If you were building a team, what defensive position

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

DT......then DE.......then LB...... for me, it's all about getting the play over with in 4 seconds, pressure the QB. i don't care how good your secondary is, they can't cover for 6 or 7 seconds. i would invest heavily in the defensive line.

So far the consensus is favoring DTs. Why in the world has Buffalo, outside of Stroud, has made concessions at this position?

How disingenuous can you get? You create a "hypothetical" situation, and then try to make a point with a real-life example. It doesn't work that way.

In the real world, there are names attached to the positions, only certain players are available. There is CONTEXT!

Defensive End. It is the only position on the field that can dominate a game without relying on any help. It is also the only position that when played well helps everyone. DT is a not so distant second, but they don't have the same big play opportunities.

Build from the trenches back. Defensive tackles and ends first. Then linebackers, then corners, then safeties. Look at it this way. If you can't stop the runner before he he gets past the line of scrimmage, you are almost dead. If you give the quarterback two or more seconds than normal...you are dead. All the time. A great pass rush can make up less than stellar pass coverage, and run stuffers give the backers some flexibility. LINE first.

So far the consensus is favoring DTs. Why in the world has Buffalo, outside of Stroud, has made concessions at this position?

what are you talking about? Stroud is a major move. We signed Triplett in an attempt to better our situation, then we traded back into the first round to go after McCargo. All though McCargo hasn't turned out to be what we hoped, we made a concerted effort to improve in this area by trading back into the first round.

Look at the 1st rd of the draft since 2000. Between 2001-2003 seems to be the biggest run on DTs.

2000- 2 DTs were taken.

2001- 5 DTs were taken including Marcus Stroud.

2002- 4 DTs were taken including John Henderson. Jacksonville made it a priority, taking DTs in consecutive drafts.

2003- 4 DTs were taken.

2004- 2 DTs were taken.

2005- 2 DTs were taken.

2006- 3 DTs were taken including McCargo.

2007- 3 more DTs were taken including Adam Carriker who is listed as a NT.

2008- 2 DTs were taken.

Outside of the 2001-2003 draft (3 years) there has only been 14 DTs taken in the 1st rd in 6 drafts.

I don't think that this is a lot of prospects selected at a position that is considered to being so important to a defense. My question is this, are so few DTs taken in the 1st rd because of the lack of quality of players or is it because it's not the most important position to fill?

DL in general

OL on offense

It all begins in the trenchs, and if I'm GM I am focusing a higher percnetage of my efforts and making sure I have the best DL and OL I can field

without a doubt DT

Last time Bills were in playoffs they had Big Ted Washington and Pat Williams in the middle remember?

Dumbest thing they did under the Donahoe phase was to let big Pat go

The Bills have not been able to stop the run since

They had a chance to take Ngata (Ravens) over Whitner which was a huge mistake

Second would be an above average DE

But a stud DT is your best chance to make your linebackers better

A good DE makes your secondary better.

Of course this would be based on what kind of defensive scheme that you employed. If it was a 4-3 defense then I would start with a MLB and if it was a 3-4 defense that I would start with a NT. Like in baseball I believe that your strength would have to start up the middle of your defense. Who would you start with and why?

Pass rusher - no question. Without pressure on opposing QB's, there will be a repeat of last season.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Definitely DT.

But a DT that is not only immovable in the running game, but one that can collapse the pocket on passing downs- not talking about a guy like La'Roi Glover used to be (overrated DT that put up big numbers), a guy a long the lines of Haynesworth.

A great defensive end is nice, but even most of the elite 4-3 DE's in the league are liabilities against the run.

Of course this would be based on what kind of defensive scheme that you employed. If it was a 4-3 defense then I would start with a MLB and if it was a 3-4 defense that I would start with a NT. Like in baseball I believe that your strength would have to start up the middle of your defense. Who would you start with and why?

I think you are spot on about building up the middle. Sure, you'll get burned if you have any glaring weakness, but to get consistency, you build the middle.