If you were building a team, what defensive position

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

How disingenuous can you get? You create a "hypothetical" situation, and then try to make a point with a real-life example. It doesn't work that way.

In the real world, there are names attached to the positions, only certain players are available. There is CONTEXT!

I like threads like this Brian.

Assuming all players are equal, a pass rushing DE would be my choice. That said, LT was the best player I ever saw, so in terms of who I would want to start a team, it would be Taylor.

Truth be told, my second chouce would be Joe Greene, simply because he did it all. In his prime, no team could stop Joe Greene. Once in a while LTs would have a good day against Bruce, but I never saw Joe Greene get beat.

But again, taking these greats out of the equation, give me a pass rushing DE to disrupt the opposing offense.

I would take a Ted Washington-type nose tackle. He just elevated everyone else on the defense when he was in Buffalo. He made Bruce look about 4 years younger and helped turn Paup into a beast.....which helped the linebackers and secondary

The Broncos tried to win with corners and failed miserably. IMO, especially considering the money they get paid, corners are very overrated. Has Clements improved the 49ers defense at all? How are the Steelers corners? Pressure busts pipes and makes corners better players.

Why go to the Broncos...The Bills are a good example that has invested its high draft picks on DBs and have no playoffs to talk about.

I've posted this many times in the past. According to Bill Polian, when it comes to building a team, the 2nd most important position is DE. Since the first is QB, it would stand to reason that when it comes to building a defense, DE is most important according to Polian. When he said that in the 90s I could find no reason to argue and I still can't today.

It's DE by a mile.

GO BILLS!!!