Peters Update

Who cares about Pro Bowls

Peters is overrated and will be overpaid if we let him stay

TAKE THE PICKS BUFFALO!!!!!!!!!!!!

At this point I agree, get as much as the Bills can for Peters in picks. Something along the lines of a 1st and 3rd or 4th this year and a second in the 2010 draft might work. I go to every home game and at the end of the year Peters didn't have "it"; there was nothing left in the tank. He's a Pro and it was his responsibility to report in game shape. He made the decision to skip training camp and IMHO while Peters did give up some sacks his greatest ineptitude was in the running game. Tired legs=no push

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He doesn't want to be here translates into holding out till halfway in the season and then playing like crap again. Take the picks.

Where is the link/quote that Jason Peters says "he doesn't want to be here"? Why are you and The Drizz trying to kick this guy out of Buffalo. So he held out last year. Let it go fellas.

If there are any Trent Edwards fans out there that want to see him succeed, then the Bills better sign Jason Peters to protect his blindside. We've all seen as Bills fans what a bad offensive line can do to a QB's psyche. The Bills can't afford to waste picks on unproven OT's. How soon have you all forgotten Mike Williams. He was a can't miss prospect that missed. We have a tackle that was voted to the Pro Bowl twice by his peers. Lock him up.

If there are any Trent Edwards fans out there that want to see him succeed, then the Bills better sign Jason Peters to protect his blindside. We've all seen as Bills fans what a bad offensive line can do to a QB's psyche. The Bills can't afford to waste picks on unproven OT's. How soon have you all forgotten Mike Williams. He was a can't miss prospect that missed. We have a tackle that was voted to the Pro Bowl twice by his peers. Lock him up.

Exactly. Not to mention we have TO for one year. It would be criminally stupid to have a one year window to have an explosive offense, and then go into it with NO proven offensive linemen, unless you want to call Langston Walker who is pretty good, proven.

It still kills me that a majority of fans here don't see the irony in the idea that if we, say, trade him to the Eagles, who have better talent evaluators than we do, they would be willing to part with a #1, a #3, AND pay Peters $10-11 mil a year, but we shouldnt because he's no good. That's hysterical.

Whether you think Peters is god's gift to football or a total bag of poo, you don't reward players who don't show a total commitment to your team. Period.

PTR

Thank You!! finally somebody uses some sense, no matter how athletic and upside he has, he is far out weighed by the distractions he is

i know stats are misleading and extremely hard to quantify for offensive linemen but this old article sheds a little light

http://walterfootball.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7358

just keep looking you will find his name at the bottom!!

I am not saying he is the second comming of Christ. But Tim did break the T.O signing on here i think about a half hour before anyone else. So the guy does have some cred.

We aren't getting both Phillys firsts, unless they dont want them because of monetary reasons. Which i cant believe that is the case.

Phillys first pick in round one and then there third would suit me just fine. You would then have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. Could get 3 starters. With two of them being immediate impact type players. And two more that could be quality depth developing into starters for next year.

I don't want the deal to "suit me", I want a good deal for the 2nd most important position on the field. If Philly wants him I ask for both their 1's. I settle for their best #1 and their #2. No worse a deal than this.

Guest dog14787
Thank You!! finally somebody uses some sense, no matter how athletic and upside he has, he is far out weighed by the distractions he is

i know stats are misleading and extremely hard to quantify for offensive linemen but this old article sheds a little light

http://walterfootball.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7358

just keep looking you will find his name at the bottom!!

Trent Edwards getting slammed to the ground like a rag doll might not seem like a distraction to you, but it bugs the hell out of me and decisions like this could help ruin a young and promising QB's career so I hope our FO thinks long and hard about this one.

He just got picked for the Pro bowl the 2nd year in a row, geeesh!!! , as much as I dislike JP pay him what he's worth :devil:

i'm so sick of this peice of sh*t named jason peters. trade his self over valued azz for a 1st and a 3rd. hopefully detroit will give us there second first round pick and their first pick in the 3rd round. send him to a horrible team and make his life a living hell.

Trent Edwards getting slammed to the ground like a rag doll might not seem like a distraction to you, but it bugs the hell out of me and decisions like this could help ruin a young and promising QB's career so I hope our FO thinks long and hard about this one.

He just played in the Pro bowl, geeesh!!! , as much as I dislike the jerk, pay him what he's worth :devil:

Well, actually, he didn't ...

[/nitpicking]

So it looks like Peters wants out of Buffalo, and there must be enough interest because Tim now says we can get first and third picks. He also mentions TE is a priority for the Bills.

Guess its not if, but when Peters will be traded.

W-S, NC: Tim, if the Bills should trade Peters, which team do you think would be most interested and what's fair compensation?

SportsNation Tim Graham: (3:37 PM ET ) Philly is mentioned most often because of their need and the fact they have the picks. A first-rounder and a third-rounder could get it done.

John(Buffalo): So basically you see the Buffalo Bills trading LT Jason Peters? Will we get a 1st rd pick for him atleast?

SportsNation Tim Graham: (3:40 PM ET ) I do see Peters bringing back a first-rounder. I wasn't convinced a few weeks ago, but the more people I speak with about it, the more that seems probable.

Robert (Latrobe, PA): So who will be stepping in for Peters after his probable trade?

