Some A-Hole In NJ Won The $212 Million Lottery!!

Steely Dan

GRRRR!

Shoulda been ME!

I had plans for that dough!!! :rolleyes::(:thumbsup::lol:

Steely not saying this is you .... with that out of the way ...

Sadly, statistics show that a large percentage of the American public believes that the road to riches is paved with lottery tickets or winnings from a lawsuit. What happened to belief in hard work, investing, saving and building?

Sadly, statistics show that a large percentage of the American public believes that the road to riches is paved with lottery tickets or winnings from a lawsuit. What happened to belief in hard work, investing, saving and building?

Yeah, I read somewhere that 17% of people in America below the poverty line believe that buying lottery tickets is their vehicle out of the slums. It's pretty messed up.

What happened to belief in hard work, investing, saving and building?

Not to turn this into a PPP thread but that mentaility left a long time ago. It is much easier to steal, sue, or just collect from the government.

What happened to belief in hard work, investing, saving and building?

I tried that, my 401K is now a 234K, a few bucks towards lotto is just a little hope against the deteriorating conditions that we have endured over the last 10 months.

I know it's sad. I buy one ticket for every drawing figuring someday I may hit the damn thing and it's fun to daydream.

Frickin NJ dork!!! :wallbash:

"Some A-Hole In NJ"

Isn't that redundant?

:nana:

NJ America's armpit.

Ha ha, the suckers that won have to split it 10 ways....

NJ insurance workers' payout: $216M lottery win

After taxes, they'll only get about $10 million each.

So, this article has me somewhat believing in humanity again. How cool that he went by the dudes desk who owed him the $5 for the tickets, said pay me NOW dude, and then says as soon as he pays him"congrats, your a millionaire" Seems like lately you would have read"Man sues to get his share of lottry winnings after co-worker denied he was in. Man never paid his $5.

Maybe just me, but i think that is cool

So, this article has me somewhat believing in humanity again. How cool that he went by the dudes desk who owed him the $5 for the tickets, said pay me NOW dude, and then says as soon as he pays him"congrats, your a millionaire" Seems like lately you would have read"Man sues to get his share of lottry winnings after co-worker denied he was in. Man never paid his $5.

I liked that too. I wonder how the people that usually play but decided not to feel.

The guy was cool for doing that.

The lottery is in essence a tax on the stupid. As for these winners, good for them. However I hope they don't fall victim to what so many do when they come into so much money. Time and time again you read about how people blow through millions of dollars that comes in a windfall. Each one of these people should already have an attorney and/or financial advisor to help steer them away from potential pitfalls. I'm sure family, friends and co-workers are already descending upon them like vultures.

Also... About 25% of people marry for LOVE... :rolleyes::lol:

Really.

The lottery is in essence a tax on the stupid. As for these winners, good for them. However I hope they don't fall victim to what so many do when they come into so much money. Time and time again you read about how people blow through millions of dollars that comes in a windfall. Each one of these people should already have an attorney and/or financial advisor to help steer them away from potential pitfalls. I'm sure family, friends and co-workers are already descending upon them like vultures.

no, its not a tax on the stupid, its a tax on the poor

but you are right about everything else. if i were to hit the jackpot, i wouldnt even allow myself to be in the news. id have a lawyer/security team pick up the check and deposit it. I wouldnt even tell my family that i won the lottery. I would tell them that an engineer from our consulting firm and i delevoped something and patented it and sold it. No way would i put myself out there to the public as a new multi-millionaire.

I have a theory on this:

1) Television. People see the good life on numerous television shows and they begin to wonder how they can get it. About the same time as television became really popular, the first state lottery came along in New Hampshire. The biggest annual prize at the time was $50,000.00, IIRC (this was in the early 60s).

2) People have gotten lazier. Many already depend on the govt. to take care of them, so what's shelling out a few bucks for lottery tickets? You might get lucky. You have a better chance of being struck by lightning, too.

3) This is more of an effect, and this is gonna sound heartless, but live with it: Some people just don't know how to handle money. It's one reason why you see so many lottery winners filing for bankruptcy within a few years. There should be mandatory courses in public schools about money management, because we have completely forgotten the word "thrift" in this country.

I've had my own business for 11 years, and I have to save every year for my retirement and taxes. You learn a hell of a lot when you're in charge of your own success or failure.