Peters Update

the guy is a dumb as- blogger and knows jack sh-t about the inner workings of the bills.

Actually, the guy is a credentialed sports writer who covered an NFL beat before joining the four-letter, and just spent some quality time with both Russ Brandon and Dick Jauron at the league meetings, but thanks for playing.

And he's not the only one beginning to think it's going to end this way.

First question in Mark Gaughan's chat this morning: Do the Bills trade Peters, yes or no? Answer: yes.

And this from Sal Maiorana, a couple of weeks ago:

Leading off with some thoughts on Jason Peters. My colleague in Buffalo, Mark Gaughan, wrote a story today that said the Bills and Peters are far apart in the renegotiation of the left tackle’s contract. Aren’t we all a little sick of this nonsense? I know stud left tackles don’t grow on trees, but if the Bills can’t get this deal done before the draft, I think they should seriously consider trading him.

His stock is high because he’s coming off back-to-back Pro Bowl seasons, even though you can’t convince me that he deserved it in 2008. And they could parlay a Peters trade into a nice package of draft picks, and maybe even get a decent NFL veteran in return. Hey, Philadelphia is looking to replace Tra Thomas and the Eagles have two first-round picks. I’m just saying that if Peters is going to pull the same crap and skip all of the off-season, mini-camp and training camp, and maybe still end up breaking the bank, the Bills ought to rid themselves of the headache.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the guy is a dumb as- blogger and knows jack sh-t about the inner workings of the bills.

Tim is a very well respected member of TSW, and he happens to be an extremely nice person. Not to mention he is very good at his job, and always has highly insightful articles. Also, there are very few sports writers who actually interact with the fan bases of the teams they cover (this alone makes him better than anyone at the Buffalo News).

Tim is a very well respected member of TSW, and he happens to be an extremely nice person. Not to mention he is very good at his job, and always has highly insightful articles. Also, there are very few sports writers who actually interact with the fan bases of the teams they cover (this alone makes him better than anyone at the Buffalo News).

Even Sully acknowledged Tim has great sources.

Actually, Fingon, the guys at The News are getting really good about doing their chats and answering e-mails. Fans in some other cities aren't seeing anywhere near that level of interaction. So while I'll thank both Tim and John Wawrow profusely for deciding to become more than lurkers here, I do also have to commend the News staffers for their efforts.

Actually, Fingon, the guys at The News are getting really good about doing their chats and answering e-mails. Fans in some other cities aren't seeing anywhere near that level of interaction. So while I'll thank both Tim and John Wawrow profusely for deciding to become more than lurkers here, I do also have to commend the News staffers for their efforts.

I love Sully Chat, especially when he's in a bad mood. Didn't see a Gaughn chat today though?

Fridays are the highlight of the week with Tim and Sully chats.

I am not saying he is the second comming of Christ. But Tim did break the T.O signing on here i think about a half hour before anyone else. So the guy does have some cred.

We aren't getting both Phillys firsts, unless they dont want them because of monetary reasons. Which i cant believe that is the case.

Phillys first pick in round one and then there third would suit me just fine. You would then have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. Could get 3 starters. With two of them being immediate impact type players. And two more that could be quality depth developing into starters for next year.

Like I said in another thread earlier today, Jason Peters does not want to be a Buffalo Bill UNLESS He is the top paid LT in Football...That's all there is to it...

I think this situation was forever damaged during the Holdout last Season...I think Peters was shocked at the way The Bills handled it...And all The Bills were saying over and over again was simple...Get in here with Your Teammates and show Us You wanna be here...I think Peters thought that approach was insulting...I really get the feeling He was shocked The Bills did not step up to extend Him immediately...It's just a gut feeling I get...It shows how much He understood, or cared, when He failed to show up to voluntaries this Year...I knew as soon as I heard that he was pretty much done in Buffalo...He has not changed His stance one bit...

