Peters Update

I don't doubt Tim's views.

The way I interpreted that, was more of what his sources believe Peters trade value is. Not so much that there is likely to be a trade. There is a difference. He could be talking to his contacts and getting a feel for Peters value, that doesn't mean that he is speaking with sources from the possible trade suitors. There is a big difference.

Now, my reading comprehension may be failing me, and I don't mean that in a sarcastic way. Could you please show me the quote where you interpreted Tims View in yesterday's chat that makes you think that a trade is going to happen.

The only update that I recieved out of yesterdays chat, was the change in perception that Tim had for Peters trade value.

Why I think a trade is going to happen?

First question in Mark Gaughan's chat yesterday:

11:02

[Comment From DF]

Do the Bills trade Peters. Yes or No?

11:03

Yes.

Tim yesterday:

SportsNation Tim Graham: (3:44 PM ET ) Excellent question. We're still trying to find out who'll be replacing Derrick Dockery. But this situation is evolving into a situation where the Bills have no choice. This isn't a decision that hinges on who the replacement will be.

SportsNation Tim Graham: (4:05 PM ET ) I have the strong impression Peters doesn't care about other examples. He's doing his thing.

Buffalo Rumblings source this week:

"1) Let's just say the Bills think that their star left tackle not only will stay out of the spring conditioning program, but also the OTAs, and training camp come summer. Let's just also say that they think there is an excellent chance he won't come in for the 2009 season until the tenth game - thus not losing a FA year. Let's just also say that he is demanding he be the highest-paid LT in the NFL and won't budge on this in their salary negotiations. What do you think they should do, or plan to do?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why I think a trade is going to happen?

First question in Mark Gaughan's chat yesterday:

11:02

[Comment From DF]

Do the Bills trade Peters. Yes or No?

11:03

Yes.

Tim yesterday:

SportsNation Tim Graham: (3:44 PM ET ) Excellent question. We're still trying to find out who'll be replacing Derrick Dockery. But this situation is evolving into a situation where the Bills have no choice. This isn't a decision that hinges on who the replacement will be.

SportsNation Tim Graham: (4:05 PM ET ) I have the strong impression Peters doesn't care about other examples. He's doing his thing.

Buffalo Rumblings source this week:

"1) Let's just say the Bills think that their star left tackle not only will stay out of the spring conditioning program, but also the OTAs, and training camp come summer. Let's just also say that they think there is an excellent chance he won't come in for the 2009 season until the tenth game - thus not losing a FA year. Let's just also say that he is demanding he be the highest-paid LT in the NFL and won't budge on this in their salary negotiations. What do you think they should do, or plan to do?

I wasn't talking about Gaughan. Even though that was just an opinion of his. "Do you think he will get traded, yes or no?"

He only had 2 choices. He thinks he will get traded. That isn't an update, that's his opinion.

Regarding Tim Grahm, "I have the strong impression Peters doesn't care about other examples. He's doing his thing".

That's not an update. That's an observation

BuffaloRumblings.

Well

Let's just say that it is just speculation.

But do you catch my drift in what I am saying? Everything you just put out there, is nothing other than a persons' opinion. No reports, no updates, as you put it, just opinions.

Remember, they are in a chat room, people ask them questions, they give their opinions. Yes or No, well, you have to pick one.

I am not saying that Peters is going to remain a Bill. I am hopeful. At least Tim's sources now tell him that his trade value is more in line with what we had thought originally.

But as of now, nothing in that chat is new.

The Pace signing with Chicago was the best thing that could have happened for Buffalo. Pace stated he did recieve an offer from Philly. Philly seems like they would be the most obivious choice. Bills get best LT on board at 11. Use the extra third in a trade with Denver for Schefler. Go defensive front seven with second first rounder and second round pick. Then get another interior lineman in the third. Ah one can dream.

I agree. This would be the most ideal scenario. Hopefully we would be able to get Philadelphia's earlier pick at #21, but if they include a 3rd as well, we would probably receive their 2nd pick in the 1st round at #28. Our draft could look something like this:

#11: T, Andre Smith, ALA

#28: DE, either Michael Johnson or Robert Ayers

#42: OLB, Clint Simtin, UVA

#75: OG, Herman Johnson, LSU

#85 (from Philadelphia): Trade it to the Broncos for TE, Tony Scheffler

We would get our replacement for Peters who would be a rookie, but based on Peters performance last year, Smith could equal Peters performance or better it. We would get our pass catching TE. Some depth at LB. Dockery's replacement at LG. And help at DE.

