My plan for Jason Peters and the Bills

Leonidas

Trade Peters for two 1st round picks and a second-day pick to Philly. If we have to throw in a mid-rounder to seal the deal then so be it. Turn around and send those two picks to Carolina for Julius Peppers, then sign Orlando Pace to a 2 year/$10M deal to play LT. Draft a mid-round (2nd/3rd round) LT to groom into the starting role (assuming this Demetrius Bell guy doesn't get it done) and let Pace - who only gave up 2.5 sacks last year (to Peters', what, 13.5?) - protect Trent's blindside. Then trade out of the #11 pick (assuming we didn't have to send it for Peppers) down to about #20 (and grab another third round pick while we're at it) and take our choice of TE (I assume Pettigrew is still the consensus #1 TE since apparently Nelson and Cook can't block?). Then, assuming we have signed an OLB and a LG we start drafting for depth and for the future, starting at LG/OL, FS, LB, DE, etc.

Thoughts?

Under that scenario I hope the trade down for an additional second if they are going to take a Tight End with their first round pick......

I am really not big on trading Peters but I REALLY LIKED what I saw of Bell.......

The thing is.....we might not be able to improve this team overall unless we make moves like this because of our ability to bring in the top guys and retain our own guys........I am normally dead set against trading a franchise left tackle.....but if we cant sign him?

Trade Peters for two 1st round picks and a second-day pick to Philly. If we have to throw in a mid-rounder to seal the deal then so be it. Turn around and send those two picks to Carolina for Julius Peppers, then sign Orlando Pace to a 2 year/$10M deal to play LT. Draft a mid-round (2nd/3rd round) LT to groom into the starting role (assuming this Demetrius Bell guy doesn't get it done) and let Pace - who only gave up 2.5 sacks last year (to Peters', what, 13.5?) - protect Trent's blindside. Then trade out of the #11 pick (assuming we didn't have to send it for Peppers) down to about #20 (and grab another third round pick while we're at it) and take our choice of TE (I assume Pettigrew is still the consensus #1 TE since apparently Nelson and Cook can't block?). Then, assuming we have signed an OLB and a LG we start drafting for depth and for the future, starting at LG/OL, FS, LB, DE, etc.

Thoughts?

How is this different than the other Peters trade threads? In those threads, people are postinga their ideas for a trade. Apparently, you think your version of the trade is so special, it needs its own thread.

It's not, and it doesn't.

How is this different than the other Peters trade threads? In those threads, people are postinga their ideas for a trade. Apparently, you think your version of the trade is so special, it needs its own thread.

Well aren't you fun...

My point was that it wasn't just a Jason Peters thread or a draft thread or a "sign Cato June" thread, but a thread on what the Bills should do facing all these situations at once. Thanks for your input though, it's invaluable... :ph34r:

I think the odds are pretty good that the Bills are exploring these types of scenarios already, behind the scenes, if for no other reason than to help them do "market research" to see how much Peters is truly worth paying should they decide to keep him. You owe it to yourself not to enter high stakes negotiations in a vacuum without understanding the current market.

And I think he is worth a boatload on the open market. A young franchise Pro Bowl LT doesn't come on the open market very often and I don't think 3 or 4 first day picks are out of the question. The issue is not what he's worth to the Bills, but what he is worth to other teams - that is what drives the market.

If you are the Bills and find that the street FA you picked up a few years ago has turned into the golden ticket, you have to look at trading that for the chance to fill out your roster with quality at several positions.

I think the odds are pretty good that the Bills are exploring these types of scenarios already, behind the scenes, if for no other reason than to help them do "market research" to see how much Peters is truly worth paying should they decide to keep him. You owe it to yourself not to enter high stakes negotiations in a vacuum without understanding the current market.

And I think he is worth a boatload on the open market. A young franchise Pro Bowl LT doesn't come on the open market very often and I don't think 3 or 4 first day picks are out of the question. The issue is not what he's worth to the Bills, but what he is worth to other teams - that is what drives the market.

If you are the Bills and find that the street FA you picked up a few years ago has turned into the golden ticket, you have to look at trading that for the chance to fill out your roster with quality at several positions.

His talent is worth a lot, but when you combine that with an $11 Million + dollar a year contract, all of a sudden the market gets a lot smaller as does his value.

Remember, part of the equation of value is not just talent, but it's talent+price=value

Thoughts?

so Peters is in the prime of his career at 27 and due to get paid $3.5 mil

you want to sign Pace, who is over 30 and been injured the last 3 years to $5 mil / yr (more than Peters) so we can have another overpaid underperforming player on the OL.

just pay Peters as the elite OT that he is.

The Bills will just waste whatever picks they get from a trade anyway.

you want to sign Pace, who is over 30 and been injured the last 3 years to $5 mil / yr (more than Peters) so we can have another overpaid underperforming player on the OL.

Just asking, but how do we know that Peters is an "elite OT"? He's played two full seasons at the position. He appeared to play well in 07 and not so well in '08.