I'm sure JP's Agents are making it clear to Him that another Team will pony up the cash...And I'm pretty sure they are right too...A Trade is the only logical way out here...And I do believe The Bills will get a 1st Round Pick out of some Team...

It's a rediculous situation though...I think both sides are a bit at fault here...I think Peters is being a complete selfish ass, and I think had The Bills approached Him after the 2007 Season for an Extention they could have got Peters at a bargain rate...I also think the fact that The Bills spent HUGE cash on 2 DE's that are no where near as good at their Position as Peters is at His had something to do with this whole mess going bad...I could be wrong about that though...Who knows? All I know for certain is that Peters is all but done in Buffalo and now the Bills have a MASSIVE hole on their O-Line once again...Oh joy! :ph34r:

KOK, I'm really getting that 2001 OL feeling right now, especially if/when Butler gets hurt and if/when Hangartner ends up being another Billy Conaty. Too bad Corey Hulsey is out of the league. :devil:

eta: 2001, not 2000 doh

I love Sully Chat, especially when he's in a bad mood. Didn't see a Gaughn chat today though?

Fridays are the highlight of the week with Tim and Sully chats.

Evil Sully would probably tell you to get a life, if his chats are a highlight of your week ... :devil:

The real Sully would more likely thank you for reading.

Gaughan's chat from this morning: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/200...-live-chat.html

KOK, I'm really getting that 2000 OL feeling right now, especially if/when Butler gets hurt and if/when Hangartner ends up being another Billy Conaty. Too bad Corey Hulsey is out of the league. :devil:

Its only a massive hole if they dont address it in the draft properly. Plus i also am drinking the Kool Aide about Bell. I think he migh tbe the mystery piece.

The Bills will definetly draft an offesive lineman in the first round or two.

If the Bills don't get at least a mid-level first rounder plus a 3rd, they should hold on to Peters this year and try it all again next year. Peters is better than a single draft prospect and he's still under contract for two more years. If Peters holds out until week 10, he will cost the Bills just over $1M this season. The Bills can probably get a roster exemption. Otherwise the Bills can expect a repeat of last season for just over $3M. His trade value should be about the same next year.

If the Bills parlay an Undrafted TE into a First Round Pick... they'd better do it.

I think Peters wants out of Buffalo no matter what. He didn't get his extension last season and was a malcontent (by holding out) then responded with a fairly lackluster season and didn't "earn" a trip to the pro-bowl in this fans opinion.

Yes, he's the best LT we've had since the super bowl years... but he wants out, and I say we trade him. I'd rather have a 1st round pick now than have another no-show season with lackluster effort when he does show just to keep his veteran years continuing.

Now, if Peters shows up to the next Offseason workouts, and sticks with the program... I'd say negotiate to get an extension... but that doesn't seem to be the case, and I don't think an extension will keep him happy for the long haul... he'll simply hold out a few years from now when the next LT gets shown the $ and he doesn't feel "appreciated".

Don't mean to be negative... that's just the way I see it. When he's on the top of his game, he's one of the best. But, when he isn't, he's just another malcontent.

A first and a third for Peters isn't bad, but I have to believe that it would be a big step back.

The Bills signing T.O. for a one year deal indicates they think they are not that far away at least from the playoffs. (Actually I tend to agree). An ineperienced LT or even Walker is a huge step back.

For the risk/reward I think Peter getting a huge deal hopefully is probably no worse than giving a young draft choice big money. The team's left tackle is perhaps the second most important position on the offense.

The Bills need to get serious about winning. Maybe Peters will be getting paid too much, but free agents aren't flocking to Buffalo and they need to keep whatever good players they can.

He doesn't want to be here translates into holding out till halfway in the season and then playing like crap again. Take the picks.

Yeah, if he doesn't want to be here, then by all means move him. Once these guys get disrespected by an eight million dollar offer there is usually no more honeymoon.

Yeah, if he doesn't want to be here, then by all means move him. Once these guys get disrespected by an eight million dollar offer there is usually no more honeymoon.

We have been separated from this guy since he made his first probowl.