I wasn't talking about Gaughan. Even though that was just an opinion of his. "Do you think he will get traded, yes or no?"

Regarding Tim Grahm, "I have the strong impression Peters doesn't care about other examples. He's doing his thing". That's not an update.

BuffaloRumblings.

Well

Let's just say that it is just speculation.

But do you catch my drift in what I am saying? Everything you just put out there, is nothing other than a persons' opinion. No reports, no updates, as you put it, just opinions.

Remember, they are in a chat room, people ask them questions, they give their opinions. Yes or No, well, you have to pick one.

I am not saying that Peters is going to remain a Bill. I am hopeful. At least Tim's sources now tell him that his trade value is more in line with what we had thought originally.

But as of now, nothing in that chat is new.

Actually Gaughan was asked "Do the Bills trade Peters, yes or no?" not does he think he'll be traded. I'd say that pretty much means the Bills are likely to trade him.

I get what you're saying, but I didn't say he was 100% being traded which is what you're looking for and I never claimed. I said it looks like he's going to be traded as all signs are pointing in that direction. I haven't seen one article or opinion saying the Bills are likely to resign Peters the last two weeks.

Again, what's new is that Tim in previous chats has never mentioned the trade being likely like he has this time. That is new.

I agree. This would be the most ideal scenario. Hopefully we would be able to get Philadelphia's earlier pick at #21, but if they include a 3rd as well, we would probably receive their 2nd pick in the 1st round at #28. Our draft could look something like this:

#11: T, Andre Smith, ALA

#28: DE, either Michael Johnson or Robert Ayers

#42: OLB, Clint Simtin, UVA

#75: OG, Herman Johnson, LSU

#85 (from Philadelphia): Trade it to the Broncos for TE, Tony Scheffler

We would get our replacement for Peters who would be a rookie, but based on Peters performance last year, Smith could equal Peters performance or better it. We would get our pass catching TE. Some depth at LB. Dockery's replacement at LG. And help at DE.

That is exactly my point. Turn the negative Peters situation into three starters next year. God knows we need an upgrade of talent in more then one position. I would love to have a LT with Peters talent but w/o his attitude. Saying that i am not 100% sold on Andre Smith. Yes i think he has the talent, but am a little concerned about his thought process. For me i like the kid Oher. Then Robinson in the second. You would have a very young talented Oline for years. With Bell possibly developing into your RT of the future. You already have Butler who when healthy is good. And i think Hangartner will be very solid and a big upgrade over what we watched last year.

The Peters trade gives the flexibility to pick up the pass catching TE Scheffler with your extra third. Might have to throw in a fith this year. But i would be ok with that. And it would leave you your second first round pick and your third round pick to upgrade the D. This too me would be a perfect scenario.

I just wonder what Peters has to say before people will understand he doesn't like it in Buffalo. Maybe when he pulls a 'Willis' and shoots his mouth off about Toronto.

Trent Edwards getting slammed to the ground like a rag doll might not seem like a distraction to you, but it bugs the hell out of me and decisions like this could help ruin a young and promising QB's career so I hope our FO thinks long and hard about this one.

He just got picked for the Pro bowl the 2nd year in a row, geeesh!!! , as much as I dislike JP pay him what he's worth :devil:

Thanks, you just convinced me. I don't want Trent getting slammed to the ground like a rag doll, so lets trade the LT that gave up the most sacks in the league last year.

There is no denying his talent, but I'm sick of his game. Let him be another teams headache. I want players that buy into the team, especially linemen.

Thanks, you just convinced me. I don't want Trent getting slammed to the ground like a rag doll, so lets trade the LT that gave up the most sacks in the league last year.

There is no denying his talent, but I'm sick of his game. Let him be another teams headache. I want players that buy into the team, especially linemen.

Well said! :devil:

Thank You!! finally somebody uses some sense, no matter how athletic and upside he has, he is far out weighed by the distractions he is

i know stats are misleading and extremely hard to quantify for offensive linemen but this old article sheds a little light

http://walterfootball.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7358

just keep looking you will find his name at the bottom!!

Says the fan of a team that just signed TO....

McNally called Peters the best player he had coached since Anthony Munoz. So yeah.. Lets trade him. I cant wait for all the posts during the season in which blast the bills for not having a offensive line. Ohh but the draft picks.. Yep.. I mean the guys we have picked over the years have been brilliant... It is the main reason we have made the playoffs.. Ohhh wait..

You trade Peters for picks and you have to basically suck up the fact that TO was signed purely for marketting. The Bills will not make the playoffs again.... And that we are playing for a few years from now. Again.