With most other positions, it is more easy to quantify performance. Is t the "Pro Bowl" designations? Is it one of those situations where, since we can't clearly quantify performance here, we are simply saying he's one of the best because others have said so--and we don't have any other "elite" players on the team?

If we look at his performance last year (11.5 sacks given up) and conclude that he is one of the best at his position, i.e. that's as good as it gets, is it really worth 11+ million a year to get that kind of performance, at best, year after year?

Wasn't this guy an undrafted morbidly obese TE when we found him and simply made him an OT? Is it impossible that we couldn't do the same with another morbidly obese lineman already on the team, or in the draft.

Just asking.

Dean, I am liking you more and more. Someone who tells it like it is. Isnt orlando pace a guard anyways? And who in their right mind is going to give up both number ones and a 2 in the draft. Thats just insane and the eagles arent that stupid.

How is Peters so Elite? I just don`t get it. He is NOT worth the MONEY . If he was I would be the first to start screaming to sign him. He plain and simple sucked last yr,no matter what. 1 yr wonders don`t cut it in my book. I watched every game last yr of him giving up sack after sack. And no he really didn`t come on at the end. The big injury came at the end,LOL.Probably saving himself for the big fat contract. Excuses are like azzholes ,everybodys got one ,but they still stink. :ph34r:

Just asking, but how do we know that Peters is an "elite OT"? He's played two full seasons at the position. He appeared to play well in 07 and not so well in '08.

With most other positions, it is more easy to quantify performance. Is t the "Pro Bowl" designations? Is it one of those situations where, since we can't clearly quantify performance here, we are simply saying he's one of the best because others have said so--and we don't have any other "elite" players on the team?

If we look at his performance last year (11.5 sacks given up) and conclude that he is one of the best at his position, i.e. that's as good as it gets, is it really worth 11+ million a year to get that kind of performance, at best, year after year?

Wasn't this guy an undrafted morbidly obese TE when we found him and simply made him an OT? Is it impossible that we couldn't do the same with another morbidly obese lineman already on the team, or in the draft.

Just asking.

Agreed, why are people so torn on peters?, the guy is obviously on an ego trip and we can do without another big ego since we just acquired one, too much"me" and not enough"we" is not what this team needs.IMOP I don't think he deserved the pro bowl last year, (11.5 sacks given up),messed with the OL chemistry, spoiled rotten, I'm not coming to camp unless I get my way, what a jerk. The Bills desreve better from him, without them, he'd be out on the street. Get whatever you can for him, a couple day one picks, 1st and 3rd or better, the 11.5 million can be used in alot of other areas!

(??? he wants 1 million $ for every sack he gave up last year ???)

Thoughts?

geat post this would work ...

What did you lose your mind, he is not elite after his play last season..Did you watch any of his games?

Agreed, why are people so torn on peters?, the guy is obviously on an ego trip and we can do without another big ego since we just acquired one, too much"me" and not enough"we" is not what this team needs.IMOP I don't think he deserved the pro bowl last year, (11.5 sacks given up),messed with the OL chemistry, spoiled rotten, I'm not coming to camp unless I get my way, what a jerk. The Bills desreve better from him, without them, he'd be out on the street. Get whatever you can for him, a couple day one picks, 1st and 3rd or better, the 11.5 million can be used in alot of other areas!

(??? he wants 1 million $ for every sack he gave up last year ???)

Reading my mind word for word. :ph34r:

Thoughts?

Intriguing.

I ran the DraftTek Simulator and it takes Pettigrew in Round 1 (TE done), forced picking LT Beatty in Round 2 (LT done, although I notice Drew Robinson LG would have been a better choice at that pick), Round 3 would be Rashad Johnson (FS Alabama), and Round 4 would be Nic Harris (OLB Oklahoma).

Not a bad way to go. We end up with

Peppers

Pace

Pettigrew

Robinson or Beatty

Rashad Johnson

Nic Harris

Dean, I am liking you more and more. Someone who tells it like it is. Isnt orlando pace a guard anyways? And who in their right mind is going to give up both number ones and a 2 in the draft. Thats just insane and the eagles arent that stupid.

What???? Orlando Pace has played LT every snap of his career. And I said two firsts and a second day pick, as in a late-rounder. There has been a lot of speculation not only on this board, but on Buffalo radio that Philly would be willing to part with at least two first round picks for him, so it's not out of the question.

What did you lose your mind, he is not elite after his play last season..Did you watch any of his games?

Thank you, that's what I've been saying for days now. If someone else wants to pay him like an elite tackle and will give us substantial value for him then send him on his way. He had one nice season at RT and one solid one at LT. Then he sh-- the bed at LT for an entire season. That doesn't sound elite. Pace is a HOF LT, even if he is 33. He still gave up about 10 fewer sacks than Peters last year.

Thoughts?

Only problem is that Peppers will almost want that 13M per year that Peters is demanding....Now the BIlls will end up paying for Pace, Peppers, and a first round pick....While they may have addressed their DE and OT needs, I just don't see the Bills paying for 3 topnotch DEs, especially when Stroud and McGee have to be signed next year along with probably extending Edwards if he has a good year.