SportsNation Tim Graham: (3:44 PM ET ) Excellent question. We're still trying to find out who'll be replacing Derrick Dockery. But this situation is evolving into a situation where the Bills have no choice. This isn't a decision that hinges on who the replacement will be.

char (NJ): if chad johnson was forced to stay in cincy...can't the bills use that as an example and force peters to stay?

SportsNation Tim Graham: (4:05 PM ET ) I have the strong impression Peters doesn't care about other examples. He's doing his thing.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=25771

I am changing my opinion on Peters. I now think he is the best Left Tackle in the League. Because he is such a great player The Bills need Two first round picks to give him up.

At the least a frist and a second this year and another 3rd maybe a 4 next year.

If fact at minimum it should be a Lawrence Welk deal . You know a 1 an a 2 an a 3.

Congrats to the front office on this one you turned a free agent pile of lard into a number one pick that is what I call leveraging your assets!

If Peter's wasn't asking to be paid the highest at his position, then I would say pay the man, but it appears that he is. I understand that it's a business, but the guy just comes off as ungrateful considering what the Bills did for him. I also just don't like the way he is handling this. It's pre-draft and we are talking about this again just after last year. I'm sorry, but trade him.

I think Chambers (was it Chambers?) did a good enough job their last year and if we can get a 1st and a 3rd for him, then do it. This is a very heavy tackle draft. Even if we used on of our 1 rounders to get a replacement, we will pay him a hell of a lot less and have him for 4-5 years. Then, we could definitely get that LB or TE in the 3rd we all have been clamoring for. Or, on the flip, if the depth really is that good at Tackle, then imagine being able to get Maybin and Pettigrew in the first. Mack in the second. And then whatever tackle and guard is there in the 3rd.

I would feel pretty good about that.

what if we trade peters to philly for there first and a third. We could get Everette Brown or Aaron Maybin at 11. And with phillys 21st pick we could get Brandon Pettigrew.and the second round we either take the best DT or the best OL avaliable

He is really overrated and if he doesn't want to be here get rid of him.

He is considered the Best Tackle in football by many people who know more about the sport than the collective minds on this board.

what if we trade peters to philly for there first and a third. We could get Everette Brown or Aaron Maybin at 11. And with phillys 21st pick we could get Brandon Pettigrew.and the second round we either take the best DT or the best OL avaliable

AND HAVE A GLARING HOLE AT LEFT TACKLE. BAD PLAN. Sorry i would take one proven guy over 3 maybes any day of the week.

I don't want the deal to "suit me", I want a good deal for the 2nd most important position on the field. If Philly wants him I ask for both their 1's. I settle for their best #1 and their #2. No worse a deal than this.

You probably arent going to get more then that. Just saying. And the extra third would help, maybe you could send it and a later pick to Denver for the TE Scheffler. Whe i say suits me just fine is because i like it a lot better then the alternative. Peters sitting out another whole offseason. Showing up at some point out of shape and a waste. Sounds more and more like he doesn't want to be in Buffalo. Get the most you can get for him. And i say get it done sooner rather then later. That way you can start to plan your draft better. Also maybe pull of the above mentioned trade. What you want and what you can have are two different things. And that is your opinion about it being the second most important position on the field. Cards made it to the Super Bowl this year with Gandy. Yeah he did get worked in the SB but i think all of us here would settle for a playoff apperance sometime this decade.

The problem is that if we ONLY are getting draft picks in exchange for our starting LT, in essence it condemns us to rolling the dice on finding a starting LT in the draft.

This might happen, (see Clady last year who had a great season at LT after being taken at #12) but though this might happen, unfortunately the norm is that its a 50/50 shot at a first round draft picked turning out to be a starter even after a full season.

The facts simply are that one is almost just as likely to find a career bust like Mike Williams or a first year failure like McKinnie even from a top ten choice, The Bills might choose to roll the dice on a later first rounder being their starter at LT but as Peters is under contract likely going with the devil you know rather than banking on the devil you don't know sound much more sensible (and frankly much more Bills like in the Dick Jauron comfortable shoes way when tend to approach things.

Maybe the TO trade is some type of sign that the "new" Bills are risktakers. I doubt it sense the probable condemnation of the Bills OL to a learning year in 09 is so likely even if the draftee turns out to be a good choice for his career, what we are talking about:

1. Making guarding TEs blindside and an experiment we are willing to take despite the huge investment we are making for him as the leader of the O.

2. Making our offense less effective in the passing attack when we just signed TO with only a one year guarantee of having him.

3. Planning on delivering an SB to Ralph sometime in the future seems a pretty risky proposition.

All of this adds up to me of the Bills in now way committing to the draft as the way we are going to build an OL.

I'm sure those who have drunk the Mel Kiper and fantasy league Kool-Aid which leads to the unfactual thought that the draft is going to be an immediate solution to all problems (it is the best long-term solution by far, but the hyoe on TE, the contract of TO and Ralph's age all point to the import of the Bills producing the goods in the short term.

Like it or not the future is now and the fact the Bills only even have a credible Plan B for a few games if Peters were to go down (I doubt the Walker to LT and Chambers to RT attempt can be something you want to use for 3 games max) means I think it is far more likely they show him the money and sign him long term. He definitely has flaws but I think we will chose the devil we know rather than roll the dice on the devil they don't know.

no way. if the bills trade peters they need to draft the most talented offensive tackle left at 11.