters is at His had something to do with this whole mess going bad...I could be wrong about that though...Who knows? All I know for certain is that Peters is all but done in Buffalo and now the Bills have a MASSIVE hole on their O-Line once again...Oh joy! :thumbdown:

So it looks like Peters wants out of Buffalo, and there must be enough interest because Tim now says we can get first and third picks. He also mentions TE is a priority for the Bills.

Guess its not if, but when Peters will be traded.

W-S, NC: Tim, if the Bills should trade Peters, which team do you think would be most interested and what's fair compensation?

SportsNation Tim Graham: (3:37 PM ET ) Philly is mentioned most often because of their need and the fact they have the picks. A first-rounder and a third-rounder could get it done.

John(Buffalo): So basically you see the Buffalo Bills trading LT Jason Peters? Will we get a 1st rd pick for him atleast?

SportsNation Tim Graham: (3:40 PM ET ) I do see Peters bringing back a first-rounder. I wasn't convinced a few weeks ago, but the more people I speak with about it, the more that seems probable.

Robert (Latrobe, PA): So who will be stepping in for Peters after his probable trade?

SportsNation Tim Graham: (3:44 PM ET ) Excellent question. We're still trying to find out who'll be replacing Derrick Dockery. But this situation is evolving into a situation where the Bills have no choice. This isn't a decision that hinges on who the replacement will be.

char (NJ): if chad johnson was forced to stay in cincy...can't the bills use that as an example and force peters to stay?

SportsNation Tim Graham: (4:05 PM ET ) I have the strong impression Peters doesn't care about other examples. He's doing his thing.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=25771

the guy is a dumb as- blogger and knows jack sh-t about the inner workings of the bills.

the guy is a dumb as- blogger and knows jack sh-t about the inner workings of the bills.

I have to disagree with you. Tim is very good at what he does and doesn't seem to pass wild speculation. He has a lot of fans on this board and I am one of them.

A young pro bowl LT with his talent is certainly ALWAYS going to garner AT LEAST a 1st round pick. It didn't take Tim or any other source to tell us that. He's worth both the Eagle's picks for sure IMO but that's another "Discussion".