Agreed although there are Peters apologists on this board who will say that it is not an official stat or that Peters got credited with Dockery's horrible play even though I recall reading that Dockery allowed an equal amount of sacks.

The Bills left side was horrible last year, it's not going to be hard to replace both of them with guys who will allow less than 30 collective sacks.

Getting a first and third for Peters is golden, take it ASAP.

McNally called Peters the best player he had coached since Anthony Munoz. So yeah.. Lets trade him. I cant wait for all the posts during the season in which blast the bills for not having a offensive line. Ohh but the draft picks.. Yep.. I mean the guys we have picked over the years have been brilliant... It is the main reason we have made the playoffs.. Ohhh wait..

You trade Peters for picks and you have to basically suck up the fact that TO was signed purely for marketting. The Bills will not make the playoffs again.... And that we are playing for a few years from now. Again.

Did I miss last season or something because the Jason Peters that I saw was an absolute joke.

No one denies that Peters has talent, it's the complete lack of applying this talent that should worry every fan.

Oh, ok. Lets just let him hold the organization hostage every year. I think his value is as high as it will ever be right now. Talent isn't everything.

some of you guys make me laugh.

there have been plenty of big time expensive big men that had all the talent in the world, and never amounted to jack.

peters sucked the bag against miami, he was one on one vs porter and got SMOKED to allow a safety. you guys (bill in nyc) are all over gandy for getting beat in the super bowl vs the number 1 d in the nfl (while still throwing for over 400 yards) but think peters is good enough while getting trashed in our own division? he's not consistent enough to get #1 lineman in the nfl money.

i'd like to keep him, but it isn't like he's made us a top 20 even offense.

Guest dog14787
Did I miss last season or something because the Jason Peters that I saw was an absolute joke.

No one denies that Peters has talent, it's the complete lack of applying this talent that should worry every fan.

He was voted two years in a row by his peers as a Pro bowl caliber player so Peters must be applying his talent somewhere because anybody that knows talent realizes Jason Peters is a one hell of a football player. Folks have to realize that for Trent Edwards to be successful this coming up season, he has to be protected properly, I cannot stress it enough, the O-line has to come first when building a championship caliber offense, it all starts with the line.

Does Jason Peters have the best character? no he does not, now that's another story...

Can't wait make him sit and rot? We discovered his sorry fat ass can't we tell him no more money and then if he holds out keep him the pup list so he doesn't get credit for the year. Couldn't we technically ruin his career if he refuses to perform. I would take that over the draft picks at this point because this guy has NO SENSE OF LOYALTY! I know I sound like a prick but to me it is one of those "I brought you into to this world, I can take you out" situations.

He was voted two years in a row by his peers as a Pro bowl caliber player so Peters must be applying his talent somewhere because anybody that knows talent realizes Jason Peters is a one hell of a football player. Folks have to realize that for Trent Edwards to be successful this coming up season, he has to be protected properly, I cannot stress it enough, the O-line has to come first when building a championship caliber offense, it all starts with the line.

Does Jason Peters have the best character? no he does not, now that's another story...

His talent is being a name LT. That's all. Pro Bowl voting, especially for the O-line is a joke. That's how Rueben Brown got voted in many times even when he didn't deserve it. Once you get voted in, you tend to get repeat votes because your rep is set, not because you're scary awesome.

Stop paying attention to the media hype and use your eyes and common sense. LT's who give up 10+ sacks are not worth to be paid $12M/yr. Especially ones who f**k their teams over holding out with 3 years left on their deals.

PTR

Whether you think Peters is god's gift to football or a total bag of poo, you don't reward players who don't show a total commitment to your team. Period.

PTR

Best post I've seen yet about Jason Peters. The guy has shown zero committment or appreciation to Buffalo. $11MM a year for a guy who's spent half his career either half assing it, hurt or out of shape from a holdout is not the way to build a contender.

And the Bills should absolutely hold out for more than a 1 and a 3. They have nothing to lose by standing firm on a high asking price.

My take on this situation is that the Bills should grant Peters his wish. Take the best deal you can get for the guy. This is a great deal for Buffalo. The guy was undrafted and now they can get a first round and maybe a third or fourth! He does not want to play in Buffalo unless he calls the shots. Get rid of his attitude. Now, sign Jon Runyan from Philly. He is a monster stud who can still play at a high level. Pay him what the Bears paid Pace (since we lost out on him), 3 years/$15 million. Buffalo needs to protect Edwards left side and Runyan, who has not missed a game in 9 years is a great addition to the Bills front line. Does anybody have Brandon's telephone number?